PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jeff Scott

rj_lucas
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Jeff, just to give you a heads-up, I sent emails to you (birdbats@charter.net) from a couple different accounts today and both were bounced back by the Charter mail server. So if you've having any issues not receiving email you might want to check with Charter.

I had a question for you on the 2001 Pujols jersey-off-their backs jersey that popped up recently. I'm in discussion with the seller. The jersey is tagged as a 2000 (see attached PDF) -- is that a red flag? I recall seeing another 2001 Pujols jersey you'd posted pictures of a couple weeks back, do you know if it was tagged as 2000 or was it 2001?

Assuming the 2000 tag is not a red flag, does it nonetheless diminish the value of the jersey in your opinion? Thanks for any information.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Birdbats
10-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Rick,

Haven't had problems with e-mail that I know of. Still get plenty of them, and nobody else has told me they've had an issue. Odd.

Anyway, the 2001 JOTB jersey looked good in the photos on eBay. It's unfortunate the team doesn't give away LOAs with those shirts. The only supporting documentation was the kind the seller had, and it looked to be in order (that piece of paper with Pujols' name on it is consistent with what has been used in the past to match winners with players).

Is the 2000 tag a red flag? Not really, to me, even though I've never seen another Pujols rookie tagged 2000. True, Pujols already was a star in the making, appearing in the ASG and on his way to rookie of the year. But, I doubt he was getting the kind of treatment then that he does now. In other words, it wouldn't shock me if he was wearing a 2000 jersey. In fact, knowing it would be given away, the team might have made the jersey up from existing stock just for the event. I know Pujols has done that with Cool Base shirts -- he wore one on a day he knew it would be given away (he apparently isn't a fan of Cool Base).

Does the 2000 flag hurt the value? Maybe a little. In a perfect world, a rookie Pujols jersey would have a 2001 year flag. But, it is what it is. I'd guess a lot of players' rookie jerseys have been recycled from old stock. The flag wouldn't change the fact that Pujols wore it for at least one game during his rookie year. Shoot, many of his rookie season bats have other guys' names on the barrel. Just because the bat says Bernard Gilkey doesn't mean it still isn't a Pujols-used rookie bat.

rj_lucas
10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply Jeff, I appreciate it. Regards.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com