PDA

View Full Version : EBAY: Raines GU Expos Jersey?

emann
10-25-2009, 02:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Montreal-Expos-Game-Used-Jersey-Tim-Raines_W0QQitemZ300359622114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eed41de2#ht_500wt_1182

Any thoughts on this jersey? I've heard that a bunch of them surfaced a few years back that were suspect, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

I'm not 100% on the seller either. I've seen them sell some nice items, but I bought a Boggs bat last year from them that was an altered store model when I received it (no issues returning it though)...

LastingsMilledge85
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm praying he is legit, I spent 300 on my "grail" last week from him.

sox83cubs84
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
The size is right, and the tail tag (inside) looks good. The jersey does not, however, show the 1982 All-Star Game patch on the left sleeve. If worn that season, there should at least be an outline of the removed patch, which B&E doesn't address in their description. They're good guys, but NOT experts.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Birdbats
10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Funny to see a thread on here about Tim Raines jerseys because I just bought one today. Ozzie Smith had a restaurant in St. Louis for many years and it closed last week. The memorabilia from the walls was auctioned off today. Ozzie took his good stuff (ASG jerseys, Gold Gloves, etc.), but a few jerseys were up for grabs (all circa '89-'92, when the restaurant was still fairly new). Most of the items went beyond my budget (Griffey, Sandberg, Fielder, etc.), but I snagged this Raines jersey at the end. It's tagged 1989 (tailored), but the plaque on front says 1990... not sure why. I wish I'd also grabbed the Tim Wallach jersey (same year/style), but I'm happy with this one. Now I'm debating whether to take it out of the frame. Might be the only way to determine use. There is puckering on the tackle twill, but the tags look pretty sharp.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/DCP08345.jpg

kingjammy24
10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Funny to see a thread on here about Tim Raines jerseys because I just bought one today. Ozzie Smith had a restaurant in St. Louis for many years and it closed last week. The memorabilia from the walls was auctioned off today. Ozzie took his good stuff (ASG jerseys, Gold Gloves, etc.), but a few jerseys were up for grabs (all circa '89-'92, when the restaurant was still fairly new). Most of the items went beyond my budget (Griffey, Sandberg, Fielder, etc.), but I snagged this Raines jersey at the end. It's tagged 1989 (tailored), but the plaque on front says 1990... not sure why. I wish I'd also grabbed the Tim Wallach jersey (same year/style), but I'm happy with this one. Now I'm debating whether to take it out of the frame. Might be the only way to determine use. There is puckering on the tackle twill, but the tags look pretty sharp.

jeff,

did you take photos of any of the other jerseys available?

what else was available? what year/style were the griffey and fielder?

rudy.

Birdbats
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Rudy, glad you jumped in because I wanted to ask you about the tagging on this Raines (and the Wallach). The Rawlings tags are red -- isn't that odd for '89, or were the Expos different?

I couldn't resist pulling this shirt out of the frame. It definitely shows use -- the tackle twill is soft and puckered and two of the buttons were re-attached with white thread (a couple others are getting loose).

I didn't take photos of the other jerseys and the auction house already pulled the lot photos from their site. The Griffey and Fielder shirts were home whites from the 1992 Tour of Japan series. The Sandberg was a 1990 home. There was a 1991 Pendleton Braves shirt that was advertised as a WS jersey, but no patches at all. The Wallach had the same tagging as the Raines (except no "T" tag). There was a Herzog road advertised as an '85 WS jersey, but it looked minty. There were several football and hockey jerseys, but those all were retail or issued.

Bidding was a crap shoot because everything was framed and nobody knew if the jerseys were altered in the framing process (trimmed, glued, etc.). I'm thrilled the Raines was in tact.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/DCP08346.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/DCP08349.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Jerseys/DCP08348.jpg

sox83cubs84
10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
A red Rawlings tag isn't impossible, but it would be unusual. Everything else seems to check out OK. At least we know it's not from Score Board.:rolleyes:

Dave M.
Chicago area

kingjammy24
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
"Rudy, glad you jumped in because I wanted to ask you about the tagging on this Raines (and the Wallach). The Rawlings tags are red -- isn't that odd for '89, or were the Expos different?"

rawlings began using white tags in 1988. last year of red tags was 1987. (obviously not including 1992). so..yeah its quite unusual. i checked a few photos of 1988 and 1989 expos gamers and they had white tags. as dave said, i guess its not impossible. call it a mishap at the factory.

what struck me was the blue outline around the numbers, nob and "expos". i know that 1989 was thought to be the first year where they went from no outline to a blue outline (1988=no outline, 1989=blue outline) but i'm not 100% sure. there are some photos on getty that have specific dates from 1989 that don't seem to show a blue outline. i'm sure your jersey is fine but you may want to check that issue out.

"The Griffey and Fielder shirts were home whites from the 1992 Tour of Japan series."

those sound like really great shirts. i would've loved to have seen them. i believe the players took their regular season gamers to japan after the 1992 season. oddly enough a few years ago there was a '92 fielder with the tour patch for sale on ebay.

rudy.

Birdbats
10-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Bill Henderson's guide shows the blue outline starting in '89, so that's good.

emann
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Montreal-Expos-Game-Used-Jersey-Tim-Raines_W0QQitemZ300359622114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eed41de2#ht_500wt_1182

Any thoughts on this jersey? I've heard that a bunch of them surfaced a few years back that were suspect, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

I'm not 100% on the seller either. I've seen them sell some nice items, but I bought a Boggs bat last year from them that was an altered store model when I received it (no issues returning it though)...

BTW: For whoever ends up with the 1982 Raines jersey (I've not bid in and won't due to no response from the seller)... I've asked B&E in 3 separate emails over the course of the week if this jersey shows any outline of the All Star patch being removed from the left sleeve (as Dave Miedema correctly mentioned it should have). They have not replied to any of those inquiries and it's a pretty basic question... Caveat emptor.

sox83cubs84
11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
BTW: For whoever ends up with the 1982 Raines jersey (I've not bid in and won't due to no response from the seller)... I've asked B&E in 3 separate emails over the course of the week if this jersey shows any outline of the All Star patch being removed from the left sleeve (as Dave Miedema correctly mentioned it should have). They have not replied to any of those inquiries and it's a pretty basic question... Caveat emptor.

emann:

You've got this on the thread for the 1989 Raines from Ozzie Smith's restaurant, not the thread for the 1982 B&E Raines jersey.:confused:

Dave M.
Chicago area