PDA

View Full Version : CAN THERE BE TO SET 1 s ON A 72 EXPOS FLANNEL!

dirtyla2000
11-02-2009, 02:39 AM
If someone can answer ,it would be appreciated!

dirtyla2000
11-02-2009, 02:40 AM
I meant two set 1 s

ironmanfan
11-02-2009, 07:49 AM
yes that it is possible for any club (not just the Expos)

suicide_squeeze
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Why do you think they call them a "set"?

joelsabi
11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Why do you think they call them a "set"?

this used to confuse me too.
i guess he is asking if the sets are renumbered for each order.

for example its

April Order Set 1 Set 2 Set 3
June Order Set 1 Set 2 Set 3

not

June Order Set 4 Set 5 Set 6

5kRunner
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
this used to confuse me too.
i guess he is asking if the sets are renumbered for each order.

for example its

June Order Set 1 Set 2 Set 3

not

June Order Set 4 Set 5 Set 6

Thank you! I've never understood that. Perfectly clear now. I love this place. Everyday I learn somethin new.

dirtyla2000
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
sorry,let me understand! the jersey I am looking at is a 1972 Expos home FLANNEL.Its a home set 1.I know there is an other home set 1 jersey out there! the jersey looks good,so I should not be concerned that its not a home set 2!

sox83cubs84
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
sorry,let me understand! the jersey I am looking at is a 1972 Expos home FLANNEL.Its a home set 1.I know there is an other home set 1 jersey out there! the jersey looks good,so I should not be concerned that its not a home set 2!

If the jersey is a 1972 Expos home, it should be a Rawlings jersey. Rawlings flag tags use the set number as an indicator of when they're ordered, not actual sets (actual sets, if tagged, are done only on strip tagging with Rawlings). If you view dozens of Rawlings jerseys from all teams who have used them, you will likely find the the flag tags on the vast majority will be ID'd as SET 1. In thre case of Rawlings flag tags, set 1 indicates original order, while set 2 would be midseason or other orders after the original one. The ony set 3 flag tags I have seen on Rawlings jerseys were on the ones that Rangers players such as A-Rod and Raffy Roids used to order and then wear...a belief that has gone under considerable debate on GUF, as MeiGray had the Rangers uniform resale contract in the affected years (2000-2002).

Back to the Expos flannel...if the player in question received all his jerseys from the original order (as was the norm back then), then, yes, more than one SET 1 flag tagged jersey can exist.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
always confused me also... back in the 70's and 80's i think a set 1 was always 2 homes and 2 roads.... ya needed 2 shirts for double headers...

sox83cubs84
11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
always confused me also... back in the 70's and 80's i think a set 1 was always 2 homes and 2 roads.... ya needed 2 shirts for double headers...

In the case of most companies who supplied MLB gamers (Wilson, Russell, Majestic, Goodman, Sand-Knit) set numbers reflect how many jerseys were made. The flag tag determinations of Rawlings that are based on time of order rather than quantity of jerseys is unique to Rawlings. If the Expos jersey was a Wilson-made road, then there would be set 1, set 2, and, if made, set 3. With Rawlings, any set 2 flag tag is an in-season order (either for a new player or as a replacement for a damaged/stolen jersey).

I recall visiting the White Sox clubhouse after 1977 to buy a jersey from the equipment guy. The 1977 jerseys (by Rawlings, with collar flag tags) were still hanging up, and I couldn't find a set 2 flag tag to save my life.

Dave M.
Chicago area

jppopma
11-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Another possibility for two set 1 jerseys is that one of them may have been made as a replacement. If the 1st jersey was damaged or missing early in the season, the team could number one of the blanks to replace it (rather than jumping one jersey on the team to the next set). At the same time, this jersey could have been numbered in a later year, in the minors, or even by someone other than the team if sold as a blank.

dirtyla2000
11-03-2009, 04:12 AM
If the jersey is a 1972 Expos home, it should be a Rawlings jersey. Rawlings flag tags use the set number as an indicator of when they're ordered, not actual sets (actual sets, if tagged, are done only on strip tagging with Rawlings). If you view dozens of Rawlings jerseys from all teams who have used them, you will likely find the the flag tags on the vast majority will be ID'd as SET 1. In thre case of Rawlings flag tags, set 1 indicates original order, while set 2 would be midseason or other orders after the original one. The ony set 3 flag tags I have seen on Rawlings jerseys were on the ones that Rangers players such as A-Rod and Raffy Roids used to order and then wear...a belief that has gone under considerable debate on GUF, as MeiGray had the Rangers uniform resale contract in the affected years (2000-2002).

Back to the Expos flannel...if the player in question received all his jerseys from the original order (as was the norm back then), then, yes, more than one SET 1 flag tagged jersey can exist.

Dave M.
Chicago area
In my case the jersey is stitched not a flag tag ! Does that make a diff!

sox83cubs84
11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
In my case the jersey is stitched not a flag tag ! Does that make a diff!

Rawlings stitched tags (usually in strip tag form) are usually true set indicators, though, on something that far back and affixed in that matter, it may be the same practice a s a flag tag. Unless your jersey is a major star (and back then, who were major stars on the Expos?), it could be the above, a tagging anomaly, or the scenario Mr. Popham described. Whichever the case, I wouldn't worry too much.

Dave M.
Chicago area

ksfarmboy
11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Dave, if you have a set 1 and 2 jersey from the same year, would the 2 be more likely to have been worn in post season?

Clint

sox83cubs84
11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Dave, if you have a set 1 and 2 jersey from the same year, would the 2 be more likely to have been worn in post season?

Clint

It would depend on (in the case of Rawlings) whether or not a new batch of uniforms were ordered for the DS/CS/WS. A new set such as those ordered for the 1986 Astros (who also may well have worn them in the last half of the season) were, indeed, flag tagged set 2. With other manufacturers it's a crapshoot. Some may even tag postseason shirts differently. Goodman used "set P" tags on some of their Dodgers LCS/WS attire, while the White Sox had a detail strip tag with the designation "2000 Playoffs" on the Majestic-made unies they wore in the 2000 ALDS.
Goodman also threw year tags on postseason jerseys that didn't exist in regular season supplied unies for the same team (1979 Angels and 1986 Mets come to mind.)

It's just one of those things where you can find answers analyzing specific teams or manufacturers, but there isn't a set rule across the board.

Dave M.
Chicago area

ksfarmboy
11-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Thank you very much Dave. You've helped answer some questions I've had for a while now.

Clint