PDA

View Full Version : Beware - Jeter GU Jersey on eBay

bottomofthe9thonline
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
This just went up on eBay, seller claims it is a game used Jeter 2008 pinstripe jersey from Steiner. This exact jersey sold as game issued on eBay just last week. Final price was 734.50, it's eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-NY-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Team-Game-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270472784013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef96f288d

Now its being advertised as game used for $2,950, ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-JETER-GAME-USED-2008-YANKEE-JERSEY-STEINER-HOLO_W0QQitemZ260497345465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6da0bb9

jetersbatboy
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
His asking price has gone up its now $3950.
I noticed in the first auction that it had a game used holo. But after consulting with a couple other forum members. It was pointed out to me that game used holograms are also put on game issued items. An that the only way to truly no would be have the LOA with matching holo.
How sad this is!!:mad:

rmichne
10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Scott,
Not sure if the business about Steiner putting Game Used Holos on Game Issued is really true. I have a closet full of 2008 Steiner Game Issued Yankees Jerseys and they all have Game Issued Holograms on them.

The Jeter jersey is a mystery. I saw it when it was up and bid on it and lost (which makes me more sad now). I went back to the original listing and you can make out the Game Used Hologram attached.

I guess someone could check it out who has connections with Steiner by running the holo number (18007)

Ron

jetersbatboy
10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Ron,
The two forum members I talked to, purchase from Stiener and told me the have seen game used holo on game issued letters. I tried to confirm this with Stiener threw email and receive a vague answer from there customer service stating "it is very possible" Other then that, that's all the info I had. Now if it is a game used jersey man did I miss out!!! I hope its only game issued or I'll be kicking myself in the ass for a few months!!:eek:
Scott

ferro39
10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
steiner has to have the absolute worst customer service i have ever dealt with. it is cartoonishly bad.

you would think they would do all that they can to help customers and collectors not get ripped after jerseys and memorabilia has left their hands, but as long as they have their money, i guess

makes me appreciate meigray that much more

jetersbatboy
10-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Heres a photo of a pair of game issued pants with a game used hologram.

jetersbatboy
10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Heres the listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-NY-Yankees-Game-Issued-Road-Pants-37-x-34-STEINER_W0QQitemZ320367809936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9768d590#ht_968wt_941

halofan
10-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Your right, his ebay buying name is 5toolplayersbhs (http://myworld.ebay.com/5toolplayersbhs) do a search and you see he bought the Jeter jersey and buys Invicta watches, and what does the seller also sell??? INVICTA (http://cgi.ebay.com/INVICTA-S1-RALLY-CHRONO-2832-HARD-TO-FIND-BLUE-CF-DIAL_W0QQitemZ260496145718QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWrist watches?hash=item3ca6c7bd36)watches..Wow, atleast the first seller of the jersey was honest with Game Issued, by looking at the washtags/jersey to me anyways it doesnt show any use, (just my thoughts) Jeter known for getting uniform dirty? I thought so playing against the Angels.

mfurnari
10-27-2009, 02:05 AM
To all the idiots I need to respond to. Yes, I bought the Jeter jersey for $734 on ebay last week. I guess I was the only one who noticed the hologram said "game used". I even went as far to ask the seller about this because he did list it as game issued. After receiving his answer I realized he had no idea what the hologram meant. Novice buyers and sellers are ignorant to what "game issued" vs. what "game used" means. This seller is in this grouping. I can assure you Steiner "experts" that game issued jerseys receive "game issued" holograms while game used get...You got it, "game used" holograms! For the "expert" who could assertain game usage from the pics provided and deemed it not game used (even though Steiner put a game used hologram on it) I say you sir are either the best authenticator ever or just another idiot. Probably the latter.

I usually don't frequent these types of forums because of the idiots who spend their time bashing honest collectors and waste everyones time. I say to you, "Put up or shut up!" If you can prove the jersey is NOT game used I will pull the listing off ebay. Untill then you can bid on it if you like. My reserve is $2500.

jetersbatboy
10-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Why don't you do some research and prove it's game used. If an item is sold as game issued you should show, what makes you call it game used. Do you no anything about the 08 Yankees jersey? Do you no that after the all star break they put on black arm bands. So this jersey would have had to bin used pre all star game. I have searched over 600 images from 6 diffrent photo shelters, looking for a photo match! Not one came close! I did notice the hologram, but used common sense by first researching the jersey. I also inquired with Steiner about there hologram, and if game used holograms are put on issued items. There answer to my question was it's very possible. So prove it's game used!!! I think I made enough points to say more then likely it's not. If your opinion is based on a little hologram, your the IDIOT!!!!

mfurnari
10-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Hey Scott! That is your name right? Thanks for all of that great research you did! Let's review shall we? First you were able to talk to someone at Steiner at 8pm this evening even though they had already been closed for hours!! This Steiner rep told you (these are your words) that it is "very possible" that game used items receive game issued holograms and that he was "vague" about it. So, which was it Scott? "very possible"? or "vague"?

It's ok Scott we know the answer. I am although impressed with your ability to research and view over 600 images, consult various forum members, and speak to Steiner all in a matter of minutes! You are quite the hands free geek! A forum member has already blasted your theory with his "closet full" of Steiner "game issued" items having nothing but "game issued" holograms on them!

As you said in your earlier post, "start kicking yourself in the ass!" over this one! Next time bid to win.

rmichne
10-27-2009, 07:51 AM
mfurnari,
Congrats on the jersey and welcome to Game Used Universe. I hope your first twelve hours have been enjoyable.

I was one of 'the idiots' that posted regarding your jersey. If you had actually read my post I stated that all my game issued had game issued holos and all my game used had games used. I was (in a sense) sticking up for you.

My only question is when you said you talked to the seller 'he' said blah, blah, blah, whatever. The seller is actually a 'she' not a 'he'. Just wondering who you actually talked to.

Hope your stay here is enjoyable. We look forward to whatever knowledge you can bring to the forum.

Best,

Ron

JETEFAN
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I have said it in the past and I'll say it again. Steiner has been the worst thing that could have happened for Yankees collectors. They have totally destroyed the market for Yankees collectors. Selling tons of "issued" items, total lack of knowledge as to the who, what, when and where of an item. It's a case where great marketing earned a company who had no clue as to the game used hobby access to the greatest franchise in the history of sports and they totally destroyed it for the Yankkes collector.

George

mfurnari
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I only registered to this lame site so that I could respond to the idiots: sportscrazy13, jetersbatboy, halofan, yankeesfan98.

By the way, all "game used" experts!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a guy tell me this morning he didn't think the jersey was real because he couldn't photomatch the Yankee pinstripes in the right places? I thought glue sniffing went out decades ago. My bad!

Listen all you experts, I don't care if you have a letter from God himself....the only way you will ever know if a jersey was ever "used" is to actually take it off the athletes back, and have someone snap a pic while doing it. Then you would still have doubters. Letters from Steiner, PSA, JSA, GAI, Taube, Mears, Bushing,Meidema,Lampson can be used to wipe your butt after a discharge because it is simply an "opinion" of game use.

Two of the three "experts" I have been linguisting with the last 12 hours admitted they were bidding on the jersey. They are pissed off someone first outbid them and then wrecked them on this site.

Don't cry over a missed opportunity. All you so called "collectors" are in it for the same reason. The difference between you and me is that I am willing to admit that I just want to make some money to fund my next purchase.

jetersbatboy
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I only registered to this lame site so that I could respond to the idiots: sportscrazy13, jetersbatboy, halofan, yankeesfan98.

I had a guy tell me this morning he didn't think the jersey was real because he couldn't photomatch the Yankee pinstripes in the right places? I thought glue sniffing went out decades ago. My bad!
Pinstripe's is one of the best ways to photomatch! An I live in Hawaii, we don't sniff glue we smoke marijuna

Listen all you experts, I don't care if you have a letter from God himself....the only way you will ever know if a jersey was ever "used" is to actually take it off the athletes back, and have someone snap a pic while doing it. Then you would still have doubters. Letters from Steiner, PSA, JSA, GAI, Taube, Mears, Bushing,Meidema,Lampson can be used to wipe your butt after a discharge because it is simply an "opinion" of game use.
So you admit your hologram is a opinion! An atheles authenticating there own equipment, That works well!!!! Just ask all the guys who buy A-Rod home run bats!!!!

Two of the three "experts" I have been linguisting with the last 12 hours admitted they were bidding on the jersey. They are pissed off someone first outbid them and then wrecked them on this site.
I never side I bid on the jersey, nor did I bid. As there was no evidence that made it game used

Don't cry over a missed opportunity. All you so called "collectors" are in it for the same reason. The difference between you and me is that I am willing to admit that I just want to make some money to fund my next purchase.
Yes, I try to make a few bucks like everyone else!!! But be honest and disclose all the facts. The jersey was purchased as game issued.
Yes my, name is SCOTT. I hope you enjoy your pristine Jeter jersey with it's shine sticker, and welcome to the site!!!

BULBUS
10-27-2009, 02:53 PM
The bottom line is that the jersey is NOT game used, it is game ISSUED. There is absolutely no use and if it was actually a game used jersey, it would sell for more that 4k. The Steiner hologram was a mistake or an attemp to decieve. I like how on so many questionable Steiner items, the letter gets "lost" or "misplaced".

If someone purchases this jersey believing they just bought a Derek Jeter game used jersey, they are being ripped off. Now, being that you purchased the jersey for what I think is a very fair price, you should describe the jersey as you bought it and still make a few bucks.

-Chris

sportscrazy13
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM

I had a guy tell me this morning he didn't think the jersey was real because he couldn't photo-match the Yankee pinstripes in the right places? I thought glue sniffing went out decades ago. My bad!

Take a deep breath buddy... no reason to get all personal.

I simply asked you a few questions and stated my opinion about the jersey. And yes I still have not been able to photo-match it through MLBTV. If it is game used, then why is it still sitting there not sold? 4K for a Jeter GU jersey would be a steal.

lehmsbobby
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Sent the guy a message telling him it was fake

he replied "you shouldn't believe everything you read ass****"

there ya go. true mensch.

rmichne
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Is 'linguisting' even a word?

BCowan40
10-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I wanted to chime in here and confirm several things. First a representative here at Steiner, Efrain Reyes was originally contacted about this jersey by one of his customers and Efrain confirmed that this jersey is indeed game issued, not game used. We used the J tag number which is shown in the photo to access this information through our records. The hologram on the jersey was incorrectly placed and for that we are absolutely at fault. Not only is the hologram incorrect but you'll notice there is no MLB hologram as all of our game used jerseys typically have. With that said we don't want to see any further problems so are requesting that the seller please remove the jersey as game used as he so generously offered to do. Make no mistake this is not a Derek Jeter 2008 game used jersey, it is game issued. Also the comment made by the seller about it being possibly the last jersey Jeter wore at Yankee Stadium is incorrect because as other members have pointed out the Yankees had armbands on their jerseys in the 2nd half of the season. This jersey is a Derek Jeter 2008 game issued jersey. We are truly sorry for this mistaken use of a game used hologram and are taking the needed steps to insure better quality control and prevent something like this from happening in the future.

3arod13
10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I wanted to chime in here and confirm several things. First a representative here at Steiner, Efrain Reyes was originally contacted about this jersey by one of his customers and Efrain confirmed that this jersey is indeed game issued, not game used. We used the J tag number which is shown in the photo to access this information through our records. The hologram on the jersey was incorrectly placed and for that we are absolutely at fault. Not only is the hologram incorrect but you'll notice there is no MLB hologram as all of our game used jerseys typically have. With that said we don't want to see any further problems so are requesting that the seller please remove the jersey as game used as he so generously offered to do. Make no mistake this is not a Derek Jeter 2008 game used jersey, it is game issued. Also the comment made by the seller about it being possibly the last jersey Jeter wore at Yankee Stadium is incorrect because as other members have pointed out the Yankees had armbands on their jerseys in the 2nd half of the season. This jersey is a Derek Jeter 2008 game issued jersey. We are truly sorry for this mistaken use of a game used hologram and are taking the needed steps to insure better quality control and prevent something like this from happening in the future.

Kudos for coming forward and explaining this matter. Not many would do so.

Regards, Tony

jetersbatboy
10-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Brooks,
I agree with Tony, thanks for steping up!!!!!

Now I think someone owes use idiots a big fat sorry!!! Thought I don't think, will see him any more!!!

suave1477
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I have not contacted the seller during this whole thread. So I have had no communication with him at all.

After reading BCowans response I was curious if the seller was aware at the point that it is a fact that the Jersey was not game used.

I did not saying anything harmful or mean or in any derogatory tone of any sort. I just simpley asked him.

THIS WAS HIS RESPONSE!!!

"Dear buyer go fuck yourself!"

You got to love this guy.

sportscrazy13
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I have not contacted the seller during this whole thread. So I have had no communication with him at all.

After reading BCowans response I was curious if the seller was aware at the point that it is a fact that the Jersey was not game used.

I did not saying anything harmful or mean or in any derogatory tone of any sort. I just simpley asked him.

THIS WAS HIS RESPONSE!!!

"Dear buyer go fuck yourself!"

You got to love this guy.

Wow... this guy is good at making friends.

I don't think he'd change his auction if Jeter himself told him it was game issued.

legaleagle92481
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Has anyone ever seen a regular season Steiner game used Jeter Jersey? I have seen one listed on their website for 25 grand. The rest that I have seen have all been game issued, BP or Spring Training. Jeter is a huge collector himself so I think he keeps alot of his game used stuff for his own collection or to trade with other players (I read an interview with him once where he said he loves to do that).

nickacs
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Has anyone ever seen a regular season Steiner game used Jeter Jersey? I have seen one listed on their website for 25 grand. The rest that I have seen have all been game issued, BP or Spring Training. Jeter is a huge collector himself so I think he keeps alot of his game used stuff for his own collection or to trade with other players (I read an interview with him once where he said he loves to do that).

Yea, right now Steiner has 3 Jeter game used regular season jerseys:
2004 home jersey - $10,000
2009 road opening day jersey - $10,000
2009 home jersey - $15,000

:eek:

3arod13
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
To all the idiots I need to respond to. Yes, I bought the Jeter jersey for $734 on ebay last week. I guess I was the only one who noticed the hologram said "game used". I even went as far to ask the seller about this because he did list it as game issued. After receiving his answer I realized he had no idea what the hologram meant. Novice buyers and sellers are ignorant to what "game issued" vs. what "game used" means. This seller is in this grouping. I can assure you Steiner "experts" that game issued jerseys receive "game issued" holograms while game used get...You got it, "game used" holograms! For the "expert" who could assertain game usage from the pics provided and deemed it not game used (even though Steiner put a game used hologram on it) I say you sir are either the best authenticator ever or just another idiot. Probably the latter.

I usually don't frequent these types of forums because of the idiots who spend their time bashing honest collectors and waste everyones time. I say to you, "Put up or shut up!" If you can prove the jersey is NOT game used I will pull the listing off ebay. Untill then you can bid on it if you like. My reserve is $2500.

I'll keep checking back for your apology.

bottomofthe9thonline
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Looks like eBay did the right thing here:

This listing (260497345465) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

halofan
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I aka the idiot :rolleyes: , never said I was an expert, I just gave my opinion:D . I understand he saw something that people missed, and he thought he had gold, and he could flip it. But, to be a douche bag with name calling and telling people to F' themselves, shows people just what a jackass he is.

Masimen
10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Looks like he took it down and probably is getting a refund from the original seller, because that person has it listed again as game issued. Having issues posting the link. Sorry.

jetersbatboy
10-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Looks like he took it down and probably is getting a refund from the original seller, because that person has it listed again as game issued. Having issues posting the link. Sorry.

It doesn't look to be the same jersey. The NOB is placed differently. But that bring up another question, where does this seller get all her game issued jersey?

sportscrazy13
10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
The seller has both Jeter & Rivera game issued jerseys for sale... but both with Steiner game used holograms???

joelsabi
10-29-2009, 09:51 PM

this is the coolest jersey i have seen of jeter on the market and has since been sold.

http://californiasportsinv.com/details.php?prod_id=1698&sportid=1

sportscrazy13
10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
this is the coolest jersey i have seen of jeter on the market and has since been sold.

http://californiasportsinv.com/details.php?prod_id=1698&sportid=1

Wow I missed that one. Do you know what the asking price on it was?

BULBUS
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Buyer of the Jeter jersey left feedback for the jersey: I love this jersey. Great item Great seller. Wore it for the winning game :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-NY-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Team-Game-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270472784013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef96f288d

nickacs
11-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Buyer of the Jeter jersey left feedback for the jersey: I love this jersey. Great item Great seller. Wore it for the winning game :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-NY-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Team-Game-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270472784013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef96f288d

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing017.gif