PDA

View Full Version : 1950s bats question; current color etc.

Number9
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Have only owned 2-3 1950s GU bats but always notice the wood looks very different from my modern bats. Darker usually, lighter grains etc. Yet in color film and color photos from the 50s, the bats look the same color as modern bats.
Anyway, my question is: does wood change color over time and that is why they look different?

Also do the burned stampings fade/dissipate over time?

I assume this is the case but finally got around to taking pics and asking.
See my photos below for an example.

Have seen countless photos of bats for sale and the 50s bats always look different from modern bats; older bats always look a lot darker to me.

Thanks.

Mike

ndevlin
10-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Is that a Jackie Jensen bat?

JimCaravello
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Mike - wood will over time age somewhat and darken depending upon the conditions the wood has been kept in. The Jensen bat you have is 50 + years old and appears to have aged nicely. I have some bats from the 50's and early 60's though, that are still very blonde. A lot really depends upon moisture, original condition, the amount of finish applied, how the bat was handled and used, etc.

Also - it should be noted that wood in it's natural state is not all the same color - and bats from the 50's, 60's and all eras are going to have variations in color at the raw production stage and some will be darker than others.....

In addition, I believe over time that LS has applied more finish to newer bats ( late 70's / early 80's and on ) than you saw in the 50's and 60's for sure.........

I play and collect vintage guitars as well and many guitars with natural finished Adirondack and Sitka white spruce tops will age slowly over time and develop a nice, darker patina to them.

Here are a couple of photos of guitars you can see some of the same aging taking place. The first is a 1944 Martin 000-28 and the second is a mid 2000s Martin 000-28. You can see the difference in color of the tops.....

Hope that helps. Jensen bats are pretty tough - thanks for posting the pics of that one! A one time ( short lived ) Yankee!!

Number9
10-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info. I have seen quite a few much darker than the Jensen, and have just always wondered about that, thanks for the info. I had a great Del Rice bat (I am a Milwaukee Braves fan) but it was so dark that the blonde looked like it was a cherry bat or something. I wish they stayed closer in appearance to how they were when they were used, but like you said, I understand that depends on a lot of things like age, storage etc. Sort of like how white flannel jerseys yellow I guess.

Cool guitar hobby!

Hi Nate,
Yeah that's a Jensen. Light use but it has his number painted on the knob and I really like that aspect.

Mike

Number9
03-10-2010, 05:06 PM
One of you guys e-mailed me about this Jensen bat awhile ago. I apologize for not remembering. Seems like it was a Cal Bears collector.
E-mail me at: historydogs@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Mike