PDA

View Full Version : Turf Shoes in AL and NL league?

joelsabi
11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Currently, on what MLB fields did players need to use turf shoes instead of cleats?

In the past, what MLB field did players need to use turf shoes instead of cleats.

Thanks in advance.

David
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
In the 1980s I played soccer on the University of Wisconsin's turf football stadium. Turf shoes were preferable on the turf, but you could wear regular cleats on turf. Soccer cleats are very similar to modern baseball cleats.

David
11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I should add that current soccer turf shoes (I own two pair) are a little bit like cleats, except the cleats are much shorter and softer. The bottoms are a bit like mini cleats. In the 1980s and 90s, soccer cleats soles more resembled basketball shoes-- flat with a pattern in them.

joelsabi
11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess my question is if there is even a need for turf shoes if you play for the National League.

It seems that only two teams in the American League, Tampa Bay and Toronto, still have artificial turf. Unless you're a player on a National League team that happens to play Toronto or Tampa Bay in a Inter League Game, a player would not need turf shoes. Am I right on this assumption?

Thanks.

NFLELCollector
11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
On the outside, your observations are correct.
However, When you consider the length of the Major League Baseball Season (Including Spring Training, Playoffs and World Series), MANY Professional Baseball Players grow tired of wearing Metal Cleats/Spikes everytime they step on a baseball field, So in the interest of Comfort, and in some cases to ease Foot Problems countless Professional Baseball Players have gone to wearing "TURF" Shoes and or Molded/Plastic Cleats as opposed to Metal Cleats.
Also consider-With the well manicured Grasses/Dirt found in ALL MLB Parks, you can actually wear Customized Turf Shoes and still have the same or similar Traction (As Spikes) needed to compete in an MLB Game.

You will also see many Baseball Players wearing Turf Shoes during Pregame Warmups and Batting Practice. Even in Ballparks that have Natural Grass!

Hope That Helps,
Thom

joelsabi
11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
On the outside, your observations are correct.
However, When you consider the length of the Major League Baseball Season (Including Spring Training, Playoffs and World Series), MANY Professional Baseball Players grow tired of wearing Metal Cleats/Spikes everytime they step on a baseball field, So in the interest of Comfort, and in some cases to ease Foot Problems countless Professional Baseball Players have gone to wearing "TURF" Shoes and or Molded/Plastic Cleats as opposed to Metal Cleats.
Also consider-With the well manicured Grasses/Dirt found in ALL MLB Parks, you can actually wear Customized Turf Shoes and still have the same or similar Traction (As Spikes) needed to compete in an MLB Game.

You will also see many Baseball Players wearing Turf Shoes during Pregame Warmups and Batting Practice. Even in Ballparks that have Natural Grass!

Hope That Helps,
Thom

Thom,

I appreciate your observations and insight. I often see turf shoes worn at BP that you never see in games on some players. Make sense how you put it.

Regards

Joel

I would appreciate other opionions on this matter. thanks in advance.