PDA

View Full Version : Steiner being sued!!

suave1477
10-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Yanks' costly error

$5M suit says seats are cheats

By JAMIE SCHRAM, AUSTIN FENNER and JEREMY OLSHAN
Last Updated: 7:14 AM, October 26, 2009
Posted: 5:09 AM, October 26, 2009

John Lefkus paid $2,000 to own the seats where for 23 seasons he cheered his beloved Bronx Bombers, but when the relics of the old Yankee Stadium arrived at his New Jersey home last summer, he instantly knew that something was wrong.
A new paint job had erased the two decades of wear and tear created by his posterior, and this new blue was at least a few shades off the original. Still worse -- and for this he had to consult photographs to be certain -- the original armrests were completely different from the ones that once supported his elbows.
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/10/26/news/photos_stories/cropped/john_lefkus--300x300.jpg Brian Branch Price
ONCE MORE INTO THE BLEACHERS: John Lefkus says the Yankee Stadium seats that he bought for $2,000 aren't the real originals from which he watched the team for 23 years.

adsonar_placementId=1482040;adsonar_pid=871774;ads onar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=225;adsonar_jv='ads.ad sonar.com';

Steiner Sports, the company handling the sale of memorabilia from the old stadium, promised "authentic" and "unrefurbished" seats, but when company owner Brandon Steiner told Lefkus that it was impossible to locate his original armrests for section M11, Row A, seats one and two, he said he had no choice but to sue.
"Seats sold as authentic, unrefurbished, and original Yankee Stadium seats were simply new pairs of seats constructed with a combination of new hardware and repainted parts of old seats," according to the $5 million federal class-action lawsuit Lefkus filed against Steiner and the Yankees on behalf of thousands of fans who bought their old seats.
"I feel like the steroid stars. My seats come with an asterisk," Lefkus, 52, told the Post. "My boys grew up in these seats from boys to teenagers to men. We had them for 23 years."
Back in May, when the sale of seats was announced, Steiner and the Yankees made no secret of the fact that all the original paint would have to be stripped because of lead. A new color, resembling the faded blue, was used to simulate their original appearance.
Although the seat backs and bottoms were all tagged for identity before being treated, the armrests were not, Steiner said.
"It was impossible to tag all the armrests," he said. "They all had to go into an oven and we didn't have a system in place to keep track of them."
Steiner claims that he offered to refund Lefkus' purchase and even give him the seats for free.
"Then he tried to extort me, demanding I upgrade his season tickets and get him a whole bunch of autographs," Steiner said.
"Steiner's effort at changing the subject really doesn't address the problem raised in our lawsuit," attorney Ralph Stone responded.

I personally think this is a bit crazy. Steiner had made a public announcement that they had to refurbish the seats due to the lead paint on them.

So now basically this guy wants to make a mole hill into a mountain because of the armrests.

On top of that try to get more than he is being offered (Season tickets, Free Autographs etc....)
Steiner is offering him full refund and the seats.

Whats to complain about???

cjclong
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Regardless of whether their was proper attention to getting the seats right I don't think a jury is going to be terribly impressed when they find out that Steiner was not going to charge for the seats and give them to him for nothing. Where are the damages?

cohibasmoker
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Regardless of whether their was proper attention to getting the seats right I don't think a jury is going to be terribly impressed when they find out that Steiner was not going to charge for the seats and give them to him for nothing. Where are the damages?

You may be right - where are the damages? I wonder how many lawsuits the Yankees are going to have to defend due to alleged health-related issues to ticket holders because they used "lead" based paint on their seats.

Jim

mvandor
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Agreed. If they offered to refund him, even let him keep the seats for free, he's just another example of what's wrong with the legal system. Should be tossed out with him paying Steiner's legal fees.

gingi79
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
If I owned season tickets for over 20 years, I want to be damn sure they are my seats. The $5 million is never going to happen but the lawsuit says they arent his seats at all, just a random set of seats and arm rests from the stadium.

An (not really so) extreme example. If I order a game used Jeter jersey and they send me a Swisher jersey with the 33 taken off and a 2 put on, it is not what I ordered and paid for. Looks the same, was worn by a player, not the same thing.

However, he should be compensated with the seats and maybe some small swag, not $5 million. Hope he gets it though, Brandon Steiner is a lying scumbag and if this bankrupts him, gives him bad press or loses him lots of money then good f-ing job!

kingjammy24
10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
"...we didn't have a system in place to keep track of them."

the steiner motto.

anyway, without any comment on the merit of the suit or its likely outcome, i will say that i understand why the guy is upset. he had his heart set on the seats that him and his sons had for 23 yrs; the seats his boys grew up in. he obviously had an emotional attachment for good reason and understandably is upset that he didn't get what he thought he paid for (which seems to be a common theme in this hobby). his precious momento of his kids was ruined in a way because steiner didn't have the mental fortitude to figure out how to do the job right.

i think brandon steiner saying it was "impossible to tag all of the armrests" is nonsense. if we can get a man on the moon, beam wireless internet signals from a moving car to a satellite hovering in space, and retrieve a fork from the dining room of the titanic, then surely it'd have been possible to dis-assemble and re-assemble these seats with their original parts. it's not impossible, its just impossible for steiner which isn't saying much. in 2005, they scored the biggest deal in game-used history. they chose to go live with no ids or tracking even though at the time meigray already had an id/tracking system in place. all they did was put generic holograms on which were easily removed and reapplied. they did eventually say that they used invisible ink but how does that help potential buyers on the secondary market? what am i supposed to do when i see a circa 2005-06 steiner shirt for sale? buy it first, then after i've paid send it to steiner to test for the ink and if its bad, try like heck to get a refund? geezus. not exactly the sharpest tacks over at steiner HQ. thousands graduate from MIT every year. i'm betting a couple of those kids on a lunch break could've figured out how to dis-assemble/re-assemble these chairs properly.

rudy.

David
10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
That was the first thing that came into mind when I started reading the article = "Removal of lead paint"

If the seats were misrepresented in advertising I can understand how a refund is justified. However, if Steiner was removing the paint because they were required to by law (which I suspect was the case), you can't sue (and win-- anyone can sue of course) Steiner for doing what the law required them to do. That's like suing someone in court because he didn't cheat on his taxes.

Jules9
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
The link below is the lawsuit (assuming it's the real deal). There are pictures of the seats in the lawsuit, when they were in the stadium and from the guys driveway. Seat #1 has an armrest with hinges on it that would connect it with another seat but since it's an aisle seat, it shouldn't have hinges on the armrest. So now I guess it all depends if the armrests are considered part of the seat. In my opinion, the guy didn't get his actual seats.

I don't think he wants $5 million to put in his pocket but for everyone that bought seats to get there money back because the might not of gotten their "real seats"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21455510/Lefkus-v-Steiner-Sports

murfsteve25
10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
[quote=kingjammy24;167375 he obviously had an emotional attachment for good reason and understandably is upset that he didn't get what he thought he paid for (which seems to be a common theme in this hobby). his precious momento of his kids was ruined in a way because steiner didn't have the mental fortitude to figure out how to do the job right.

i think brandon steiner saying it was "impossible to tag all of the armrests" is nonsense. if we can get a man on the moon, beam wireless internet signals from a moving car to a satellite hovering in space, and retrieve a fork from the dining room of the titanic, then surely it'd have been possible to dis-assemble and re-assemble these seats with their original parts. it's not impossible, its just impossible for steiner which isn't saying much. [/quote]

Couldn't have been said any better!