PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leonhard jersey goes for over 1k on NFL Auctions

legaleagle92481
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I just saw that a Jim Leonhard AFL Throwback jersey has sold for over a grand on NFL auctions tonight. He is a solid player and a good story (he was undrafted) but far from remotely being a star and will likely never even make a single pro bowl. He also plays safety which is far from a "glamour position". Does anyone else think this price is insane?

TriplexXxSports
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
All stuff that sells on NFL Auctions is grossly overpriced. On the bright side of things, it is for a good cause. Since its for a charity its nothing more than a tax write off to most of the people who buy stuff from there.

jhunt28
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
All stuff that sells on NFL Auctions is grossly overpriced. On the bright side of things, it is for a good cause. Since its for a charity its nothing more than a tax write off to most of the people who buy stuff from there.

You think people take tax writeoffs on this stuff? It clearly says "Please note: No charitable deductions will be offered for the items".

grosenbrook
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I was actually the second highest bidder on the jersey. I live about an hour away from where Jim grew up so I am a HUGH fan of his. I also have his White Throwback and a Green home jets game jerseys reserved from JOsports so I wanted this dark Throwback as well to display with his white one. I also have 2 pairs of cleats and 2 pairs of gloves that he signed and used this year that I am getting from his Agent.

jhunt28
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I was actually the second highest bidder on the jersey. I live about an hour away from where Jim grew up so I am a HUGH fan of his. I also have his White Throwback and a Green home jets game jerseys reserved from JOsports so I wanted this dark Throwback as well to display with his white one. I also have 2 pairs of cleats and 2 pairs of gloves that he signed and used this year that I am getting from his Agent.

Nice story...did you get his white throwback from his agent?

grosenbrook
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
No I am getting the White Throwback from JOsports, it also comes with his pants and socks. I am only getting the cleats and gloves from his agent. I should have them this week hopefully, Jim came back to Madison last week during the Jets bye week and was going to bring them with him since his agent is in Madison also.

TriplexXxSports
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
You think people take tax writeoffs on this stuff? It clearly says "Please note: No charitable deductions will be offered for the items".

Yes I do.

jbcindc
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
You're not supposed to take a tax write off for stuff you buy from NFL Auctions/Charities, because you received something for your donation. While I've never taken a write off, I agree with Triple X that many people probably have.

TriplexXxSports
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
There are factors surrounding a claim because you did receive a said item for your donation price, however in those cases, I believe you have to factor in the value of the said item and deduct that from you donation amount. (i.e. you donate $1000 for a jersey that has a $750 value, you can only claim $250 as a donation). Some forms very. The generic form you use (or at least the one I use here) is vague enough in the literature that as long as a receipt, date of donation, and the amount of the donation is verified you are able to claim it. As long as the noted charity retains a 501(c)(3) status (which NFL Auctions does) you are able to legally claim your donation.