PDA

View Full Version : 1970s-80s MLB Jerseys

Jayworld
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Growing up in the 1970s, I tend to gravitate to the MLB jerseys from the 1975-85 period, which was predominately colorful uniforms and pull-over jersey styles. I have found it interesting that very few of these surface on eBay or elsewhere, especially the "collar" jerseys of the White Sox, the various Oakland A's jerseys of the late 1970s-early 1980s, and the early Toronto Bluejays and Seattle Mariners jerseys.

To me, the Texas Rangers had some wonderful jerseys during the 1975-80 period (with two button collars) and very color home jerseys. These rarely surface, especially the one-year road powder blues from 1975 that featured the TEXAS moniker in bold letters...

I have wondered if there is a rarity scale on the MLB jerseys from this era, and if so, which teams/jerseys rate high in rareness or scarcity? If so, why?

Thanks,
Jay

sox83cubs84
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Growing up in the 1970s, I tend to gravitate to the MLB jerseys from the 1975-85 period, which was predominately colorful uniforms and pull-over jersey styles. I have found it interesting that very few of these surface on eBay or elsewhere, especially the "collar" jerseys of the White Sox, the various Oakland A's jerseys of the late 1970s-early 1980s, and the early Toronto Bluejays and Seattle Mariners jerseys.

To me, the Texas Rangers had some wonderful jerseys during the 1975-80 period (with two button collars) and very color home jerseys. These rarely surface, especially the one-year road powder blues from 1975 that featured the TEXAS moniker in bold letters...

I have wondered if there is a rarity scale on the MLB jerseys from this era, and if so, which teams/jerseys rate high in rareness or scarcity? If so, why?

Thanks,
Jay

There are some really tough-to-find styles out there, Jay. The 1972 Indians pullovers (red letters and numbers) are almost impossible to locate. Ditto 1972 Angels or Astros that have the original NOB. The 1971 orange Orioles knits made by Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods have only 2 accounted for, according to a 1990s era Phil Wood article. Early, and legitimate, Astros rainbows (specifically 1975-76) are pretty scarce as well. One almost has to accept restored or NOBR specimens on these, unless they've got nearly unlimited time and ample funds.

Dave M.
Chicago area

uhgrad2002
11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Might it be due to recycing? My understanding is that at least some teams (my financially underpowered Indians being one) saved money by sending uniforms to the minor league teams for re-use.

Mark Perkins

sox83cubs84
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Might it be due to recycing? My understanding is that at least some teams (my financially underpowered Indians being one) saved money by sending uniforms to the minor league teams for re-use.

Mark Perkins

100% correct. While some collectors will fill their wants with nicely restored or NOBR pieces, there are also hobby purists that won't even consider a legitimately restored piece. The strive for perfection, though, is more costly and slower-moving than a less stringent approach.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
the yankees and blue jays were always tuff to find...the rainbows were a lil easier,not much tho....those days the jerseys were game used over and over, almost to shreds...even mesh jerseys were recycled, always wondered how much effort it took to strip mesh shirts....

sox83cubs84
11-12-2009, 01:15 PM
the yankees and blue jays were always tuff to find...the rainbows were a lil easier,not much tho....those days the jerseys were game used over and over, almost to shreds...even mesh jerseys were recycled, always wondered how much effort it took to strip mesh shirts....

Yeah...back then, the Yankees and Jays were among the top 3 to 5 in terms of overall scarcity, unlike now. Still, 1970s Blue Jays and legitimate early/mid 1970s Yankees knits are pretty difficult. With Astros Rainbows
there was a bulk purchase by the Hartels back in the 1990s, but what they got was pretty much 1980s vintage. The 1975's (with the number heat transferred onto a sewn-on white circle on the back with stylized numbers) and 1976 (same stylized numbers, but sewn-on with no white circle as a background) are very hard to find to this day. The 1972-74 Astors styles are no easy pickup, as well.

Dave M.
Chicago area

RJB44
11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Jay - I have to agree, the 80's knits are getting harder to find. I started a project this year to acquire at least one knit GU jersey from each of the (1980-1989 era) 26 teams. I have about a dozen thus far and focus on non high profile or otherwise common player jerseys. I am more interested in the jersey style of that era then the player, plus cost is more reasonable. Some teams are virtually impossible to find, without paying premium, but I continue the pursuit. I expect this to be a long term project that will eventually evolve into having each a road and home jersey. I also won't shy away from 1970s knits, if reasonable.

Thanks

RJB44

Jayworld
11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. I've been watching eBay for about 3-4 years, and I've noticed the following:

1. White Sox - the red pinstripe era jerseys turn up every once in a while, especially the home ones, but for some reason the 1976-81 collared jerseys don't seem to turn up much at all. Weird.

2. Padres - the non-button down 1980-83 turn up a great deal, but the brown road jerseys seem much more prevalent than the home whites. I have only seen 3-4 instances of the pre-1980 Padres jerseys. One was a super rare 1978 alternate gold body with brown sleeves.

3. Texas Rangers - for some reason, these 2-button jerseys from the mid-to-late 1970s don't turn up much at all. When they do, it is usually the powder-blue road jerseys.

4. Seattle Mariners - perhaps I'm just missing these, but I've never seen the first year or later year powder blue road jerseys (later years with the blue-gold stripes running from the neck down the sides of the jerseys).

Any other thoughts? What seem to be the most prevalent team jerseys from the mid 1970s to mid 1980s?

RJB44
11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I have see quite a few Reds home jerseys from the 1980s over the years. Also, Angels seem to pop-up more often. For the 1970s, I would say Brewers and Expos pop-up more often. Although the majority of the jerseys from both periods are getting harder to find, I seem to think that White Sox jerseys from 1976-1981, both home and away are one of the hardest to find. Oakland jerseys from 1972 to 1981 are also hard to come by, as are Red Sox. One thing that plays a major factor on availability is if the clubs recycled the MLB jerseys to the minor leagues, which many clubs did during the 70s and 80s. Often you will see period jerseys hit the market with missing names plates, changed numbers and other minor alternations. Once they went down to the farm, minor league teams could do whatever they wanted with them. I have also wondered some of these 80s & 70s Jerseys that were never altered ended up in private collections. Were players allowed to keep their jersey? Obviously there wasn't much inventory control back then. I always liked the claim "obtained directly from batboy" so he stole it right? I have a interesteing story related this, since I was a "clubhouse boy" for a California Angels minor league team back in 1982. BTW, in the minor leagues back then, the team always made sure to get back all their jerseys at season end, as they didn't have the money to obtain new ones.

sox83cubs84
11-14-2009, 07:41 PM
The 1976-81 White Sox jerseys are out there, but most are in collections, and few are offered. Finding one in nice shape is somewhat more difficult, as the Sox recycled them. While they were hobby-friendly in that they didn't change fronts or remove NOBs on this style, the plating over both elements that they did is often obvious due to sun fading for the rest of the jersey...faded navy over most of the jersey, and dark navy around the CHICAGO and the NOB.

Dave M.
Chicago area

cohibasmoker
11-14-2009, 08:57 PM
How about early 1970's Pirates jerseys? We don't see many of those babies around.

On the flip side, how about Dodgers and Angels jerseys that were made by Goodman's? In the early 1980's, those jerseys were all over the place then they disappeared. Sadly, they seem to have made a resurgence back into the hobby.

Jim