PDA

View Full Version : Favre Vikings jersey up for bid

lisicki
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok guys...here is the first Favre Vikings jersey up for auction on NFL Auctions...

Has a 21 day auction.....let's see how high this one goes!

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110343457&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=110690167

geoff
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Lets All Guess how Much for Fun.

I Guess 16 Thousand Dollars.

Thanks
Geoff

genius
11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Looks just like a replica with a pink Captain's patch.

Lokee
11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
My guess will be $18,545

cohibasmoker
11-02-2009, 04:20 PM
What did the Sanchez jersey go for at JO Sports - 20K? I say it will go for more than the Sanchez jersey.

Jim

jhunt28
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
What did the Sanchez jersey go for at JO Sports - 20K? I say it will go for more than the Sanchez jersey.

Jim

SUPPOSEDLY $20k...I think someone asked, not sure if an answer was ever given.

TriplexXxSports
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
SUPPOSEDLY $20k...I think someone asked, not sure if an answer was ever given.

It was $20K, I saw it on the website.....poor fool.

ANYWAY, I am guessing it will be under 10k.

jhunt28
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
It was $20K, I saw it on the website.....poor fool.

ANYWAY, I am guessing it will be under 10k.

I know that's what it listed for...but I think sometimes those sell for different prices that what they are asking, that's why they say $0.00 after the sale. But I'm sure JO can chime in on this subject if they choose to on this forum.

TriplexXxSports
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I know that's what it listed for...but I think sometimes those sell for different prices that what they are asking, that's why they say $0.00 after the sale. But I'm sure JO can chime in on this subject if they choose to on this forum.

When I saw it on the site it was already sold but still had the $20k price tag on it. I know that the sale price stays up for a little bit before they update it to read 0.00.

With my own 2 eyes I saw $20,000.00. Even if it really went for $10k, or even 5k, that is still way too much for an unproven QB who, no sooner than that jersey sold, threw 5 picks and just fell apart. Just my .02 though.

josportsco
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
To clarify, The Sanchez did sell for $20,000. If it sold for any other number we have to change it to the sell price for the customer to check out through our system. We used to keep our sell prices active after the sell but it was brought to our attention after we sold a listed price jersey for $5k that the customer asked for the price to be removed. This is the same for a large sale we had in August. Customers purchase for the sale price and negotiated prices. So we decided at that time to take all prices down. Now, as for the Favre I guess NFL Auctions beat us to the punch for the FIRST Favre jersey to hit the market. Our first allotment of Favre are actually coming this week-- Favre first Vikings jersey at Cleveland with blood stain (SOLD), 9/20 at Detroit, 9/27 vs. SF (the pass), 10/5 vs. GB Throwback (SOLD), 10/25 at Pitt (SOLD). Hope this helps.
Jarrod

indyred
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Would be nice if they said what game the Favre was worn in. Was it washed? Anyone know if he is switching jerseys at half.
I'll guess 8k for it. If it was photo matched, documented what game it was from then i'd say over 10k.

The Sanchez sale price is really nobodies business. If buyer wants to say, good for them.

nickacs
11-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Would be nice if they said what game the Favre was worn in. Was it washed? Anyone know if he is switching jerseys at half.
I'll guess 8k for it. If it was photo matched, documented what game it was from then i'd say over 10k.

The Sanchez sale price is really nobodies business. If buyer wants to say, good for them.

Yea, I want to know what game it's from. JO seems to have gotten a lot of them, so the NFL auctions one can't be used for more than 1 game I'd think, no??
Plus you see what I noticed in that the jersey looks way too clean?? I hate that, I want unwashed ones with some rips, stains and dirt on my NFL jerseys :) haha...

My guess is with or without photomatching, the jersey is going to go for big bucks..

I'll say $14,200 ;)

cohibasmoker
11-02-2009, 06:56 PM

I'm with you brother - its between the seller and the buyer.

worldchamps
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
seeing it is for charity...i think this jersey will far surpass any guess...wouldnt be surprised to see 30K or even higher....these items usually dont sell to guu collectors....it will be a tax write off for some multi millionaire...that is my guess

worldchamps
11-02-2009, 07:09 PM
seeing it is for charity...i think this jersey will far surpass any guess...wouldnt be surprised to see 30K or even higher....these items usually dont sell to guu collectors....it will be a tax write off for some multi millionaire...that is my guess

and it dont mean for that to be taken as a bad thing....i hope it raises a ton for a great cause

ChrisWinsalways
11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree if someone would really pay $20,000 for Sanchez.I would say $30,000 for Farve would be a steal.

indyred
11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree if someone would really pay $20,000 for Sanchez.I would say $30,000 for Farve would be a steal.

The Sanchez was he first regular season debut jersey. That showed nice wear. If you looked at the game pictures on getty, some rock solid photo matches were dead one for the jersey. I think this really helped in getting top dollar for it.

So what games did the Vikings play in October where Favre would have pink C patch on? I haven't looked, but i'd try and pin point the location of C patch and another placement with numbers logos ect on this jersey with game pictures. I'm sure by the end of auction it will be easy to figure out what game it came from.

MLB_Authentic
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
This has to be from the Rams game. The only two away games they played were at the Rams and at the Steelers and JOSPORTSCO got the Steelers jersey.

jhunt28
11-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm with you brother - its between the seller and the buyer.

I'm not asking for the person's name and address. I just think it's good to know what people are paying for gamers. With auctions, it's pretty easy to see what the selling price is. If there is a gamer for sale, and lets say the price is $5k, wouldn't you want to know that it sold for $3.5k? So that the next time a similar one comes up, you know what the ballpark value is? Also, maybe you wanted to spend $3.5k, but not $5k. Wouldn't you also want to know that you could obtain a certain gamer for that price, and not a higher price? I don't see how this is unlike real estate? People may put a $1mm price tag on their home, but that doesn't mean it's worth $1mm. Wouldn't you want to know if the home sold for $750k, so that you could price a comparable home?? I don't think collecting should be unlike real estate. Like I said earlier, I don't care who/what bought the item, but I feel like it's good to know the value of current items and what the market can sustain.

legaleagle92481
11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
The Sanchez jersey could someday turn out to be a steal. He has played well for a rookie QB and he is only 22. Remember Elway, Aikman and countless other hall of famers and pro bowlers in their rookie years? They were much worse than Sanchez's. Favre's rookie year was spent sitting on the bench in Atlanta. That being said what would the first jersey that Elway, Aikman, Favre, etc. ever wore in a regular season game go for? Probably well over 50k. So for someone who has the ability to absorb the loss if instead he becomes Akili Smith or Cade McNown it is a solid investment.

I also think the Favre is a risky investment since JO is bringing other gamers onto the market from this year, the jersey in question appears barely used and Favre is 40 coming off a disaster finish to last season with the Jets that began 8-3 and included upsets of the Pats and the previously undefeated Titans. What would a Favre Jets jersey go for? My guess is alot less than it would have gone for on November 2, 2008. But then if the Vikings win the Super Bowl, Brett wins Super Bowl MVP and then retires (making it a jersey from his last season) the jersey is a great investment. That being said the jerseys on NFL auctions seem to always sell for alot. (A Leon Washington for example is about to sell for over $2,500). So my guess is between 10 and 20k and it won't be sold to a Packers or Jets fan.

indyred
11-02-2009, 10:45 PM
This has to be from the Rams game. The only two away games they played were at the Rams and at the Steelers and JOSPORTSCO got the Steelers jersey.

Yep, must be from Rams game. Also, they have turf so makes sense no dirt stains on the jersey. here is shot from Rams game.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/91853294.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0F4F6B7B088967801 8FC4F3A91D08D6A46710BEBD89455305
Jersey in auction
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog4021/folder102600/img8503772.jpg
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog4021/folder102600/img8503771.jpg
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog4021/folder102600/img8503770.jpg

suicide_squeeze
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
$11,678.01

kingjammy24
11-02-2009, 11:25 PM
selling hyped rookies at hyped prices has been going on ever since sports fans began trying to turn their weekend relaxation into "investments". with the hype built into them, the prices already assume the rookie will become the next first-ballot HOFer so any upward potential has already been gobbled up by the dealer. if it was such a great investment with so much potential, why would the dealer be selling it? if the sanchez had so much potential upswing why wouldn't jarrod keep it for himself and realize the windfall? dealers are only too happy to sell because they realize that there's very little upside left after the grossly-inflated, hyped rookie price.

if something is truly a great investment, it'll usually attract a lot of attention. how many buyers plunked down $20k for the sanchez? 15? 20? or 1? was there a bidding war for the sanchez?

i've seen more players fizzle after a strong rookie season than go on to become first-ballot HOFers. this isn't a theory. i've seen it happen over and over for the past 20 yrs. it's how dealers make their money. ask any kid who ever loaded up on (insert hyped rookie of the year) because dealers convinced them "it was a great investment". it was a great investment..for the dealers.

"That being said what would the first jersey that Elway, Aikman, Favre, etc. ever wore in a regular season game go for? Probably well over 50k."

apples and oranges. back in 1979 (montana) or 1983 (elway) or even 1989 (aikman) you didn't have teams and leagues deliberately producing as many gamers as possible for the sake of resale. many steiner shirts refer to the week or month it was used. week or month! i remember when a player would use 1 shirt for half the season. now they're intentionally pumping them out like krispy kremes just to cash in. how many sanchez shirts will JOSports pump out in 2009? conversely, how many montana shirts did the 49ers release to the public in 1979? a $50k montana price would be due to the scarcity. there will be no scarcity of sanchez shirts for years to come so even in the remote chance sanchez becomes the next montana, his gamers will never be as valuable.

what used to be a hunt has now simply turned into selecting the game from which you want a jersey and then placing your order. the hobby has turned teams and leagues into game-used factories. in the 70s, a ball player might use 3 or 4 shirts total in a season. nowadays they're using 10+. you don't think increasing the supply 3x+ over is going to put a heavy anchor around the upward potential of modern pieces? there will be very little in the way of future returns because places like steiner and JO have already juiced most of it out for themselves. look, steiner is currently selling a 2009 jeter jersey for $15k. long after jeter makes the HOF, you won't see a lick of profit from that thing. instead, he'll retire and quickly fade from current interest as fans move on to the next superstar. as interest fades, the price won't have anything to cause it to increase (after all, unlike older shirts, supply is no longer an issue). if i had a griffey rookie gamer, i'd likely have made more money selling it in 1996 than now when noone even talks about him anymore because they're too busy watching pujols. even if sanchez pans out, he likely won't be able to do nearly enough for that shirt to return a decent profit (in inflation-adjusted dollars).

rudy.

LastingsMilledge85
11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
The Sanchez jersey could someday turn out to be a steal. He has played well for a rookie QB and he is only 22. Remember Elway, Aikman and countless other hall of famers and pro bowlers in their rookie years? They were much worse than Sanchez's. Favre's rookie year was spent sitting on the bench in Atlanta. That being said what would the first jersey that Elway, Aikman, Favre, etc. ever wore in a regular season game go for? Probably well over 50k. So for someone who has the ability to absorb the loss if instead he becomes Akili Smith or Cade McNown it is a solid investment.

I also think the Favre is a risky investment since JO is bringing other gamers onto the market from this year, the jersey in question appears barely used and Favre is 40 coming off a disaster finish to last season with the Jets that began 8-3 and included upsets of the Pats and the previously undefeated Titans. What would a Favre Jets jersey go for? My guess is alot less than it would have gone for on November 2, 2008. But then if the Vikings win the Super Bowl, Brett wins Super Bowl MVP and then retires (making it a jersey from his last season) the jersey is a great investment. That being said the jerseys on NFL auctions seem to always sell for alot. (A Leon Washington for example is about to sell for over $2,500). So my guess is between 10 and 20k and it won't be sold to a Packers or Jets fan.

He has played well for a rookie??? Are you kidding me, he throws more pics than tds. He is a college qb playing in the NFL. He is no Matthew Stafford, and probably will never be. That being said Sanchez could become a dominate qb (I just don't see it happening). Anyway, if the NFL doesn't work out for Sanchez he could join the Fridge on 4th of July for Nathan's hot dog eating contest.

legaleagle92481
11-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Lastings,
Sanchez had 8 of his 10 ints in two games, he has had no turnovers in the last two games. If you count his 3 rushing tds, he has passed or thrown for more tds then INTS. He is on pace for almost 3,000 yards passing and 22 tds (run and pass) vs. 20 ints. Granted he is not going to a pro bowl anytime soon but for a 22 year old with only one year of college starting experiance that is pretty darn good. Consider also that he is on the number one rushing team in the NFL that features a back who was the AFC's leading rusher a year ago and that the Jets have had injury issues at receiver and he had to adjust to a newly acquired number 1 receiver a month into the year. As far as the Stafford comparison. In 5 games Stafford has 5 combined tds vs. 7 ints and just yesterday went 14 of 33 without a passing td in a loss to a team that had not won a game in over a year. Granted Stafford is 14 months younger, has battled an inujry that has caused him to miss a couple of games and is on a worse team but I do not see how he is better than Sanchez at this point in their careers. My point was that Sanchez has had a good start when compared with the starts that many hall of fame QBs had and that he has shown the potential to POSSIBLY become a star one day.

TriplexXxSports
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
...a Favre jersey to arguing stats about Sanchez.....what happened?

I have 2 words to help sum up over-rated rookies that people pay way too much for and will never see a profit from any of their investments - DEVIN HESTER! or BRADY QUINN! or DAVID CARR! or Sexy REX (GROSSMAN).

Sanchez will be no different.

Anyway, the Favre is now at $3500 - BEGINNING OF DAY 2.

LastingsMilledge85
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Bottom line I rather waste my money on a proven quarterback and certain hall of famer than an overrated Sanchez who will probably be a bust. Typical NY media hypes up their players to what they will never become.

kingjammy24
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
.. he has shown the potential to POSSIBLY become a star one day.

the problem is his jersey was priced as if he already is a star. do rookie shirts of non-stars typically go for $20k?

you can spend $3k less and get the photomatched jersey, with team LOA, for a 3x superbowl mvp, 2x mvp, HOF'er:

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=2142223&catLevel=0&scLevel=&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=&catParentID=4453&scId=4453

buy the sanchez because you like it and can afford it but not because of some "investment" nonsense.

rudy.

EndzoneSports
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
selling hyped rookies at hyped prices has been going on ever since sports fans began trying to turn their weekend relaxation into "investments". with the hype built into them, the prices already assume the rookie will become the next first-ballot HOFer so any upward potential has already been gobbled up by the dealer. if it was such a great investment with so much potential, why would the dealer be selling it? if the sanchez had so much potential upswing why wouldn't jarrod keep it for himself and realize the windfall? dealers are only too happy to sell because they realize that there's very little upside left after the grossly-inflated, hyped rookie price.

if something is truly a great investment, it'll usually attract a lot of attention. how many buyers plunked down $20k for the sanchez? 15? 20? or 1? was there a bidding war for the sanchez?

i've seen more players fizzle after a strong rookie season than go on to become first-ballot HOFers. this isn't a theory. i've seen it happen over and over for the past 20 yrs. it's how dealers make their money. ask any kid who ever loaded up on (insert hyped rookie of the year) because dealers convinced them "it was a great investment". it was a great investment..for the dealers.

"That being said what would the first jersey that Elway, Aikman, Favre, etc. ever wore in a regular season game go for? Probably well over 50k."

apples and oranges. back in 1979 (montana) or 1983 (elway) or even 1989 (aikman) you didn't have teams and leagues deliberately producing as many gamers as possible for the sake of resale. many steiner shirts refer to the week or month it was used. week or month! i remember when a player would use 1 shirt for half the season. now they're intentionally pumping them out like krispy kremes just to cash in. how many sanchez shirts will JOSports pump out in 2009? conversely, how many montana shirts did the 49ers release to the public in 1979? a $50k montana price would be due to the scarcity. there will be no scarcity of sanchez shirts for years to come so even in the remote chance sanchez becomes the next montana, his gamers will never be as valuable.

what used to be a hunt has now simply turned into selecting the game from which you want a jersey and then placing your order. the hobby has turned teams and leagues into game-used factories. in the 70s, a ball player might use 3 or 4 shirts total in a season. nowadays they're using 10+. you don't think increasing the supply 3x+ over is going to put a heavy anchor around the upward potential of modern pieces? there will be very little in the way of future returns because places like steiner and JO have already juiced most of it out for themselves. look, steiner is currently selling a 2009 jeter jersey for $15k. long after jeter makes the HOF, you won't see a lick of profit from that thing. instead, he'll retire and quickly fade from current interest as fans move on to the next superstar. as interest fades, the price won't have anything to cause it to increase (after all, unlike older shirts, supply is no longer an issue). if i had a griffey rookie gamer, i'd likely have made more money selling it in 1996 than now when noone even talks about him anymore because they're too busy watching pujols. even if sanchez pans out, he likely won't be able to do nearly enough for that shirt to return a decent profit (in inflation-adjusted dollars).

rudy.

Rudy makes some great points, the most important of which is affirming the basic tenants of supply and demand economics.

The true value or worth of an item can only be determined at the time of sale between a willing buyer and seller. The negotiated and agreed upon transaction price definitively sets the value at that time (and only for that time). Any subsequent discussion of value can only be considered as an estimate as the (true) value determined in any subsequent transaction will be set by the parties involved at the time the transaction takes place. A jersey that sells for $20K today, is worth $20K for today only. If tomorrow the new buyer elects to put this jersey back on the market and comes to an agreement to sell it for $15K, this more recent transaction sets the jerseys value at $15K. I make this rather obvious point as it relates to the fickleness of sports fans and collectors.

Part of the value of any item in a transaction is based on the popularity of (and thus, demand for) the player in question. As we are dealing with players who will typically work only 16 days a year during a “career” that is likely to span only about four years (on average), much of this popularity which feeds demand is based upon a fairly compressed time frame… How did they play this week? It is for this reason that whether a player is considered a hero or a goat can swing wildly over a very short time span.

Rudy points out the recent proliferation of game jersey being “created” in order to satisfy the demand of collectors. I whole heartedly agree that—unless our hobby finds a way to sustain longevity, there is little hope for being able to maintain value over time. As with all other commodities, the supply will eventually outpace demand, putting downward pressure on pricing. To a certain extent, one can already see this happening.

Dealers will often put out their initial offering with significant pricing premiums, knowing that they will need to maximize profits for those items for which there is a market (striking while the iron is hot). This is not so much price gouging as, looking at the inventory as a whole, they must profit handsomely on these initial sales in order to cover the carrying costs of the less desirable inventory which remains—much of which will be discounted and sold at significantly less than their initial listed prices.

Some may not always agree with the dealers’ pricing strategies, however, these businesses have invested a significant amount of capital in order to be able to obtain this inventory to begin with. The pricing of individual items within their inventory has to fit into a business model that also ensures long-term financial stability for the business (ie Return on investment) and thus a long-term existence of the business.

There are also some pricing intangibles that are yet to be worked out… Primarily, determining the value of unquestioned authenticity. All collectors would certainly be willing to pay some amount of a pricing premium for the peace of mind of knowing that the item is truly authentic. How much this is worth can vary from collector to collector and from item to item. With the rampant amount of fraud and deception that has plagued our hobby for years, one would think that such guarantees would be a Godsend. What one is willing to pay for such assurances, however, is yet to be determined. Over time, the market will tell.

Regards,

genius
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Plus you can buy a cheap replica that looks very similar when framed for about $50 or less on ebay. Not only are these items not scarce, you could wear one to a game and not one head would turn since hundreds of others would be wearing a graphically-perfect replica. No way these hold up in value over the long term.

kingjammy24
11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
"...they must profit handsomely on these initial sales in order to cover the carrying costs of the less desirable inventory which remains—much of which will be discounted and sold at significantly less than their initial listed prices...Some may not always agree with the dealers’ pricing strategies, however, these businesses have invested a significant amount of capital in order to be able to obtain this inventory to begin with."

to buyers, the amount needed by sellers is irrelevant. ultimately, items sell for what the public is willing to pay and that price has nothing to do with the amount that sellers need. of course, every seller that overpays tries to avoid taking the loss by overcharging others (and thus passing their "loss" on to the buyer.) at the end of the day, all you need is one buyer so i guess this strategy sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

the part that has me a little confused is why teams even bother with distributors. the teams and/or league could sell these things on their own and take the entire pie instead of sharing it with a middleman. the leagues/teams already have famous brand names, greater resources, more robust marketing departments and access to far larger markets than any distributor like JOSports could ever hope to secure. all of them have already been selling merchandise directly to the public for years. taking a shirt off a players back and selling it to the public is not rocket science. heck, the NFL is already selling jerseys on their own website. so obviously a distributor needs to offer something unique like an authentication/tracking system that would be too time-consuming for the team to deal with.

"..determining the value of unquestioned authenticity. All collectors would certainly be willing to pay some amount of a pricing premium for the peace of mind of knowing that the item is truly authentic. How much this is worth can vary from collector to collector and from item to item. With the rampant amount of fraud and deception that has plagued our hobby for years, one would think that such guarantees would be a Godsend. What one is willing to pay for such assurances, however, is yet to be determined."

speaking only for current NFL football jerseys, i'm not sure how much value such assurances will have in the future if photomatching becomes increasingly easier and more widespread. if you purchase a jersey from a team and can easily match that shirt, then what do you need a litany of holograms and tracking IDs and tags etc? essentially, those things are provenance and provenance is irrelevant if the item is photomatched.

unless they provide a unique and important service, i just don't see much of a purpose for middlemen in general. when teams slowly realized that there was money in this hobby, it's understandable that they didn't know how exactly to move on it and thus felt they would benefit from distributors who claimed to have niche expertise. once the teams realize how it all works, i imagine they'll do it themselves. sort of like collectors who eventually realize they have no need for authenticators. why share the pie if its easy not to?

rudy.

EndzoneSports
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
"to buyers, the amount needed by sellers is irrelevant. ultimately, items sell for what the public is willing to pay and that price has nothing to do with the amount that sellers need. of course, every seller that overpays tries to avoid taking the loss by overcharging others (and thus passing their "loss" on to the buyer.) at the end of the day, all you need is one buyer so i guess this strategy sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

You're point is absolutely correct and I'm not even going to try to go back and explain myself as I managed to botch the intent all together... I guess what I was trying to point out is the need to get the premuim items out front early to maximize the cash flow on those items so as to cover carrying those items that will collect dust until such time that they're discounted.

The part that has me a little confused is why teams even bother with distributors. the teams and/or league could sell these things on their own and take the entire pie instead of sharing it with a middleman. the leagues/teams already have famous brand names, greater resources, more robust marketing departments and access to far larger markets than any distributor like JOSports could ever hope to secure. all of them have already been selling merchandise directly to the public for years.

While agreed that they have at least comperable (if not superior) marketing accumen, I think another factor for the teams is cash flow. Back to Econ 101... You have an item for sale that someone is willing to offer you either (A) a guananteed $100 today; or <B> a promise to pay you a $110 in a year (which by the way comes with the risk that the buyer may not come through with any or all of the payment at the end of that time). The value of money over time is what results in the present/future value calculations that result in interest (the "cost" of money). I really believe that many teams look favorably upon the "bird in the hand" theory of taking the guaranteed lump-sum payment up front as opposed to the possibility of greater profits over time; allowing a 3rd-party deal with the risk.

Regards,

kingjammy24
11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
"..what I was trying to point out is the need to get the premuim items out front early to maximize the cash flow on those items so as to cover carrying those items that will collect dust until such time that they're discounted."

agreed. when steiner first came out with their yankees deal in 2005 everyone dryheaved at the prices. some hypothesized that eventually prices would have to fall simply because they constantly had new product coming in and the current prices wouldn't move the old stuff fast enough to prevent a massive glut from building up. that's exactly what happened and they eventually had their firesales. point is, they did exactly what you're saying here. put the 2009 jeter out at $15k, pray to the heavens, and then if it doesn't sell by the time the 2010 jeters come in then sell it at a discount via someone like GFC or GUU so it doesn't become apparent that the prices have no integrity.

"While agreed that they have at least comperable (if not superior) marketing accumen, I think another factor for the teams is cash flow. Back to Econ 101... You have an item for sale that someone is willing to offer you either (A) a guananteed $100 today; or <B> a promise to pay you a $110 in a year (which by the way comes with the risk that the buyer may not come through with any or all of the payment at the end of that time)..."

sure. but what's interesting is that many teams are in fact going it themselves. it'd be interesting to ask teams like the blue jays, tigers, or A's why they didn't choose to use a distributor. given that they're small-market teams, you'd think they'd be the ones most interested in having a "bird in the hand" as opposed to wealthy giants like the yankees, red sox, and dodgers (all of whom incidentally are the ones who chose to use steiner). the jays and tigers can go it themselves and wait for the cash to trickle in while the yankees and red sox need the money asap? seems odd.

rudy.

kingjammy24
11-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Dealers will often put out their initial offering with significant pricing premiums, knowing that they will need to maximize profits for those items for which there is a market (striking while the iron is hot). This is not so much price gouging as, looking at the inventory as a whole, they must profit handsomely on these initial sales in order to cover the carrying costs of the less desirable inventory which remains—much of which will be discounted and sold at significantly less than their initial listed prices. ..

patrick

one more thought i wanted to add. you discuss the pricing theory behind team deals; where distributors have to 'overcharge' for premier pieces because they'll likely take a loss on undesireable pieces. i understand this and i understand distributors being told that if they want a deal then they have to buy the entire lot, warts and all. so the distributors figure they can profit handsomely from the jeters and arods then maybe being left holding tons of benchwarmers won't be such a hit. but again, this has me confused. why sign a deal with a team as opposed to simply with the premier players? you spoke of how profits made from "hot" items will offset losses from cold items. what if the "hot" items you think you're getting don't actually materialize? case in point: steiner signed a deal with the dodgers. i have to think they were looking forward to the profits on the manny ramirez shirts they believed they would get. funny thing happened on the way to the ballpark, manny took his shirts and left steiner high and dry. same deal with the yankees and steiner where arod flipped steiner the bird on several shirts. when i asked steiner about it, they indicated that neither they nor the team could really force arod to do anything. so they paid for a team deal, lost the big moneymakers and were left with the scrubs. if players can order their own shirts and have those shirts be exclusive of any deals the team has signed, then team deals seem pretty pointless to me. whats the point of signing a deal with the dodgers, paying ahead of time for ramirez shirts you think you're getting, if you get 0 ramirez jerseys? why not take that money instead and simply sign the star players to a deal? that way, you can essentially cherrypick the "hot" players and no longer have the burden of unloading scrub jerseys.

rudy.

nickacs
11-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I emailed NFL Auctions yesterday to ask if they can verify what game the jersey was from. I didn't mention it's probably from the St. Louis game, I just wanted to see.

And here's what some idiot from NFL Auctions emails me:
"I was told Monday night against Minnasota"

Uh, hello, McFly?!?!? The Monday night Minn game on 10/5/09 was at HOME (PURPLE home jersey). Duh! :rolleyes:

And this is what we collectors have to rely on?

jhunt28
11-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I emailed NFL Auctions yesterday to ask if they can verify what game the jersey was from. I didn't mention it's probably from the St. Louis game, I just wanted to see.

And here's what some idiot from NFL Auctions emails me:
"I was told Monday night against Minnasota"

Uh, hello, McFly?!?!? The Monday night Minn game on 10/5/09 was at HOME (PURPLE home jersey). Duh! :rolleyes:

And this is what we collectors have to rely on?

So you asked which game the Favre VIKINGS jersey was worn, and they told you it was "against Minnesota"??? So it was a Monday Night inter-team scrimmage?? WOW...amazing who is behind the curtain at NFL Auctions.

legaleagle92481
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Does anyone else suspect that this may be a signed game issued jersey rather than a signed game used one?

dcgreg25
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Looks like geoff wins the prize by guessing the final price exactly at $16,000.00.

geoff
11-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Wow I feel like I Won Something Now.It would be Cool to Win The Favre Jersey because I Guessed The Price Right On.

Thanks
Geoff

legaleagle92481
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Good job Geoff. What is your guess on the Manning they have on there now? I am going to guess 12k and that Gerry does not bid.

geoff
11-25-2009, 03:43 AM
On The Manning I would Guess 15K.Lets all see what Happens on The Final Price.

Thanks
Geoff