PDA

View Full Version : Steve Largent Helmet Auction

princip
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Steve Largent helmet up for auction at americanmemorabilia, worn during his last year(1989) with the team. All of the photos I have of Largent that year do not match this helmet, including the game where Largent broke Don Hutson's TD record. Due to the fact that the black text warning label at the right aft section on the outside shell, is not present. This helmet looks to be a mish mash of actual components that Largent wore? Thus, I am not doubting the legitimacy that this helmet, or, some of the components of the helmet were worn by Largent, just not as a whole? Also, very little wear on the helmet compared to the mask, and the decals look to be more of the smaller nineties version. Lastly, the facemask scrapings are not consistent with any pics of Largent that year.

Steve Largent 1989 Helmet Auction (http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=53074&auccat=Football%20Game-Worn)

Week 13 vs. Bengals the day he broke Don Hutson's TD record:
http://www.greenglare.com/images/week_13_89.jpg

Week 16 last catch as a Seahawk against Redskins:
http://www.greenglare.com/images/week_16_89.jpg

If anyone has any pictures of Largent that year where the warning label is clearly seen(@ right back), please post the pics.

Just to note, Steve Largent did indeed wear a WD-1 helmet that year, and it does look like in the one pic. where you can see the DYMO tape residue on the inside shell, a faint #80. So, at what point in 1989 did he wear this helmet?

princip
11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
American Memorabilia just called me and said they don't understand why I have any issues with this helmet? To be fair, this is what I heard from the message they left and didn't get a chance to talk to them. However, why would there be any confusion as to the red flags with this helmet? You don't even have to know anything about football helmets to see the inconsistencies in the photo matching.

I wish this were the helmet that Largent wore when he broke Don Hutson's record in Cincy. Yet, I am quite positive it's not. I also would not want to pay over a grand on a helmet that can't be photomatched to the tee.

cohibasmoker
11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
American Memorabilia just called me and said they don't understand why I have any issues with this helmet? To be fair, this is what I heard from the message they left and didn't get a chance to talk to them. However, why would there be any confusion as to the red flags with this helmet? You don't even have to know anything about football helmets to see the inconsistencies in the photo matching.

I wish this were the helmet that Largent wore when he broke Don Hutson's record in Cincy. Yet, I am quite positive it's not. I also would not want to pay over a grand on a helmet that can't be photomatched to the tee.

Mike - I don't understand why American Memorabilia contacted you. Your questions appear to be legitimate and aren't you entitled to your opinion?

Jim