PDA

View Full Version : all historic auction jerseys

justinlm24
06-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I was going through the "game used" jerseys up for bid at historic auctions, and the listings say show "nice use" or tremendous use", and I have looked at the photos of most and from what I see there is no game use shown. When I hear "game used", I'd expect to see some dirt, pine tar, maybe even some grass stains. The listings claim they show rubbing, or pillage, and fraying of letters or numbers. I know that is part of the game use, but if that is all it shows it seems like a waste of money to me. I like a dirty, worn out jersey that there is no question it was used, at least for more than maybe a game or two. I'm not saying these jerseys are not "game used", but it seems strange to me. For instance the 2002 Pujols Jersey with the rather large number on the front. I was told that is a sign it is not authentic. Then a 2001 barry bonds jersey with an opening bid of $250. I was considering bidding on a few items, but I've heard some not so good things about them on this board, so I'm not sure anymore. Can anyone offer any insight on this?

trsent
06-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I was going through the "game used" jerseys up for bid at historic auctions, and the listings say show "nice use" or tremendous use", and I have looked at the photos of most and from what I see there is no game use shown. When I hear "game used", I'd expect to see some dirt, pine tar, maybe even some grass stains. The listings claim they show rubbing, or pillage, and fraying of letters or numbers. I know that is part of the game use, but if that is all it shows it seems like a waste of money to me. I like a dirty, worn out jersey that there is no question it was used, at least for more than maybe a game or two. I'm not saying these jerseys are not "game used", but it seems strange to me. For instance the 2002 Pujols Jersey with the rather large number on the front. I was told that is a sign it is not authentic. Then a 2001 barry bonds jersey with an opening bid of $250. I was considering bidding on a few items, but I've heard some not so good things about them on this board, so I'm not sure anymore. Can anyone offer any insight on this?

When you open your own auction house you can determine how to describe use in your descriptions of the item. Until then you are on your own.

Do your homework before placing a bid, and if you have an issue with an item, be sure to email or call the auction house prior to making accusations on this forum. It is a newer rule to the forum, but believe it or not, it is a good rule.

As I posted yesterday and today, I know James Brown from Historic Auctions is in Chicago for the weekend, so if you contact them they will not reply until they back back from the show.

justinlm24
06-10-2006, 01:48 PM
No, pleae don't take it the wrong way. I am not making accusations, I'm just saying I can't see the "game use" that the listing states it has based on the pictures of the jerseys. I understand it is their discrestion on what to put in the item description, and that is fine. I just see it as misleading, not saying they are outright lying. I'm sure most, if not all, are authentic. However I just disagree with the amount of game use and how it is listed. I'm only speaking from a personal standpoint, not for everyone else.

jboosted92
06-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I hope Historic answers these questions in an honest way, I would like to include them in the "reputable" auction list of ones that I use.....

lets hops

icollectDCsports
06-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I think the question could be put more generally and not necessarily in relation to the descriptions of any one auction house. But the terms "light use", "moderate use" and the like are very subjective. As far as grass and dirt stains, I think you'll find that most of this stuff washes out of modern jerseys because of a couple of factors, namely the cleanability of the fabrics used and the effectiveness of the cleaning agents used. So much of the evidence of use on current jerseys is hard to discern from photos, particularly smaller photos in auction catalogs, whether online or in print. Particularly problematic with white jerseys. All this is compounded by the fact that players these days often use more, sometimes many more, jerseys than was the practice in the past.