PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dave Miedema, Sox83/Cubs84

Danny899
11-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello Dave,
It's great seeing you lend your knowledge to this forum as I've always cherished the opportunity to enhance my awareness through your insight. Many collectors swear by the belief that only 0062 tagging on Majestic jerseys are gamers while 6200's are merely retail. While most of the items in my collection are Wilson, Russell, Rawlings, SandKnit and Mcauliffe, I haven't owned many Majestics so my education on them is somewhat limited. I currently own 3 Dodger jerseys, obtained directly from reputable sources. (Team and player letters) These jerseys are custom tailored, signed, and show considerable wear. They are however, tagged with 6200. My question is, are you also under this belief that only 0062's are genuine gamers? I remember many years ago you mentioned that collectors shouldn't believe that jerseys designs and identifiers are all alike. Slight deviations in tagging, fonts, size, flag and strip locations should not automatically render a piece as not authentic, you taught. Your help would be greatly appreciated as I've always valued your humble expertise. Lastly it's excellent to see that the moderators of this site will become more vigilent in ensuring the professionalism and integrity of this forum. Certainly more collectors and dealers will partake here, knowing their input will not be subject to bullying or ridicule, rather it will be received with appreciation

Respectfully Submitted,
Danny899

David
11-10-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm not the Dave you're looking for, but I can pipe in a little bit. From what I've seen, the 0062/6200 deal is a general rule, not an absolute one. Exceptions do exist, and I've seen 6200 tagged jerseys that came directly from the player. And, of course, 0062 sometimes showed up on retail racks.

Danny899
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not the Dave you're looking for, but I can pipe in a little bit. From what I've seen, the 0062/6200 deal is a general rule, not an absolute one. Exceptions do exist, and I've seen 6200 tagged jerseys that came directly from the player. And, of course, 0062 sometimes showed up on retail racks.

Dave, thanks for your help. I figured there would be exceptions to this theory.

sox83cubs84
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Danny:

The other David has it right. It's a general rule that is the norm, but not absolute. If the jersey was a no-name or came with some sort of team provenance (LOA, receipt, etc), I wouldn't worry too much. Where the 6200 tags will cause great consternation is when they're attached to major star jerseys (Pujols, A-Rod, Man-Ram, etc.) that have no reliable provenance. I'd also be wary if the jersey had this inside seam tag conveniently cut out. Finally, when examing items with MEARS (and also evident in posts on GUF), forgers have been known to remove the 6200 tag and sew in a 0062 tag. Checking just how the "correct" tag is affixed to the seam is also important when obtaining high-demand jerseys without reliable provenance.

Hope this helps.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Danny899
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Danny:

The other David has it right. It's a general rule that is the norm, but not absolute. If the jersey was a no-name or came with some sort of team provenance (LOA, receipt, etc), I wouldn't worry too much. Where the 6200 tags will cause great consternation is when they're attached to major star jerseys (Pujols, A-Rod, Man-Ram, etc.) that have no reliable provenance. I'd also be wary if the jersey had this inside seam tag conveniently cut out. Finally, when examing items with MEARS (and also evident in posts on GUF), forgers have been known to remove the 6200 tag and sew in a 0062 tag. Checking just how the "correct" tag is affixed to the seam is also important when obtaining high-demand jerseys without reliable provenance.

Hope this helps.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave,
Thanks again for all your help. It's great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well.
Dan