PDA

View Full Version : lockeroom nameplates

mbenga28
11-01-2009, 01:42 PM
just wanted to hear your thoughts, do you really consider these as game used items? do they even get touched by the player?

David
11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
My personal definition is game used means used in the game. Whatever definition anyone used, locker nameplates are self explanatory as to what they are and how they were used. It's not as if someone mistakenly believes the clubhouse coke machine, locker tags or urinal was brought out onto the field in the 9th during a 1-1 tie.

I had the locker nameplates from an old timer's charity game, auctioned after the game to support a local hospital. Each was autographed by the player, so they were also autographed items.

David
11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
When the St. Louis Cardinals auctioned off the stuff from their stadium a few years back, people paid good money for rare but unusual things like the clubhouse urinals, telephone from the hallway and even the signs to the public womens' bathrooms. So there is interest in these types of artifacts, game used or not.

Chris78
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I would say yes because the nameplates are hung for the players or coaches that are participating in the game that is being played.

Do you consider the "dugout" lineup card that is hung on the wall to be game used even though it is not used by the player? I do. The biggest difference would be that the lineup card can be seen from the field of play and some managers mark while the game is going on; while, the locker room nameplates can only be seen if in the locker room itself. I still feel that locker room nameplates can be considered game used since it is only used for the players or coaches that are particpating in the game itself.

Chris

GarkoCollector
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Not really game used, more like Team Issued

indyred
11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Nameplates are great items for game used collectors. Nice additional artifact to compliment game used stuff. Line up cards I think are very underrated in game used collecting field. Nice one of kind item from a specific game. Great collectible for framing our getting players to sign that were in the game. I have seen some milestone games or player debut game line up cards fetch some big money. Would be cool to have a show off your line up card thread.

mbenga28
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
thanks all, good feedback. also are locker nameplates made of metal, plastic, etc.? are they also thin enough to be framed?

nomo121
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I have had mine framed, and use them as nameplates for a player. I have some bonderman jerseys framed, and have used his locker tags as nameplates for the frame. I have one i'm saving, if i can get some gerald laird gloves. Check out a thread on Tigers GU.

grenda12
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Not really game used, more like Team Issued

I agree with this. Team issued is more of the proper term than game used.

Chris78
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
GarkoCollector and everyone else,

Funny, after I posted my response, I thought it was more like "team used" instead of game used.

"Team used" locker room nameplates would be nameplates that were hung in the locker room when the game was being played and the player or coach was either in the game or in the dugout when the game was being played.

"Team issued" locker room nameplates would be nameplates that were made but never hung for a player. For instance, nameplates that were made for someone in spring training that they thought would make the team but never made it.

Anyway you look at it they are something related to the hobby.

Chris

ironmanfan
11-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I've always enjoyed collecting Locker Nameplates and consider them to be "game used," while in a different sense compared to a bat, hat, etc.

I recently picked up a nice lot of American League stars Locker Nameplates from Milwaukee's County Stadium from the mid 1970's era (basically just to get the Brooks Robinson, Palmer & Earl Weaver ones). They display great with uniform displays and also look great signed...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/abcNameplates-1.jpg

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

nomo121
11-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Bill,
Would you consider selling any of the others. Like the Freehan?
Thanks,
Mike

nomo121@aol.com

ironmanfan
11-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill,
Would you consider selling any of the others. Like the Freehan?
Thanks,
Mike

nomo121@aol.com

Mike:

Feel free to e/m me and we can discuss what you're interested in.

Bill

ironmanfan
11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
A few years ago, I purchased a lot of visiting players Locker Nameplates from the Seattle Kingdome (again, pretty much bought the lot to get the Ripken), but I've gotten a few of them signed over time and I think they came out pretty nicely...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/Nameplates12.jpg

Jays1fan
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I love these Name Plates. I have about 30 of them. I plan to make a few locker displays in the near future and these will just complete the look.
Most of the extras will look good going accross the top of the wall like a wall paper border.
1 of my "Holy Grail" items is the Carlos Delgado from 2005 Opening Day.
Most are 3 x 12 , got 1 that is 3 x 24 and a few extras left of these 2 x 12 from 2005 Opening Day that I am not sure what I will do with them:
http://www.jays1fan.com/5nameplates.jpg

capitalssticks
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Mike:

Feel free to e/m me and we can discuss what you're interested in.

Bill

just dont ask him for a price :)

harpt
11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I recently picked up a nice lot of American League stars Locker Nameplates from Milwaukee's County Stadium from the mid 1970's era

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/abcNameplates-1.jpg

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

I got some from County stadium recently too. Mine are blank (other than the numbers). Probably never got used...etc. I just grabbed a handful of the players that I collect (or their numbers anyway.

I also found a nice photo of Ben Oglivie's locker in County stadium. Boy, that place was a palace eh?