PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee - Irrogant? Cocky? Or Confident?

3arod13
10-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Cliff Lee - Irrogant? Cocky? Or Confident?

I say confident! The way he made the catch (pop up), sure looked like he was cocky. But after watching his performance in shutting down my Yankees, and then is interview following the game, and he is a calm and confident as can be.

What a pitching performance.

Regards, Tony

brianborsch
10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow. That was quite possibly one of the BEST pitching performances I have seen in any game. He was quite confident. He showed some real talent. When you look at just his highlight reel and then look at his stats....SIMPLY AMAZING!

skyking26
10-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Kudos to the Phillies for the Lee pickup. I did NOT like the way he caught that popup as I disdain cockiness...(same with Roland's 5 game prediction...not exactly humble) but facts are facts - he had NY's number and that win was huge!

Amazing also that the Lee/Sabathia matchup featured 2 guys who were teammates just months ago with Cleveland. You look at the dismantling of the Indians, and last night was testimony, and it's gotta make the Indians faithful SICK. Just goes to show you, when you are small market, you ultimately cannot compete because your talent goes away to the big dogs. I guess the one team that would not fit here would be the Cubbies. Now, they have alot to complain about LOL.

RK

Manram
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
He is just flat out confident. I can't think of hardly any pitchers that could have done that to the yankees

allstarsplus
10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
I assume you meant arrogant and I would say by definition he didn't exaggerate his talent rather he let his stats speak for itself. Confident, yes. Cocky is a further punctuation on confidence and yes I would say he was a little cocky, but not a bad thing for a pitcher that is a true ace.

Cliff Lee has moved into the spotlight and probably just let the world of casual fans know who he is. Free agency isn't too far away for Cliff Lee.

In his postgame interview he was asked if he was nervous and he said, "I don't get nervous. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment".

Chances are he will pitch one more time in the series so we will see how he does and where his record defines him in post-season history. ;)

joelsabi
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Cliff Lee - Irrogant? Cocky? Or Confident?

I say confident! The way he made the catch (pop up), sure looked like he was cocky. But after watching his performance in shutting down my Yankees, and then is interview following the game, and he is a calm and confident as can be.

What a pitching performance.

Regards, Tony

saw the interview too. said he knew from an early age this was what he wanted to do. brews confidence out there.

the nonchalant pop fly was classic. so was the behind the back catch.

3arod13
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I assume you meant arrogant and I would say by definition he didn't exaggerate his talent rather he let his stats speak for itself. Confident, yes. Cocky is a further punctuation on confidence and yes I would say he was a little cocky, but not a bad thing for a pitcher that is a true ace.

Cliff Lee has moved into the spotlight and probably just let the world of casual fans know who he is. Free agency isn't too far away for Cliff Lee.

In his postgame interview he was asked if he was nervous and he said, "I don't get nervous. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment".

Chances are he will pitch one more time in the series so we will see how he does and where his record defines him in post-season history. ;)

Yes I did mean arrogrant. Sorry about that!

Regards, Tony

dcgreg25
10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Confident. During his time in Cleveland Cliff certainly had his struggles. It got so bad they sent him down to Buffalo for much of the 2007 season. He regained his form and has dominated ever since. My impression as a fan during his time in Cleveland is that he was a pretty quiet family guy.

Watching the press conference after the game he was pretty matter of fact about the game and all the work he had put in. He didnt brag about how great he was just that he had put in years of work to get to this point and it was time to go execute. I may be biased as a Lee fan but I am happy for him as he has worked hard to get to this point.

allstarsplus
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
two more. ;)Funny you say that since Lee was asked if he would pitch on 3 days rest like CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee didn't answer the question. I figured he would say that was up to Phillies management.

allstarsplus
10-29-2009, 11:48 AM
It will be interesting to see.

Check out what Cliff Lee had made before this year and the trade that got him from his original team (Montreal Expos) to the Cleveland Indians.

2003 Cleveland Indians $300,900
2004 Cleveland Indians $303,200
200 5Cleveland Indians $345,000
2006 Cleveland Indians $406,200
2007 Cleveland Indians $3,000,000
2008 Cleveland Indians $4,000,000

June 27, 2002: Traded in a 6 player trade.

Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens from the Montreal Expos
to the Cleveland Indians for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew.

You can always look back in hindsight and see how one of these trades worked out. Bartolo Colon pitched 3 months for the Expos and then was granted Free Agency......Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore go on to great careers and Brandon Phillips becomes a solid middle infielder.

cohibasmoker
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Gee - I wonder if Cliff Lee will squander his money and wind-up in the "How Athletes Go Broke" thread - NOT.

Jim

dcgreg25
10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
June 27, 2002: Traded in a 6 player trade.

Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens from the Montreal Expos
to the Cleveland Indians for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew.

No doubt one of the Tribe's greatest trades....I can only hope the trades of CC and Lee pan out in any reasonable way. Lee is a great player and will cash in big time after next year...or maybe sooner if the Phillies are able to get him to sign an extension.

camarokids
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
It was great pitching performance!!!! He flat out pitched a great game. I did not see any arrogance.....

If anything, I saw a guy who could not believe how well he was doing against the richest team in MLB.....

It was an awesome game to watch, unless you were rooting for the Spankees.....:D

You all might worry with AJ pitching tonight.... I wonder how long he will last???? Maybe a repeat of his performance against Anaheim????

I am hoping so!!!!:D

karamaxjoe
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Lee was the man last night.

I can't wait to watch Pedro pitch in New York tonight. How long do you think it will take the Yankee fans to start the "Who's your daddy" chant? Probably the first pitch.

cjclong
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Lee pitched a fine game. But to talk about is as one of the greatest of all time really stretches things. I could probably list 30 to 50 in post season that were better or as good. Sandy Koufax shutting out the Twins twice in games 5 and 6 of the 1965 World Series, the second shutout coining on 2 days rest is one (actually two) that come to mind and I could quickly list half a dozen more. I'm not saying he didn't pitch a fine game but it doesn't rank up there with a lot of previous ones I could name.

brianborsch
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Please note that I said one of the best games I have seen. But also keep in mind, he lasted 9 innings with 10K's and no walks in a situation where the Phillies bullpen sucks. If the Phillies can avoid going to the bullpen, they will win this WS. Not to mention the non-chalant heroics and the behind the back catch. The pitcher completely dominated the Yankees on his own!

Granted there was 1 run, but that was unearned. I do think though that this would rank in the top 10 games (for a single pitcher) in recent WS history.