PDA

View Full Version : OT: How Athletes Go Broke

kingjammy24
10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
i always find these sorts of stories interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/index.htm

add antoine walker as the newest member:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Former-Celtics-star-Antoine-Walker-is-broke-and-?urn=nba,198509

rudy.

kingjammy24
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
woops. here's the real link for the antoine walker story:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/25/former_celtics_star_antoine_walker_pursued_by_cred itors_as_wealth_vanishes/?page=full

rudy.

BULBUS
10-28-2009, 03:03 PM
If he could have just given me 1 mil of the 110 m contract :D . I'd be living like a king, well, maybe not like a king, but financially worry free, long after he went broke.

I don't get it :confused:

Dewey2007
10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Awhile back I saw a story on ESPN or Fox that gave a number of 80% of NFL players are broke either 5 or 10 years after their careers end. Can't remember the exact number of years. Anyhow, a lot of it was due to bad investments and probably trying to live a lifestyle that's not possible like it was when they were playing. Either way that's pretty sad if the number is that high.

indyred
10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
This investment cracks me up. Torri Hunter you had to know better than fall for this idea....

About five years ago, Hunter says, he invested almost $70,000 in an invention: an inflatable raft that would sit under furniture. The pitch was that when high-rainfall areas were flooded, consumers could pump up the device, allowing a sofa to float and remain dry. "The guy I invested with came back and wanted me to put in more, about $500,000," Hunter says. "Then I met [Butowsky], who just said, Hell no! I wound up never seeing that guy—or any of my money—again."

otismalibu
10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Just don't pay!

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/taxingdetroitblog/index.php?blogid=188

kingjammy24
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
not to mention the amount of kids some of these guys end up making:

NFL, Ray Lewis (six kids by four women)
NBA, Larry Johnson (five children by four women)
NBA, Latrell Sprewell (three kids by three women before his 21st birthday)
NFL, Darren McFadden (three illegitimate kids in four years of high school and college)
Boxing, Evander Holyfield (9 illegitimate kids)
NBA, Jason Caffey (eight illegitimate kids by seven women)
NFL, Marshall Faulk (six kids by three women)
NFL, Charles Rogers: (five illegitimate kids)
NFL, Santonio Holmes (three kids while in college)
NBA, Stephon Marbury, (two illegitimate children)
NBA, Juwan Howard (three kids by three different mothers)
NBA, Shawn Kemp (twelve children from different mothers)
NFL, Derrick Thomas (seven kids by different women)
NFL, Willis McGahee (three children out of wedlock in two years)
MLB, Vlad Guerrero (four kids by four women)
NBA, Mike Bibby (two children while in college)
NFL, Shannon Sharpe (three children out of wedlock)
NFL, Chad Johnson (three children out of wedlock)
NFL, Ricky Williams (three children out of wedlock)
NBA, Willie Anderson (nine kids out of wedlock)
NBA, Calvin Murphy (nine women, 14 children)

ON THE COURT, IN THE COURT
*MLB, Pete Rose (paternity suit)
*NBA, Larry Bird (paternity suit)
*Boxing, Oscar de la Hoya (paternity suit)
*NHL, Mark Messier (paternity suit)
*NBA, Patrick Ewing (paternity suit)
*MLB, Jim Palmer (paternity suit)
*MLB, Juan Gonzalez (paternity suit)
*MLB, Steve Garvey(paternity suit)
*NBA, Hakeem Olajuwon (paternity suit)
*NBA, Gary Payton (paternity suit)
*NBA, Scottie Pippen (paternity suit)
*NBA, Isiah Thomas (paternity suit)
*NBA, Allen Iverson(paternity suit)

rudy.

whatupyos
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM

NFL, Darren McFadden (three illegitimate kids in four years of high school and college)

rudy.

Wow. Unbelieveable!! Mostly all NFL and NBA. No white guys.....interesting.

camarokids
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM

ON THE COURT, IN THE COURT
*MLB, Pete Rose (paternity suit)
*NBA, Larry Bird (paternity suit)
*Boxing, Oscar de la Hoya (paternity suit)
*NHL, Mark Messier (paternity suit)
*NBA, Patrick Ewing (paternity suit)
*MLB, Jim Palmer (paternity suit)
*MLB, Juan Gonzalez (paternity suit)
*MLB, Steve Garvey(paternity suit)
*NBA, Hakeem Olajuwon (paternity suit)
*NBA, Gary Payton (paternity suit)
*NBA, Scottie Pippen (paternity suit)
*NBA, Isiah Thomas (paternity suit)
*NBA, Allen Iverson(paternity suit)

rudy.

Neuter them bastards!!! Snip, snip.....:D

Apparently wearing a condom is out of the question?????

cjw
10-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Pete is pretty white.....

whatupyos
10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Pete is pretty white.....

Check my quote again. I didn't include the In court peeps.

dirtyla2000
10-28-2009, 05:29 PM
no,rich white people are too busy perpertrating war and steeling our hard earned savings! at least these athletes only screw themselves!

whatupyos
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
no,rich white people are too busy perpertrating war and steeling our hard earned savings! at least these athletes only screw themselves!

Yeah, where would we be without the American military....PLEASE!!!:rolleyes: :mad:

34swtns
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
That they do.
Rest assured, if if I ever come into a bunch of dough there will be no "homies" coming along for the ride.

cohibasmoker
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Yeah, where would we be without the American military....PLEASE!!!:rolleyes: :mad:

I'm not getting your point - would you care to elaborate?

Jim

Dewey2007
10-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Not really that interesting. There are lots of white guys who have kids out of wedlock and with multiple partners but they just don't play sports. I guess scouts don't get out to trailer parks to often.

In our society it seems white folks with lots of kids get their own TV shows and become faux celebrities.

dcgreg25
10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
This thread was labeled off topic so I am going to wander a little further and suggest that the mods consider adding a section to the board for "other" threads like this, political discussions, etc. There are some really interesting sports related (and others) threads on here that are not focused on GU and it would be a good place for them.

This would give members a forum to talk about all kinds of non-GU subjects with other people on the board. Just a thought.

allstarsplus
10-28-2009, 07:24 PM

rudy.

Rudy - OUCH. I don't know if I qualify for your list as I have 5 kids by 2 different mothers. Now then, I was married when all children were conceived and I was 25 when my 1st child was born and 42 when my twins were born. WOULDN'T TRADE ANY OF THEM FOR THE WORLD!

Unfortunately my 1st marriage ended in divorce after 11 years of marriage, and proud to say that I never missed a child support obligation. My 23 year old son is in a PhD program, my 2nd son is in his sophomore year of college, and my 3rd son is a Junior in High School and my twins are in 1st grade.

I won't judge any of the names above unless I know their story. Most of us know untraditional families.

I am a proud father and most that know me know how great my kids are. I have told people to judge me as a father when all my kids are grown up and we see how they all turned out.

cohibasmoker
10-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't know why people ( black, white, green, yellow, or whatever) squander their money. All I know is, give me a couple of million dollars and the only time you guys will hear from me is an occasional email between cocktails and cigars on my sailboat sailing the Caribbean. And, if I were to squander the money away, I would not blame anyone except MYSELF !!!!!

Jim

dirtyla2000
10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Rudy - OUCH. I don't know if I qualify for your list as I have 5 kids by 2 different mothers. Now then, I was married when all children were conceived and I was 25 when my 1st child was born and 42 when my twins were born. WOULDN'T TRADE ANY OF THEM FOR THE WORLD!

Unfortunately my 1st marriage ended in divorce after 11 years of marriage, and proud to say that I never missed a child support obligation. My 23 year old son is in a PhD program, my 2nd son is in his sophomore year of college, and my 3rd son is a Junior in High School and my twins are in 1st grade.

I won't judge any of the names above unless I know their story. Most of us know untraditional families.

I am a proud father and most that know me know how great my kids are. I have told people to judge me as a father when all my kids are grown up and we see how they all turned out.
AND THAT WILL BE YOUR LEGACY,NOT MONEY FAME OR ANYTHING ELSE .GOOD FOR YOU IT SEEMS YOU ARE ALMOST THERE.

kingjammy24
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Rudy - OUCH. I don't know if I qualify for your list...

andrew, let me know when you squander your first $60 million and we'll put you on the list ;)

anyway, it wasn't my list. i found it on the web. i just brought it up because i imagine all of those paternity suits and child support payments affect athletes going broke. some websites actually turned the entire topic into a little rotisserie game with stats and everything. apparently, the current champ is calvin murphy; 14 kids by 9 women! the best part? the NBA selected calvin to help mentor NBA rookies to help them "..avoid the pitfalls and traps that can beset NBA players." who's their financial mentor, bernie madoff?

a few posters have said they can't understand how these things happen. i thought the SI article gave some good insight into what exactly causes these things. at a very basic level, i think when you're giving young kids huge sums of money and fame and very little education and life experience to manage that money and fame, the outcomes can hardly be expected to turn out well. when alex rodriguez was 18 yrs old, the mariners signed him with a $1mm signing bonus. how is giving an 18 yr old $1mm supposed to help him stay grounded in reality and not end up like antoine walker?

rudy.

David
10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I remember when Ki Jana Carter was interviewed as a rookie. He said he put all his #1 Draft Pick signing bonus in a very conservative but safe investment (bonds?) and decided to live just of his yearly salary. People dismissed this, saying he should buy and invest big. But Carter said that if he did this he would be set for life, even if he had an big injury. Well, he soon after had the big career shortening injury. I just recall him coming across as very mature and financial thoughtful for a young suddenly rich man, even when many were saying he should spend his bonus.

topcityhockey
10-29-2009, 02:23 AM
this is why the leagues need to do several things- 1) Require that all players have a college education 2) Ensure that part of that education consists of a money management course/work with the universities to require this for all athletes 3) Assign each player a financial advisor who is a representative of a legitimate company registered with the SEC 4) establish a trust fund for each player that takes 10% of their salary and holds it, building interest until they retire.

These are just a few of my ideas on how we can protect the players

nomo121
10-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Require them to do this, or do that. Provide them this, so they will have that.. Nonsense. In theory they are adults, and can make their own decisions. If they cannot, then they pay the consequences. Besides, they are suppose to have gone to college. Most had the option to graduate but may not have b/c they didn't want to. But, they should have, so if pro sports is over, and they are out of money, they can get a job. Regardless, sports shouldn't do anything for them. If they are fools with money, they'll be fools w/ less money later on.

joelsabi
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
My 23 year old son is in a PhD program, my 2nd son is in his sophomore year of college, and my 3rd son is a Junior in High School and my twins are in 1st grade.

Andrew,

You eldest sure is setting a high ceiling for his siblings to follow. Just from you family photos, you have level headed kids and must be a very proud father.

Regards,

Joel

allstarsplus
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Andrew,

You eldest sure is setting a high ceiling for his siblings to follow. Just from you family photos, you have level headed kids and must be a very proud father.

Regards,

Joel

Joel - Thanks. My oldest has received full academic scholarships from his freshman year of college all the way through his PhD program, and my 2nd son is on 3/4 academic scholarships and my 3rd son hopes to get a full ride on a sports scholarship for football where he wants to be a 2 sport athlete in college like Deion Sanders ;) (CB for football & 2nd base for baseball). My 6 year old son is already playing baseball and lacrosse and my daughter does dance.

I have told people my key is emphasizing the academics and make sure they are always involved in 1 athletic activity during each season. Don't spoil your kids too much as you want them to strive and not be reliant on their parents.

Like I said, I have a long way to go in the parenting and trust me, there were some small bumps along the way.

The funniest thing is when I tell people I have 5 kids and look at the expressions on people's faces. :eek:

bigtruck260
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I did my Masters thesis on the creating a consulting service that...

Oh - maybe I shouldn't leak that info. I'll tell you what -Paypal me $50K and I'll email it to you. :)

frikativ54
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Joel - Thanks. My oldest has received full academic scholarships from his freshman year of college all the way through his PhD program, and my 2nd son is on 3/4 academic scholarships and my 3rd son hopes to get a full ride on a sports scholarship for football where he wants to be a 2 sport athlete in college like Deion Sanders ;) (CB for football & 2nd base for baseball). My 6 year old son is already playing baseball and lacrosse and my daughter does dance.

I have told people my key is emphasizing the academics and make sure they are always involved in 1 athletic activity during each season. Don't spoil your kids too much as you want them to strive and not be reliant on their parents.

Like I said, I have a long way to go in the parenting and trust me, there were some small bumps along the way.

The funniest thing is when I tell people I have 5 kids and look at the expressions on people's faces. :eek:

Andrew,

You sound like a great dad; your kids are lucky to have you. I can say from experience how much it would have meant to me to have had a dad who was involved in my life. My Dad lived in the house but was AWOL emotionally.

It's easy to point fingers at people who have 5 kids, but you're right, you don't know how they actually treat their progeny. Congrats on doing things the right way. I wish there were more people like you, and that more athletes were involved in their kids' lives.