PDA

View Full Version : OT: Your hobby horror story

joelsabi
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Anyone wanna share your hobby horror story?

joelsabi
11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Not my story.

Topps had some cases of 1952 baseball cards left over after the season. Instead of paying warehouse storage fees, they decided to dump them in the East River.

both-teams-played-hard
11-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Not my story.

Topps had some cases of 1952 baseball cards left over after the season. Instead of paying warehouse storage fees, they decided to dump them in the East River.

If there was an abundance of '52 Topps, they wouldn't be as valuable.

From the Remember the ABA website:
"In the spring of 1972, the ABA received a letter from Hersey Boyer, No. 23594, who called himself the Inmate Basketball Commissioner of C Block at Attica Prison in upstate New York. Hersey was requesting help for the prison basketball league. The ABA answered the call by sending two red, white and blue basketballs. Then, with the league purchase of the Pittsburgh and Floridians franchises, the league came into possession of a number of uniforms and the chance to give further aid. The uniforms of the Pittsburgh Condors, sweatsuits and all, were sent to the prison. While the Condors no longer existed, their uniforms lived on."

David
11-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Not my personal horror story, but I know of a collector who had a collection of graded cards that were in a fire that melted the plastic holders. The cards themselves looked decent, but the totality was melted together into one giant plastic piece. They were auction as one blob.

Not a horror story, but a funny 1952 Topps story. I saw a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle that had long ago been eternally sealed, along with unrelated pins, to the bottom of an ash tray. To see the front of the card, you had to look through the top of the ash tray.

kylehess10
11-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Atleast once a month I dream about coming home to find my collection stolen. That's horror enough!