PDA

View Full Version : BMH- Wade Boggs Bat?

GoTigers
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
BMH, I'd really appreciate your help on this one.

It's a 35" S2, not cupped. It seems to match Wade Boggs' shipping records from 1977 exactly. He was under contract at the time, so should it have his name in script?

The only other player it could be is Tommy Boggs, did he have an order for these same bats, from the same time period, 1977-1979? I thought he'd be issued a PITCHERS bat since he only saw 18 ab's in 1978.

Thanks for your help.

MSpecht
10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Jimmy--

Here is some basic information regarding specific dates, etc documented in Wade Boggs' H & B records. Unfortunately we do not have Tommy Boggs' records, and since the time frame is before the 1981 H & B computerized switchover, it may be difficult for Brian to assist.

Anyway, Wade's first order of H & B bats was dated 7/5/76 ---model P72. His next order was dated 10/7/76 for 2 bats that match your specs ( S2 / 35 inches / 31 oz), but not the 1977-79 labeling. These bats would likely have been the first produced with his fascimile signature on the barrel, as his "new auto" notation is also dated 10/7/76. The fact that two bats were produced on that order is consistent with H & B practice at the time.

The next recorded orders for Wade were both dated 5/4/77..... these orders were for three model R43 (34 / 32) and three S2 (35 / 32).

In the absence of being able to determine if any S2 bats were made for Tommy Boggs during the label period, one alternative is to run down one of the 1977-79 Wade Boggs R43 bats and check out the labeling, which likely would be the same as the single S2 order in 1977 referenced above.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

JimCaravello
10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey guys - thought I would weigh in on this topic.....

Years ago - I believe back around 1996 / 1997 or so, there was a late 70's Wade Boggs bat up for auction in Lelands. I do not remember the model number of the bat, but the bat was a Signature Model bat. Unfortunately, I threw out that old catalogue. I am not saying the bat pictured was not ordered by Wade - just letting you know that the only pre-80 Boggs Louisville Slugger I have ever seen in the market was a Signature Model bat.......

Maybe someone has that old catalogue laying around? Kind of a brownish / tan cover?

Thanks, Jim

GoTigers
10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the help, Looks like I've got some more research to do. I'll dig around on the Leland's website to see what I can find. Thanks again for the help.