PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Pirates Pitchers Romo & Scurry

The Lumber Company
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a few Pirates pitchers bats that I am chasing and I was wondering if any bats acctually exist. The players and Enrique Romo, Jim Bibby, Joe Coleman, Dock Ellis and Rod Scurry. Is there a way to obtain records from these types of non-mainstream players that I need to complete team sets?
Thanks,
Marty

sayhey24
06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Marty,

I can definitely tell you that I've seen Dock Ellis All Star and/or World Series game bats for sale, but that was quite a few years ago.

Greg

JimCaravello
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi Marty - we unfortunately do not have the records of those players. Pitchers bats are tough to find from this era. I actually owned a 1976 Doc Ellis World Series bat at one time, which I eventually sold a few years ago. Just keep looking on ebay and in the major auctions and you may get lucky sometime.....Good Luck!! Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

The Lumber Company
06-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the insight. I guess my question should have been more pointed. I do not understand these mysterious bat records. Are there records of all players that ever ordered through LVS? Can I find population reports on any player and not just the more popular players?

I scour all corners of the earth for these odd ball bats but sometimes I would like to know if I am chasing a dead horse. I know these bats are tough to find but I am trying to find out what my chances are.

I don't know if maybe the records exise but no one cares to tabulate all of this non-mainstream data for the less popular players.

Who holds these records? Are there an annointed few or are these records part of the public domian?

Thanks for any insight....
And the question that I always close with.....
Any Pirates bats for sale???
Regards,
Marty

JimCaravello
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Marty - to answer your specific questions:

1. I don't think that the records are mysterious, although at times they may seem to be. As has been mentioned in previous posts on Game Used Universe in the past, there have been a few people who have made their way into Louisville Slugger and found the right person who would assist in helping consumers with questions about bats. People like myself, Mike Specht, John Taube, Vince Malta and Dave Bushing are a few of the people I know that have had success over the years in obtaining records from Louisville Slugger. I now of other collectors who have also found their way into the "vault" and received a few records over the years. I found the right person who could help me several years ago - Karen Devoto. She is no longer with the company and took early retirement I believe last year. She was very helpful and fortunately, before she left Louisville Slugger, I obtained hundreds of records for my own personal collecting purposes. It all started for me several years ago when I was researching that Aldo Caravello bat that I mentioned in one of my blogs in the Expert's Corner. When I bought that bat - and with my very uncommon Italian name ( except in Sicily, where you will run into a few Caravellos ) - I wanted to do as much research as I could and I started with Louisville Slugger and found Karen.

2. I have found in my research of player's records that if a player played professionally ( which includes the minor leagues and semi-pro ball ) and they used Lousville Slugger bats that they ordered from Louisville Slugger, there should be a card for them on file which would detail all their orders. I have a good friend of mine who lives in Charlotte - his Dad played semi-pro ball for a New York team in the 50's. My friend had two block letter Louisville Slugger bats that his Dad left him - When Karen was still at Louisville, I requested that record and sure enough - he had about 10 orders in the 50's. He played the equivalent of A or AA ball back then.

The block letter aspect brings up another point. If a player had block letter bats, they did not have an exclusive contract with Louisville Slugger but were able to still order bats. Once a player signed a contract with Louisville, the bats they ordered were produced for them with their signature on the barrel.

Some examples of players who used both Adirondack and Louisville Slugger bats during their career but had contracts with Adirondack and not Louisville Slugger were Mike Schmidt, Willie Mays, and Willie McCovey. Their Louisville Slugger orders were all block letter model bats. Their Adirondack orders were all signature models.

I am sure there is a simple file in the archives of Louisville Slugger that lists every player that has ever ordered a bat from them since they started keeping records. I have never thought to ask for that in the past. I wouldn't even know who to call these days - but you can always try to place a call into the corporate office and see if you can be directed to someone who might help you. If you are successful and can find that person and list, you should be able to find out if the players you are collecting ordered bats from Louisville in the past - then you will know if your pursuit is valid in trying to collect those bats.

3. Lastly - you are correct - no one seems to care about the non-stars.........except me! If you ever want to see my George Zeber bat from the 70's - let me know. The bat is awesome and I cherish it. I collect 77 and 78 Yankees bats and Zeber was a member of both teams.....you are not alone in your quest for non star bats............

Let me know if I can be of any further help and good luck in your collecting pursuits!! Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

The Lumber Company
06-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the info. The last time I tried to call Louisville Slugger I think they referred my to Dave Bushing. I guess that I will give it another swing.

I have another question. I just received a Dave Parker bat that has me kind of puzzled. It is from a very reputable Pirates dealer but I have a legit question that maybe you can help me with.

The bat is a 1977-79 LVS R161. It is a block letter and it barely 35" long. Is there any reason why Parker would have a block letter during this period when he had signature model bats before and after?

I don't feel like this was a Parker bat but I don't want to ask for a refund until I have all my ducks in a row.
Thanks,
Marty

b.heagy
06-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Marty,
You may already know - Hunt Auctions is having a very nice selection of Pittsburgh memorabilia including game used memorabilia from a private collection. Alot of items are in the current catalog along with more from the collection being sold in an upcoming Louisville Slugger auction. They may have what you are lookiging for. Thought I would pass it along for those interested.

Take Care,
Bill

JimCaravello
06-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Marty - sorry for the delay, as I have been traveling the last four days. Dave Parker bats from the 77-79 labeling period should be signature model bats. During this period, Parker ordered quite a few R161 model bats, but NONE were less than 36" in length. The combination of the short length and Block Letter stamping would lead me to ask a lot of questions on the bat. Prior to this labeling period, the last 35" bat Parker ordered was in 1973. Nothing less than 36" was ordered until he retired except for one 35" order of Z19 bats in 1976. I hope this helps - let me know if I can be of further assistance. Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com