PDA

View Full Version : McGwire to be Cards new hitting coach??

thomecollector
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I just read on MLB.com that McGwire could be LaRussa's next hitting coach. Good news for the McGwire fans.:D

sox83cubs84
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I just read on MLB.com that McGwire could be LaRussa's next hitting coach. Good news for the McGwire fans.:D

Of course, that's assuming LaRussa returns in 2010...not a done deal, as he's still weighing his options.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
10-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Would be great to see him back...if it happens...:cool:

suicide_squeeze
10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Of course, that's assuming LaRussa returns in 2010...not a done deal, as he's still weighing his options.

Dave M.
Chicago area

La Russa:

"Let's see.....if I don't manage, I'll have a lot more time for drinking.........booze? baseball.

Booze?........Baseball. Booze?......."

Can't wait to see which way it goes. More steroid baseball?.....or the bottle?? http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/drink4.gif

thomecollector
10-25-2009, 06:07 PM
La Russa:

"Let's see.....if I don't manage, I'll have a lot more time for drinking.........booze? baseball.

Booze?........Baseball. Booze?......."

Can't wait to see which way it goes. More steroid baseball?.....or the bottle?? http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/drink4.gif
Suicide,
Be careful. As our posts with Frik were edited out.:( You crack me up . Where'd you get those smileys ?

Lokee
10-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Well that is nice to see hopefully it will work out. I always enjoyed me some BIG MAC !:eek:

Lokee
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM

Dave M.
Chicago area

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/commishs-hot-stove/commishs-hot-stove/cardinal-beat-updates/2009/10/tlr-back-mcrae-out-big-mac-appears-in/) reports that the Cardinals will announce that La Russa will return next season at a press conference Monday morning.

sox83cubs84
10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/commishs-hot-stove/commishs-hot-stove/cardinal-beat-updates/2009/10/tlr-back-mcrae-out-big-mac-appears-in/) reports that the Cardinals will announce that La Russa will return next season at a press conference Monday morning.

I just saw that, as well. LaRussa can be annoying and overbearing, but I basically like the guy as well as what he does for ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation). Although Cubs fans usually are predisposed to be LaRussa haters, if he does return that's cool by me.:cool:

Dave M.
Chicago area

earlywynnfan
10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Someone please tell me how McGwire will help those hitters who can't hit 500+ foot home runs! What else does he know? What else can he show and teach them?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

skyking26
10-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Someone please tell me how McGwire will help those hitters who can't hit 500+ foot home runs! What else does he know? What else can he show and teach them?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
He has worked with several hitters that were struggling on a private basis over the years in off-season, and each hitter has stated that Mac has turned their game around to the positive.

mr.miracle
10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
He has worked with several hitters that were struggling on a private basis over the years in off-season, and each hitter has stated that Mac has turned their game around to the positive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/sports/baseball/13mcgwire.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

Well said Bob, if it is true that Big Mac is back, I will be glad to see him returning to the game. He has been gone far too long.

whatupyos
10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/sports/baseball/13mcgwire.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

Well said Bob, if it is true that Big Mac is back, I will be glad to see him returning to the game. He has been gone far too long.

I hope he comes back. I can't wait!! He's helped Holliday and Skip Schumaker (sp?). They're both over .300 hitters. He was a great mental student of the game. Just because he wasn't a .300 hitter doesn't mean he can't teach it to others. I would love to see my boy back in the game. I hope he comes back and he's treated fairly.

Aaron

skyking26
10-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I hope he comes back. I can't wait!! He's helped Holliday and Skip Schumaker (sp?). They're both over .300 hitters. He was a great mental student of the game. Just because he wasn't a .300 hitter doesn't mean he can't teach it to others. I would love to see my boy back in the game. I hope he comes back and he's treated fairly.

Aaron
Let it be said I want McGwire back in the game...

Now, that said, he will get backlash from media and fans and he needs to face that the way he should have when he left. The negativity surrounding McGwire was brought on by Mark McGwire when he refused to answer and was evasive. If you look at Andy Petite, jason Giambi...they were humble and faced it - and where are they? They are still playing. The public has a tendency to put aside some things if it is faced humbly. McGwire needs to follow the aforementioned as it will help him move on.

5kRunner
10-26-2009, 12:13 AM

Aaron

Unless Big Mac was helping Holliday before he came to St Louis, I'm not sure you can say he helped him become a .300 hitter. Considering he has hit .300 every year but one.

Holliday did catch fire once he arrived in St Louis. Maybe Mac was responsible???

Anyway, I'm not a Mac fan. I'll leave it at that.

dnrapp
10-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Just like he hepled Matt Holliday last off season geting ready to play for the A's. It only took Holliday till the start of June to go back to his old way of hitting.

skyking26
10-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Just like he hepled Matt Holliday last off season geting ready to play for the A's. It only took Holliday till the start of June to go back to his old way of hitting.
It will be interesting. Those that note his .266 avg. and the fact his been in hiding for years have points. Mark created the situation.

My guess is, he'll return with his famous statement: "I'm not here to talk of the past....just the future."

If he does, I know I won't pay much attention to him in 2010...

rj_lucas
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I can only speak for myself, but it will be great to see McGwire back in uniform and in the Cardinals dugout again.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:1-4 (NIV)

TNTtoys
10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Unless Big Mac was helping Holliday before he came to St Louis, I'm not sure you can say he helped him become a .300 hitter. Considering he has hit .300 every year but one.

Holliday did catch fire once he arrived in St Louis. Maybe Mac was responsible???

McGwire helped Holliday this past year when he played in Oakland and was in a deep slump. He changed Holliday's mechanics to eliminate a bad habit that he had gotten into over time. There was a dramatic improvement in Holliday's numbers from his time with McGwire forward.

whatupyos
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I can only speak for myself, but it will be great to see McGwire back in uniform and in the Cardinals dugout again.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:1-4 (NIV)

Well said. I know I need to keep this in mind myself, as I fail. I'm a huge McGwire fan and don't like people mad dogging him, so I should keep that in mind when I dig at other people's favorite players. Again, well said.

Aaron

whatupyos
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Actually, McGwire has been helping Holliday for at least 3 years. It started about 3-4 years ago when he was in Colorado. Gallego tried to get Mac back into baseball and had him visit the club when they played in LA. He texted Holliday off and on and he's give him advise. So, he's been helping Holliday for a good chunk of time now, not just this last year to state the facts.

Aaron

whatupyos
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
It will be interesting. Those that note his .266 avg. and the fact his been in hiding for years have points. Mark created the situation.

My guess is, he'll return with his famous statement: "I'm not here to talk of the past....just the future."

If he does, I know I won't pay much attention to him in 2010...

I love how you bump your McGwire thread every 5 days and say you're a fan but then you come out with statments like the one above and how he should have taken the path Giambi and Pettite did. Look, that's your opinion and that's fine, but I'd have taken the advise my lawyers had given me all the same.

Aaron

skyking26
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I love how you bump your McGwire thread every 5 days and say you're a fan but then you come out with statments like the one above and how he should have taken the path Giambi and Pettite did. Look, that's your opinion and that's fine, but I'd have taken the advise my lawyers had given me all the same.

Aaron
Aaron, for starters I bump 7 or more days...if I even remember to do it at all. If I've done in less, it was by mistake. I make mistakes, acknowledge when I do, etc.

Yes, I am a McGwire fan for accomplishments on the field before roids, and even if he did them you still have to posess the skills whether you are on juice of not. However...I've been open over the years about not thinking much of the fact that he was not humble like the others I mentioned and that his actions have hurt his own rep. I believe you and I have spoken about that privately via email as well. I think a person can still be a fan of a player but not agree with everything they do. My feelings on that are mine, and as such I really don't care for the personal attack regarding my statements.

You do surprise me by yours however. I've been told many a time by a good friend that I should leave this forum for bs like this...not being able to speak my mind etc without a bash, and I guess I never learn.

RK

whatupyos
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Bob,

Come on my friend. That was hardly a bash. I was just shocked at your statements. You always seem to be a harcore fan. Just reacting. I consider you a friend and I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way, just a simple exchange between two fans the way most guys do. Again, if I seemed harsh or hurt your feeling, I apologize.

Aaron

suave1477
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I must say I am a bit surprised at a lot of the responses. I myself am not a Mac Fan. Some one here mentioned that he should be treated fairly.

Why?

He didn't reat the game fairly!!

STLHAMMER32
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I am going to cover some of the concerns brought up by the posts I have seen about Mark becoming hitting coach:

Big Mac's career batting average has nothing to do with his ability to coach and help players. McGwire's approach as a player was not to put the ball in play with 2 strikes...He was paid to hit homeruns and that is exactly what he did...he hit a hr once every 10 at bats. This is an incredible statistic. Although this was his personal approach this doesn't mean he applies that to everyone else. McGwire teaches mental focus..if you remember watching mcgwire on deck he would close his eyes and invision his at bat. He teaches seeing and picturing mentally what you will take into your at bat. McGwire thought about pitching situations, tendencies of the pitchers, what he would do with each type of pitch. He passes that on along with hitting techniques such as balance( mcgwire maintained tremendous balance in his hitting). Mcgwire has a talent for teaching hitting both the mental aspects and recognizing physical aspects as well. I think the average thinks "oh mcgwire just hits Hr's he don't know nothing else"....when really there is much more that goes into the game. A great example of this is "tipped pitching". The pitcher giving indication of what he will throw by small movements such as change of grip, small flare of the glove. The people that can recognize this will always have a job in baseball even if they can't hit a pitch to save their life, him telling others that can use it makes all the difference in the world. I know several who had this ability who kept jobs on teams that otherwise would have had nothing. Throw any numbers to the side when discussing coaching. Great players can be horrible coaches....it's about the talent to teach.

2.) McGwire has not been proven guilty of anything....we can assume all we want but the fact is you are innocent until proven guilty. Or did we change that? Sure seems like it. I'll be the first to say I think he did. Truth is we can do that for anyone. If McGwire comes out and spills his guts about what happened it would probably be best for his reputation. McGwire is less worried about him he doesn't want to be asked about others...he knows teammates that did and many involved. He is the opposite of canseco wants no part in involving others. For this reason he has chosen to not talk at all. You know what he doesn't have to, there is no evidence to even discuss.

3.) Like him or not he was a huge part of bringing baseball back. As baseball fans we should move past the steroid controversy...we all love the game and it most likely would not be here the way it is today without big mac...

Vintagedeputy
10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
When Julio Lugo hits 60+ home runs in 2010, I'm sure that it'll be because he's "just seeing the ball better".

:)

sox83cubs84
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
From a collector's standpoint...it'll be refreshing (and Mcgwire will probably appreciate) the fact that, since he retired, Wrigley Field has gone Gestapo on fan access, and he won't have every collector and dealer in the area stampeding down to the wall when the gates open to line the wall to obtain his autograph.

Dave M.
Chicago area

suave1477
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
LOOKS LIKE IT'S OFFICIAL!!

Mark McGwire Cards' New Hitting Coach

Posted Oct 25, 2009 4:18PM By Pat Lackey (http://www.fanhouse.com/bloggers/pat-lackey/) (RSS feed (http://www.fanhouse.com/bloggers/pat-lackey/rss.xml))
Filed Under: Cardinals (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/category/stl-cardinals/), NL Central (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/category/nl-central/)

Email
Print (javascript:void(0))
Share (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php)

Text SizeAA (javascript:void(0);)A (javascript:void(0);)

http://www.blogcdn.com/mlb.fanhouse.com/media/2009/10/mark-mcgwire-congress-200.jpgMark McGwire (http://www.fanhouse.com/tag/Mark+McGwire/) will end his baseball exile and accept a position with the St. Louis Cardinals (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/team/cardinals) as their hitting coach, a Cardinals source confirmed to FanHouse's Ed Price Sunday afternoon. He'll replace Hal McRae, who's held the position for five years. The story initially appeared on Brian McRae's Twitter account (http://twitter.com/kcsluggers/), though it's since been deleted.

McGwire played 4 1/2 seasons with St. Louis, in which he hit 220 home runs and briefly set the single-season MLB (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/) record with his 70 homers in 1998. Of course, since then he's been surrounded by steroid rumors and has more or less dropped entirely off of the baseball radar after his Congressional testimony in 2005.

This news seems to make it pretty clear that Tony La Russa (http://www.fanhouse.com/tag/Tony+La+Russa/), who's been close with McGwire after managing him both in Oakland and St. Louis, should be back in 2010 as the Cardinals (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/team/cardinals) manager. There was initially some question about that, but a report by Joe Strauss Sunday morning pointed pretty strongly towards La Russa's return (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/909C76CEEB157E818625765A000E21D1?OpenDocument). It's hard to imagine any way McGwire accepts this job without La Russa in St. Louis.

What will be interesting is how the private McGwire handles his return to the baseball spotlight. He must know that by accepting this position, he's going to have to do some talking about the past, so to speak. Though, by announcing the hiring early, the Cardinals are probably hoping most of that dies down by the time the team is ready for spring training next February.

dnrapp
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
McGwire helped Holliday this past year when he played in Oakland and was in a deep slump. He changed Holliday's mechanics to eliminate a bad habit that he had gotten into over time. There was a dramatic improvement in Holliday's numbers from his time with McGwire forward.

You got your time frame wrong. McGwire hepled Holliday in the off season as well as Bobby Crosby. Holliday slumped badly to start the season while trying to use the points that McGwire gave him. Holliday only started to hit once he went back to his old Colorado hitting approach.

Bondsgloves
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Why? Cardinals Why?

Won't this be a distraction? The questions are still going to be asked about steroids because they were never answered.

What can McGwire possibly bring to the table. Is going to help Pujols how to avoid the steroid issue when you get caught?

I think this is just a mater of friend giving a friend a job.

STLHAMMER32
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Why? Cardinals Why?

Won't this be a distraction? The questions are still going to be asked about steroids because they were never answered.

What can McGwire possibly bring to the table. Is going to help Pujols how to avoid the steroid issue when you get caught?

I think this is just a mater of friend giving a friend a job.

Not only will this move help in signing holliday but it is a great chance for McGwire to get back in the game. Hopefully he will address the issues needed early and it will have calmed down by season start. McGwire has helped several hitters already during offseason and west coast trips. He was highly regarded as a teacher of the game during his playing days like Greg Maddux is for pitching. McGwire helped mentor a young Pujols in 2001. He has respect that far surpasses a guy like Hal Mcrae. This is a good move for the cardinals and baseball as long as it gets handled the right way. Big Mac helped save the game now stop hating and give it a chance.

bigtruck260
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I am going to cover some of the concerns brought up by the posts I have seen about Mark becoming hitting coach:

Big Mac's career batting average has nothing to do with his ability to coach and help players. McGwire's approach as a player was not to put the ball in play with 2 strikes...He was paid to hit homeruns and that is exactly what he did...he hit a hr once every 10 at bats. This is an incredible statistic. Although this was his personal approach this doesn't mean he applies that to everyone else. McGwire teaches mental focus..if you remember watching mcgwire on deck he would close his eyes and invision his at bat. He teaches seeing and picturing mentally what you will take into your at bat. McGwire thought about pitching situations, tendencies of the pitchers, what he would do with each type of pitch. He passes that on along with hitting techniques such as balance( mcgwire maintained tremendous balance in his hitting). Mcgwire has a talent for teaching hitting both the mental aspects and recognizing physical aspects as well. I think the average thinks "oh mcgwire just hits Hr's he don't know nothing else"....when really there is much more that goes into the game. A great example of this is "tipped pitching". The pitcher giving indication of what he will throw by small movements such as change of grip, small flare of the glove. The people that can recognize this will always have a job in baseball even if they can't hit a pitch to save their life, him telling others that can use it makes all the difference in the world. I know several who had this ability who kept jobs on teams that otherwise would have had nothing. Throw any numbers to the side when discussing coaching. Great players can be horrible coaches....it's about the talent to teach.

2.) McGwire has not been proven guilty of anything....we can assume all we want but the fact is you are innocent until proven guilty. Or did we change that? Sure seems like it. I'll be the first to say I think he did. Truth is we can do that for anyone. If McGwire comes out and spills his guts about what happened it would probably be best for his reputation. McGwire is less worried about him he doesn't want to be asked about others...he knows teammates that did and many involved. He is the opposite of canseco wants no part in involving others. For this reason he has chosen to not talk at all. You know what he doesn't have to, there is no evidence to even discuss.

3.) Like him or not he was a huge part of bringing baseball back. As baseball fans we should move past the steroid controversy...we all love the game and it most likely would not be here the way it is today without big mac...

I was here in 1998 when the world was riding on Mac's jock strap, hounding and harrassing him every step of the way. People KNEW back then that he was probably taking steroids, and it was reported DURING the record season.

However, we forgave it for his HR chase (most of us). All of a sudden after his career has ended, people want to come out and riun the dude for a mistake he made - if he made one at all.

At his best, he was one of the premier power hitters in the game, a legend. Not many of us can say that we are one of the best in the whole world at the job we do...just as not many of us can say we have never done something we regretted at one time or another.

He obviously still has a passion for the game - and if that's the case, maybe he can use his great baseball mind to teach the next generation of great players what to do - and what NOT to do.

He has guts to come back and face the music in STL.

STLHAMMER32
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I was here in 1998 when the world was riding on Mac's jock strap, hounding and harrassing him every step of the way. People KNEW back then that he was probably taking steroids, and it was reported DURING the record season.

However, we forgave it for his HR chase (most of us). All of a sudden after his career has ended, people want to come out and riun the dude for a mistake he made - if he made one at all.

At his best, he was one of the premier power hitters in the game, a legend. Not many of us can say that we are one of the best in the whole world at the job we do...just as not many of us can say we have never done something we regretted at one time or another.

He obviously still has a passion for the game - and if that's the case, maybe he can use his great baseball mind to teach the next generation of great players what to do - and what NOT to do.

He has guts to come back and face the music in STL.

Everyone is quick to judge and belittle a guy who resurrected the game. Everyone has made mistakes and while we assume Mcgwire made the mistaking of using roids among many of the games best from the generation we still don't know. Nobody has a positive test nor records that are damning. As a baseball fan I welcome him back and as a Cardinal fan I am very happy to see he his back contributing to this organization.

Rboitano
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Who cares what he did or didnt do, he made the game exciting again. Brought a lot of interest back to the game. Im glad to see him back, I hope he does the annual Winter Warmup.

whatupyos
10-27-2009, 10:02 AM
You got your time frame wrong. McGwire hepled Holliday in the off season as well as Bobby Crosby. Holliday slumped badly to start the season while trying to use the points that McGwire gave him. Holliday only started to hit once he went back to his old Colorado hitting approach.

Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Happy-Holliday-helped-by-Big-Mac?urn=mlb,45897

bigtruck260
10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Happy-Holliday-helped-by-Big-Mac?urn=mlb,45897

Mac added the leg kick? Wow - that seems to be a big part of his swing right now. Doesn't look like he's stopped using that (leg kick) one bit.

STLHAMMER32
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Mac added the leg kick? Wow - that seems to be a big part of his swing right now. Doesn't look like he's stopped using that (leg kick) one bit.

Big Mac wanted to change a few things in Hollidays swing to make him more balanced. He wanted him to change the high leg kick because it is not a great way to maintain balance. No hitting coach would teach it. But ultimately Holliday went back to the high leg kick because he felt comfortable doing it. Some habits are tough to break and they just end up going back to them. It happens a lot....Mac just wanted to see him change because it would lead to more consistent balance. Look at a guy like Pujols, picks the foot up puts it back down. This allows him to sit back on offspeed. So to answer any questions Mac tried to change the leg kick but ultimately holliday went back to it.

OaklandAsFan
10-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Aaron

he also worked with Bobby Crosby and being an A's fan you should be painfully aware how well that worked out ;)

Good riddance, have fun in Japan cause I am pretty sure thats the only place thats gonna offer him money to play next year.

Back on topic, I personally think its a bunch of cr@p that he just gets a job handed to him. There are tons of guys busting their butts working their way up through the ranks and Mac just gets a job handed to him because of his name thats BS IMHO.

Rboitano
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Should have spent less time in the batting cage and more time shagging fly balls for Holliday. He is a future first baseman, got to be one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game today.

OaklandAsFan
10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Should have spent less time in the batting cage and more time shagging fly balls for Holliday. He is a future first baseman, got to be one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game today.

+10000000000000000

STLHAMMER32
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM

I believe that was his first error with the cardinals(the infamous play). He actually is considered a very solid fielder in baseball. He doesn't have a flashy glove but is very solid with a good throwing arm.

STLHAMMER32
10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
he also worked with Bobby Crosby and being an A's fan you should be painfully aware how well that worked out ;)

Good riddance, have fun in Japan cause I am pretty sure thats the only place thats gonna offer him money to play next year.

Back on topic, I personally think its a bunch of cr@p that he just gets a job handed to him. There are tons of guys busting their butts working their way up through the ranks and Mac just gets a job handed to him because of his name thats BS IMHO.

Here's the thing...no he does not have experience and others have worked hard, but you have obviously never worked with a big league hitter ;). McGwire has repect among those players that no one else "working their butts off" have. Joe Schmo who worked in the minors for 12 years just has no credibilty with someone like mmhhmmm Albert Pujols. McGwire can approach anybody in that dugout and offer advance to an attentive listener...very tough to find. Rudy Jaramillo has that respect, few others..Add Mark to that list now.

suicide_squeeze
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Well, it may be BS.....But what it really is is yet another flagrant indication of why I can't stand Tony LaRussa. The guy is twisted between the ears.

He has made a living managing teams loaded with some of the most juiced players in the history of the game. McGwire, who I have already stated that I just can't help like because of the 1998 spectacle with Sosa (it was a shot in the arm for baseball.....unfortunately more literally than figuratively), not to mention his great personality and disposition, is his boy. Now? LaRussa comes out now and says that he still believes Mark is "The product of hard work. He's as big as ever, he works out everyday."

Are you KIDDING me LaRussa? I mean, is this guy really fooling anyone? I don't think anyone in the world believes LaRussa is truly that ignorant. The FBI has obtained documented proof that McGwire was using steroids way back in the early '90s, so what's LaRussa doing playing dumb in 2009??

Because McGwire is his boy. Some things never change. And all this does, his standing up for Mark, coupled with the continued avoidance of addressing the issue that everyone already knows happened, just makes them both look selfish, silly, and less appealing to fans that would like to just see the burial of the steroid issue. God, I wish Mark would just come out already and get it off his chest.....tell everybody the truth, what he used, why he did it (to recover from chronic injuries, etc.) I personally don't believe McGwire did steroids for the sole intention of "cheating". He would have a much better chance of making the Hall if he would come clean. As it stands now, he has NO chance.

STLHAMMER32
10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Well, it may be BS.....But what it really is is yet another flagrant indication of why I can't stand Tony LaRussa. The guy is twisted between the ears.

He has made a living managing teams loaded with some of the most juiced players in the history of the game. McGwire, who I have already stated that I just can't help like because of the 1998 spectacle with Sosa (it was a shot in the arm for baseball.....unfortunately more literally than figuratively), not to mention his great personality and disposition, is his boy. Now? LaRussa comes out now and says that he still believes Mark is "The product of hard work. He's as big as ever, he works out everyday."

Are you KIDDING me LaRussa? I mean, is this guy really fooling anyone? I don't think anyone in the world believes LaRussa is truly that ignorant. The FBI has obtained documented proof that McGwire was using steroids way back in the early '90s, so what's LaRussa doing playing dumb in 2009??

Because McGwire is his boy. Some things never change. And all this does, his standing up for Mark, coupled with the continued avoidance of addressing the issue that everyone already knows happened, just makes them both look selfish, silly, and less appealing to fans that would like to just see the burial of the steroid issue. God, I wish Mark would just come out already and get it off his chest.....tell everybody the truth, what he used, why he did it (to recover from chronic injuries, etc.) I personally don't believe McGwire did steroids for the sole intention of "cheating". He would have a much better chance of making the Hall if he would come clean. As it stands now, he has NO chance.

We will see how he handles it. I think we can all agree him coming clean would be best for him. As far as Larussa's comments....I think what he means is that McGwire worked his ass off and is still big to this day ( showing that he was going to be built steroids or not with his work ethic). McGwire was among the first to work in the weight room and practically lived in there. With him saying he his a Product of hardwork its a way of saying it wasn't the steroids that made him what he his. He knows what took place but Mac hasn't talked about it so this was a way for him to show support for McGwire. Love or hate Tony he has a hall of fame body of work. He had guys that used steroids and so did every other manager in the league at some point.

whatupyos
10-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Steve-

I respect your opinion. To be fair, they're both (McGwire and LaRussa) stand up guys in most peoples opinion. I had the priviledge of meeting both of them at different times. I have endless stories of how humble they are. What's wrong with La Russa sticking up for his boy? I stick up for mine, at any cost, unless it involves murder or some sick disgusting deed. Say as just an example, you had a son who did something others didn't approve of. You'd get his back. That's all Tony is doing. We all make mistakes, some more than others, some not so harmful, others more.

Aaron

bigtruck260
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Steve-

I respect your opinion. To be fair, they're both (McGwire and LaRussa) stand up guys in most peoples opinion. I had the priviledge of meeting both of them at different times. I have endless stories of how humble they are. What's wrong with La Russa sticking up for his boy? I stick up for mine, at any cost, unless it involves murder or some sick disgusting deed. Say as just an example, you had a son who did something others didn't approve of. You'd get his back. That's all Tony is doing. We all make mistakes, some more than others, some not so harmful, others more.

Aaron

This is a good rebuttal....and judging by your answers, you are familiar with both guys.

To some of the others...

I forgave Manny for taking PED's - and lying about them...he did his time, suffered the humiliation and came back to face the music. He has MUCH more to lose than Mac ever did. A-Rod too...people can forgive them, and we move on.

Mac NEVER DENIED using PED's. He has served his exile, and knows the consequences of coming back to baseball. There are going to be fans that jeer him, etc. He's apparently willing to stand up to it. Not many people could do that and effectively coach. It's going to be a hard road, but let the guy handle it without speculating on his demise.

For those who think he's not a good guy to be teaching hitters (.263 average) - he was very capable of hitting .300 - and did so a few times in his career. He was one of the few guys who re-invented his approach at the plate. When he was locked in - you could not put a pitch in the zone without him hammering it.

Give him some time, see how he does, see what the players say...then pounce on him and say "I told you so".

suicide_squeeze
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Aaron, bigtruck, & others,

Let me do my "Obama" pathetic immitation for just a second.....

"Let me be perfectly clear"..... :rolleyes: :p

I like Mark McGwire, always have. I just wish the dude would address the 800lb. gorilla that will not get off his back until Mark himself decides he's had enough. EVERYONE KNOWS, Mark.....just get it out and over with already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the healing begin, and you'll make your Hall of Fame.

I also know Tony LaRussa is a fine manager. But the "playing dumb" routine while playing the "work ethic" card doesn't do it for me. Again, and along the same vein, that kind of sweeping-under-the-rug approach just makes me lose respect for the guy. But he is a Hall of Famer when it's all said and done......if he avoids picking up any more DUI's http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

Lastly, I have no problem with LaRussa sticking up for Mark. It's a comaraderie thing.....a guy he went to battle with.....that's what it's all about. But these two guys should accept the fact that it's all but written in scripture....we KNOW what happened. Just take your medicine, let it out, and let's all move on.

I have quite a few Mark McGwire game used items. I have one of his rookie home run balls (one of the rookie record 49), I have his 18th from 1998, signed and inscribed by him, and another later home run (I believe #540, also signed). I would have bought his last career homer #583 which came up for auction, but I didn't have the funds available at the time.

Trust me, Mark will always be a special player in the annuls of baseball history, and to me as a collector. That's just one more reason why I wish he would end the silence. He's is taking a risk coming back with KONG on his back. If he doesn't end the silence, things may get worse for him. If he does, there is absolutely NO doubt in my mind he will be forgiven, welcomed back with open arms, and back as a deeply rooted member of MLB as a hitting coach, loved by all who see him in ballparks across the nation.

I guess we'll see.....one way or the other.

3arod13
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Welcome Back "Big Mac!"

suicide_squeeze
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Side "LaRussa" note for you guys.....

In 1974, my cousin Gary Robson, pitching for the 1974 Rochester Red Wings, the AAA affiliate for the Orioles, with Doug DeCinces as his third baseman and facing Kent Tekulve as the opposing pitcher (later of Pittsburgh Pirates fame, the "submarine" pitcher)....pitched a perfect game.

It was the first (and only) perfect game ever pitched for the Red Wings.

Tony LaRussa was the second basemen behind Tekulve.

In his two at bats against my cousin......LaRussa struck out twice.....http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/36.gif

dnrapp
10-27-2009, 05:02 PM

You stated that McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump while he was in Oakland. Here is the story about them working together this past off season
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3976320

whatupyos
10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Aaron, bigtruck, & others,

Let me do my "Obama" pathetic immitation for just a second.....

"Let me be perfectly clear"..... :rolleyes: :p

Priceless!!! I love it!! Steve, I hear you buddy. I know where you stand and how you feel, I was speaking in regards to La Russa sticking up for his boy as that part I wasn't clear on in terms of you not understanding why someone would stick up for their buddy.

whatupyos
10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
You stated that McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump while he was in Oakland. Here is the story about them working together this past off season
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3976320

I never said McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump. I stated he helped Holliday for the past several years. Please find specifically where I said "McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump in Oakland".

skyking26
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM

I agree with every word Steve has written. Almost like I wrote it myself...

allstarsplus
10-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Big Mac is one of my favorite players of all-time. I don't necessarily agree with some of the choices he has made and allegedly made.

The summer of 1998 was a special time for my family and my relationship with my kids. At the time I had 3 sons and my son who was 5 years old at the time got his "love of the game" watching Cardinals games and Big Mac. He wanted to play baseball.

I have said it before, Big Mac I believe got kids back to playing baseball because he made it cool. CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL and so do DUDES and KIDS!

dnrapp
10-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I never said McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump. I stated he helped Holliday for the past several years. Please find specifically where I said "McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump in Oakland".

Sorry another poster said that. Your posted a link that said McGwire gave Holliday a tip in 2006. And I was posting about their working together this past off season and you come at me saying I was wrong.

rj_lucas
10-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I have said it before, Big Mac I believe got kids back to playing baseball because he made it cool. CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL and so do DUDES and KIDS!

Agreed. Perhaps some of the younger forum members are not familiar with the best sports commercial ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltD21rYWVw

"C'mon Alice!"

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

whatupyos
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry another poster said that. Your posted a link that said McGwire gave Holliday a tip in 2006. And I was posting about their working together this past off season and you come at me saying I was wrong.

No worries my friend, a little miscommunication.

whatupyos
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Agreed. Perhaps some of the younger forum members are not familiar with the best sports commercial ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltD21rYWVw

"C'mon Alice!"

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

That was a classic!!!