PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you will ever find your holy grail?

Fnazxc0114
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
My holy grail right now would be a michael young game used batting helmet. i know ones out there but i have no idea who has it. Heck id be happy with any rangers batting helmet. Im not sure what they do with them. so do you guys think you will be able to find your grail?

cjclong
10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I have a Micheal Young game used helmet from several years back. Right now I plan to keep it, but if I ever change my mind I'll let you know. I don't know what the Rangers do with their stuff. You rarely see even Ranger game used bats for sale and the one you do see are usually cracked. I've been looking for a Michael Young bat all year. I guess what I would like most is a Mariano Rivera glove from one of his big games and a Luis Arroya glove from 1961 if it exists. Two Yankee relievers separated by more than 40 years.

joelsabi
10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Right now my grail is to find a Dave Concepcion fielding glove. Have no idea where to find it. I have never seen one up for sale before.

jetersbatboy
10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I am like some on this forum, that have found there holy grail, but just can't afford it at this time!

34swtns
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
A Walter Payton game used away jersey that I can afford?
Not a chance! :p

otismalibu
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm sure I could find an item that would qualify as a grail.

I don't know if I'd be up to sacrificing scrotal symmetry.

thomecollector
10-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I was lucky enough to find mine awhile ago. It is a Jim Thome game fielding glove. I was able to find an '06 Sox glove. Photomatched to the '06 AllStar game. That was the end of the first base time for Jimbo. If I could get this photoshop thing down, I would put up the pics. Help ??:D

xpress34
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I've nabbed a couple of 'Grails' for my collection over the years:

Nolan Ryan GU hat from the Rangers

Matt Holliday GU ASG BP Jersey from 2006 (his 1st ASG)

Nolan Ryan Bronze Hand Casting...

THREE Grails I would love to obtain:

Matt Holliday GU ASG BP Jersey from 2007 (his 1st HR Derby)

Josh Hamilton GU ASG BP Jersey from 2008 (1st ASG and 1st HR derby)

Nolan Ryan GU 1993 Home Rangers Jersey (set 2 with HEC letters on sleeve)

frikativ54
10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
My grail is a Jeff Bagwell game-used fielder's glove. I doubt I am going to find one, because I have never seen a legit one on the market.

I have a Bagwell game-ready fielder's glove, but I think that's the best I'm going to get. I'll keep my eyes open though.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/BagsGlove.jpg
Bagwell game-ready fielder's glove - 1999-2001 era

nogloss
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
My holy grail items would be any one of the following with provenance:

Drew Pearson, home game used jersey
Calvin Hill, Dallas Cowboys game used jersey
David Thompson game used jersey

As others have said, money always seems to be an obstacle.

MarinersFan34
10-22-2009, 09:23 PM
I have found it.. I've seen it (in pictures) and I know who has it. However in this case, it will stay a Holy Grail, unattainable. Simply because of the asking price and while it would be the 1 item I'd overspend for by a large amount, I will not be stupid. I have lived this long without it, I will be ok the rest of the way :cool:

xpress34
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I have found it.. I've seen it (in pictures) and I know who has it. However in this case, it will stay a Holy Grail, unattainable. Simply because of the asking price and while it would be the 1 item I'd overspend for by a large amount, I will not be stupid. I have lived this long without it, I will be ok the rest of the way :cool:

So what is 'IT'?

I guess I do have ONE 'TRUE' Holy Grail... and if money were no object, I would track it down and buy it...

I want THE Bloody jersey Nolan was wearing after taking Bo Jackson's chopper back to the mound off his lip...

- Chris

MarinersFan34
10-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Felix Hernandez Aquasox home jersey and it is actually for sale but for the price of a new low end car.

Manram
10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
My holy grail would be a Hanley Ramirez game used helmet. Haven't seen one yet, and don't think i will

LastingsMilledge85
10-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Picked up mine today, A GU Lastings Milledge glove from the 07 season, and for a reasonable price. Always wanted a fielding glove, and making it a Milledge is 10 times better. Now I just need a helmet of his from the Nats.;)

hiflyer56
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
My holy grail would be a Hanley Ramirez game used helmet. Haven't seen one yet, and don't think i will

https://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1804

geoff
10-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I own And bought that Hanley Ramirez SeaDogs Game Used Helmet when he had it for Sale on that Thread.I wish I bought The other Items from him as they were Offered to me back then.

My Holy Grail is also to much for me.I want a Real Manny Ramirez Game Used Jersey with PaperWork And all.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

Manram
10-22-2009, 11:39 PM
nice pick up geoff. Hiflyer thanks for the heads up but i saw that and am mainly looking for a marlins helmet of hanley

brianborsch
10-23-2009, 12:15 AM
My current holy grail is a Clayton Kershaw game used batting helmet. I know it exists as one sold in the 2008 GUU auction. I just don't know who has it. I do know they don't want to sell it as I have posted it as being wanted in the the wanted section with no response numerous times. I will keep on the lookout though. I doubt I will have another shot at it though... :(

BB

CampWest
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Isn't the Holy Grail supposed to be unattainable?

Symantics aside, my answer is "No. Definitely NO!"

My top holy grail is the 8/23/1983 George Brett pine-tar incident bat. George still owns it and has it on loan to the Baseball Hall of Fame. So, nope... its a near impossibility. Even if it someday went up for auction, it would be well out of my budget.

Holy Grail #2 - Ted Williams game use bat... nope, probably never afford one.

BULBUS
10-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Like a few others on here, mine would be a Mattingly game used fielders glove.

-Chris

3arod13
10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Like a few others on here, mine would be a Mattingly game used fielders glove.

-Chris

Wonder if that's even attainable.

BULBUS
10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Wonder if that's even attainable.

I have never seen one hit the market, and it is highly unlikely that one ever will. And if it does, I will have no chance :( , unless I hit the lottery :D

MJB14
10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Doubt I'll ever find mine:

A Dan Fouts game used jersey or helmet

athletics61
10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
A couple I'd love to get:

1977-1979 Bob Brudzinski game worn Los Angeles Rams jersey.
1979 striped Pittsburgh Pirates game worn jersey with original name on back.

Don

dthedos@columbus.rr.com

BorchertField
10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, like a lot of you, I have several grails. Anything game-worn from Don Hutson or Curly Lambeau, but I don't think I'll ever have a shot.

I do have another item I've described as "the grail" that I might be able to get someday - I know who has it. Hope he someday decides to sell it.

karamaxjoe
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, like a lot of you, I have several grails. Anything game-worn from Don Hutson or Curly Lambeau, but I don't think I'll ever have a shot.

Now those are definetly Grails!

I don't think you can clasify much from the last 20 years as a grail unless it was a milestone piece. With the amount of stuff being marketed and sold from modern players, your odds are pretty good on tracking down anything from a modern player.

Didn't a Mattingly glove get sold in the Halper auction? I remember in the Halper video, Mattingly traded one of his bats and a glove for one of Halpers Gehrig bats. That glove must be out in the hobby somewhere

yankees159
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Fun post, I am pretty lucky for I own a few items that I never thought I would find. But for now, a Graig Nettles game used Glove would be awesome to own. Anyone got one? Tjwinnie@aol.com

nomarmauerfan
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I have never seen one hit the market, and it is highly unlikely that one ever will. And if it does, I will have no chance :( , unless I hit the lottery :D

Yes, Donnie did give one to Halper (with a bat) in exchange for a Gehrig bat. Also, back in 1986 or so, at the East Coast National Baseball Card Show in White Plains, NY, there was a table full of Mattingly stuff. The guy who was running it was a man named Prentice Montgomery (I believe). He had a GU glove and bat and numerous autographed pictures. I remember seeing the bat and glove for around $300 and thinking, "man, I wish I had that much to spend on something like that" (I was 16 at the time). I often wonder who wound up with that bat and glove and if it's sitting in a landfill somewhere b/c someone's mom/wife/son/daughter threw it out or if it's still being adored by a collector. As a Mattingly collector, that is one heck of a piece. Actually, I wouldn't mind the glove he wore while playing 3rd base for the 1 game or the glove he wore at @B for the completion of the Pine Tar game. Great stuff!!!

Mike

grosenbrook
10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
My holy Grail would be a Packers Don Majkowski home green gamer. I have never seen one and probably wont.

ksfarmboy
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Mine would be a 1971 orange Orioles jersey made by Brooks Robinson's company. Any player would do, even a coaches jersey.

Clint

brewersfan1984
10-23-2009, 08:41 PM
I think I will be forever looking for a game used Ed Sedar jersey from his minor league days. If anyone has a source for 80's White Sox minor league jersey I love to hear from you.

BernBabyBern
10-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I found mine a couple of years ago thanks to Jim Caravello. Thanks Jim!

Circa 1990-1991 Game Used Don Mattingly Game Used/Signed Helmet.

MAP
Pablo

gingi79
10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Baseball: Kelly Gruber's 1992 World Series Jersey or Chipper Jones Durham Bulls or 1995 World Series Jersey

Football: OJ McDuffie Miami Dolphins second season Aqua game worn jersey

Hockey: Sami Salo's Purple Detroit Vipers or Trevor Linden or Pavel Bure 1994 SCF jersey (Barry owns the Bure, if I win the Lotto, I will just send a stupidly huge offer his way)

I have never sen any other than the Bure.

kylehess10
10-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Baseball: Kelly Gruber's 1992 World Series Jersey or Chipper Jones Durham Bulls or 1995 World Series Jersey

I'm sure every Chipper collector would really want THIS jersey...imagine what it would go for......from his most-popular rookie card..

http://imagehost.epier.com/5769/12-2-2008%202%3B44%3B45%20PM.JPG

dcrules01
10-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Joel Youngblood,Doug Flynn and Pat Zachary Cincinnati 1976 road or home jerseys.

Doug Flynn 1980 Game Used Glove

Any bat from the 1976 season for the 3 above.

Joel Youngblood Montreal Expos jersey.

VERIS#60
10-24-2009, 07:43 AM
My holy grail is a New England Patriots Garin Veris #60 game used rookie helmet. I know long time and first equipment manager, George Luongo gave it to a young female after SBXX. George took her to a sports bar in boston where Garin and other players were guest bartending. George asked Garin to sign the helmet and it has'nt been seen since. At least no one on this forum has any knowledge of it that I know of. What a needle in a haystack this item has been, but I know it is out there. Can any Boston area or Patriots fans give me any feedback on this item? Thanks so much for any information!

Steeler4Life
10-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Easy- The Jersey, pants, helmet that Franco Harris wore on 12-23-72. Most know it as the immaculate reception game.
The shoes from that game were at the Pittsburgh Sports Hall and moved to the Football HOF for awhile.

The Jersey that Frenchy Fuqua was wearing when he was hit by Tatum was bought by Donruss and cut up for jersey cards.

Second is gamers from Rod Woodson but, I'll take shoes from Hines Ward, or Jerome Bettis with my budget!!!

thomecollector
10-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Football: OJ McDuffie Miami Dolphins second season Aqua game worn jersey

Hockey: Sami Salo's Purple Detroit Vipers or Trevor Linden or Pavel Bure 1994 SCF jersey (Barry owns the Bure, if I win the Lotto, I will just send a stupidly huge offer his way)

I have never sen any other than the Bure.
I have Thome's 1995 World Series jersey.:D

BO34
10-24-2009, 07:34 PM
GAME USED BO JACKSON RAIDER HELMET? I doubt it, had several shown my way but never measured up. And I have friends who work for the team....have yet to see a legit one......but what is cool about this hobby is maybe I will come across one when I least expect it!

Always looking for BO RAIDER items..
BOJACKSON@LIVE.COM

BO34
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
GAME USED BO JACKSON RAIDER HELMET? I doubt it, had several shown my way but never measured up. And I have friends who work for the team....have yet to see a legit one......but what is cool about this hobby is maybe I will come across one when I least expect it!

Always looking for BO RAIDER items..
BOJACKSON34@LIVE.COM

PS Sorry email address was wrong from first post..too much tequila

hockeytigers
10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I was lucky enough to find mine a couple weeks ago...I received it and it is awesome! Thanks again to JO Sports!! The problem now is I feel that I should get rid of some of the other lesser known jerseys in my collection and start going after more high priced items...I smell trouble in my future... :)

kirkb
10-25-2009, 11:48 AM
To some extent I think I've found mine. Barry Sanders 1991 blue home jersey with JRT . I never thought I'd get a shot, since he only wore 1 all year. When it showed up I was all over it.
Also have a '56 home Bobby Layne for a very close 2nd place.
I do like the '53 Layne helmet that has constantly been posted in AMI and would like to know who owns it. Any early Joe Schmidt items very cool. And anything from very early days of Lions(Portsmouth Spartans) esp. Dutch Clark.
Love Tigers too(esp '68) but cha can't afford everything. I'm pretty content with what I've been able to find.

JETEFAN
10-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Don Mattingly game used glove............:p

Nathan
10-25-2009, 11:24 PM
A Tobin Rote Packers, Lions, or Chargers jersey would be nice.

Second place would be the money to be able to get one.

nomo121
10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
I have a Micheal Young game used helmet from several years back. Right now I plan to keep it, but if I ever change my mind I'll let you know. I don't know what the Rangers do with their stuff. You rarely see even Ranger game used bats for sale and the one you do see are usually cracked. I've been looking for a Michael Young bat all year. I guess what I would like most is a Mariano Rivera glove from one of his big games and a Luis Arroya glove from 1961 if it exists. Two Yankee relievers separated by more than 40 years.

The Ranger Foundation has sales from time to time at the stadium. They often have bats of the Ranger stars, as well, a multitude of various bats. I bought several unused bats for 25-50 bucks a piece I use for BP.

Never seen any helmets though.

VERIS#60
02-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Hello, to all of my fellow collectors out there. I wanted to follow up my original post from almost 2 1/2 years ago. I finally found my holy grail! Thanks to a long time boston area collector and game used universe member. He wanted to remain anonymous so I will honor that. I told him the story behind this old school Patriots logo helmet. Without my knowledge, he has been searching and searching. After putting many feelers out there, he finally found it. It turns out the Garin Veris #60 helmet was used during the 1986 season and is hammered. I have photo matched it in several photos and oddly enough, a 1989 card. I cannot thank this fellow guu member enough for his arduous work! Sorry, I do not know how to post photos. What a beauty!

frikativ54
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
My grail is a Jeff Bagwell game-used fielder's glove. I doubt I am going to find one, because I have never seen a legit one on the market.

I have a Bagwell game-ready fielder's glove, but I think that's the best I'm going to get. I'll keep my eyes open though.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/BagsGlove.jpg
Bagwell game-ready fielder's glove - 1999-2001 era

It's been a couple of years since this post, and I still haven't found the Baggy. I'll keep looking, but I've moved on to other items. I've found a few of my grails since, and I'm sure I'll find a Bagwell glove eventually.

godwulf
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
A few years ago, I actually made a deal to buy a Matt Williams 2001 World Series home jersey, and the Seller backed out without explanation - claimed a third party actually owned the jersey and that he had backed out. (Probably just as well, as people who pull crap like that are usually not the kind of people with whom you want to deal, anyway.)

cliffjmp33
02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Congrats Veris#60! Always glad to hear people find something they have wanted for such a long time.

VERIS#60
02-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Congrats Veris#60! Always glad to hear people find something they have wanted for such a long time.

Thanks jack! I have been searching for that helmet since 1987. It was a true needle in a haystack.

mad87man
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Will i find it? Yeah maybe one day, will i be able to afford it is the bigger question. One of them would be a Jets game worn 9/11 jersey, being at the game and just that night in general i would love a piece from that game, i saw a few on NFL auction but couldn't afford them at the time so i missed out.
My other grail, not really sure what it would be.

JackHE
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Got to love that Ray Guy - awesome. I collect Raiders from that early 80's time frame but never been able to get my hands on one.

Skizzick
02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, I have multiple Holy Grails, they're not that hard to find, but disposable income is not something I have a lot of. I would love to have a game used jersey from Bobby Clarke or Bernie Parent. I'd also like a game used Cuba jersey from Jose Contreras. But most of all I'd like a game used 76ers jersey from Dikembe Mutombo. He's my favorite basketball player of all time (corruption allegations aside). I'd also like to have a game used UNC basketball jersey. Any player, doesn't really matter. They just don't come on the market that often.

gadsden86
02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Mine would be a Gu'ed Oronde Gadsden jersey. I know a guy on this site has one and i just missed getting it from teh seller just before he did.
If i had a 2nd it would be a Dolphins GU'ed Helmet from .... Gadsden. Cameron Wake, Jared Orick, Greg Camrillo or Sammy Morris.
Thoes would be my favorite.

ncbadges
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Mine was a game used Hamilton bat from his first World Series. Well, that came to fruition a few months ago when HE actually gave one of his 2010 WS bats to my boys and autographed it for them.:D
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/wsboys1.jpg

Soooo, I suppose my next one would be a bat from his second World Series, especially game 3 because we were at the game.

WadeInBmore
02-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Funny enough I just found mine...not sure of I can afford it though lol....oh the irony.

Wade

onlyalbert
02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Maybe someone on here can help. I am looking for one of Pujols' 2001 Spring training jerseys #68. Anyone have any leads? I know one is in the St.L area.

slab0meat
02-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm guessing no... I'd take any of the following:

GU Mattingly #46
GU 1994 Mattingly
GU 1995 Mattingly

eric16841
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I have quite a few but my first is a nick swisher mothers day bat to complete my bat collection of his. If anyone knows where one is please let me know Eric16841@aol.com.

UGA016
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I have been able to grab a couple. 2002 & 2005 UGA SEC Championship rings. But most of all is my 1981 Herschel Walker Game Used Jersey. He signed it and inscribed "My 1981 jersey"....Have been able so far to Match it to the 1981 South Carolina and Kentucky Games. Has a couple Team Repairs. Shows good Game Use.....Goooo Dawgs!!

frikativ54
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
My holy grail right now is a pair of 2005 Jeff Bagwell pair of Darryl Kile tribute spikes. I have the '03 and '04 versions, but I would love the '05 to complete the set. If anybody knows where one is, I will pay a good chunk of change for it. :)

BIGSTIG
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
I am hopefull to land a grail one day, though if I dont and land a bunch of cool items along the way, I will be fine.

Baseball - Greg Maddux cubs jersey circa 86-92

Basketball - Horace Grant early 90's jersey & goggles

It is what makes this hobby fun. The hope of finally getting your dream item.

Wish everyone all the luck on their journey!!

Gridiron Heroes
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I just picked up a 1967 Minnesota Gophers Big Ten Championship ring (Gophers last Big Ten Championship season). It was one of two grail items that's been on my list for over 15 years. I figured I'd never find one. Next up is a 1961 Gophers Nat Champs ring. We'll see if one of those ever turns up.

Shawn
www.gopherjerseys.com (http://www.gopherjerseys.com)
www.gridironheroes.net (http://www.gridironheroes.net)
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

solarlottry
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
My grail items have changed over the last 15 years, as I have acquired items that I once considered "grails".

My 3 "grail" items at this time:

Dwight Clark GU jersey
Hacksaw Reynolds GU 49er jersey
Fred Dean GU 49er jersey

Acquiring any one of the above shirts would be such a thrill! If anyone has any idea on how to acquire any one of these 3 gamers, please let me know. I am paying whatever it takes to add these to my collection!!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

ncbadges
02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Mine was a game used Hamilton bat from his first World Series. Well, that came to fruition a few months ago when HE actually gave one of his 2010 WS bats to my boys and autographed it for them.:D
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/wsboys1.jpg

Soooo, I suppose my next one would be a bat from his second World Series, especially game 3 because we were at the game.

Well...my other white whale was harpooned this weekend! Josh Hamilton's bat from the 8th inning of game 3 (2011 World Series). This is a very special item to me because my son and I were at the game.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/ws2011xx.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/2011WSmatch2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/2011WSmatch1.jpg

ncbadges
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/2011WSbatCERT.jpg

Haylo
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I would have to say a 1965 Dick Wantz #25 home Los Angeles Angels Jersey....and second a game used Jackie Warner Angels bat.

seasonwithangels@aol.com

cfnnb9
04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
My grail item would be a Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech jersey, I have seen one for sale in the last 5 or so years, I recently emailed the winner of the item (ebay) and they never emailed back. I look every day for this item and hope some day to add it to my player collection, I have his game helmet from VT, so the jersey would be a great addition.

towne63
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Finally I've found my grail...just acquired a 1963 NY Mets (McAuliffe tagged/KM Pro stamped) cap!

towne63
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Finally I've found my grail...just acquired a 1963 NY Mets (McAuliffe tagged/KM Pro stamped) cap!

Game used #34 attributed to Jimmy Piersall in his one season (1963) with the Mets

Tallyman77
04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
WAY TO GO! I know you have been wanting that one for a long time.

-Walt

Tallyman77

Evergreen7777@@att.net

towne63
04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks Walt....and I appreciate all your help
~Paul

OaklandAsFan
04-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't necessarily know if you can call it a "holy grail" for me but I REALLY want to get Mike Smith's goalie mask from this season for the Phoenix Coyotes. He has played amazing well (dare I say outplayed Ilya Bryzgalov) but I spoke with him today and he keeps all his masks so that is one "grail" that I most likely will never get.

gorilla777
04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
One for me would be the bat that Johnny Bench used throughout the epic '75 World Series. And a friend of mine, who lives 20 minutes away, actually owns it. Unfortunately it is the item that he says he would keep if he had to sell off 99% of the rest of his collection.
Oh well....

Ben

marzomarz
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM
GU Dale Murphy Jersey. Probably not as unattainable as some things out there.

project 4
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
I haven't ever seen a Kevin Kolb game used University of Houston jersey. Being sort of new and not knowing where to look for it may attribute to that.:D In any case if anyone knows where I can get one there's a finders fee involved.

yankees159
08-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Wow, just found my Holy Grail a Graig Nettles Game Used glove, comes with an LOA from a Yankees Former Trainer from. I believe it was to used in 78 or 79. Denny Eskin gave it his approval. Never thought I'd find this.

AM
08-26-2016, 11:28 AM
I have grails
and I have found or at least have a connect to some, but nobody is budging

Darryl Strawberry fielding glove
Don Mattingly 1B Mitt
Mark Kotsay fielding glove
Jim Edmonds fielding glove

if anybody knows or has, please contact me !

cjmezz
08-26-2016, 01:30 PM
No...mine is a Biggio MLB certified post 3,000 hit ball. I've never seen one available :(

3arod13
08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
I have always wondered, how does one determine what is their holy grail?

KGoldin
08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
FIND and 'be able to AFFORD'
2 different things
YES
and MAYBE

mad87man
08-26-2016, 03:57 PM
I have always wondered, how does one determine what is their holy grail?

I would say whatever that one item you always wanted or look for. for me it is Muhammad Wilkerson's 9/11 jersey. It was his first pro game and i know they sold it but i didn't get it then. I have seen the guy who won it it but can't find his contact info. He is the one player i enjoy collecting so i would say that would be mine. I guess it depends what you collect.

Popinjaysnamesir
08-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Great thread. I really enjoyed reading.

I dunno if I'd call it a "holy grail," but the highest regarded grail by me is a Home Run Derby ball from Evan Longoria. One was on eBay a few years ago and I missed it. I would hope one would be available again soon, but I've exhausted my knowledge until one pops up again.

I'm also on the lookout for a game used bat from Steven Souza Jr's time with the Washington Nationals.

Buccaneer Madden
08-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Game used Lee Roy Selmon helmet.... Nope, I'm never finding one of those. :(

Juicyfruit66
08-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Mine is. Lame, goes for not much money but. Just haven't been able to find a sean berry montreal expos bat to complete my 94 expos collection. One sold on ebay for like 30 bucks a couple years ago right when I began collecting and I haven't seen one since

Sioux4Ever
08-27-2016, 01:44 AM
I recently found mine but like many of you it will forever be unattainable. It's a Chris Herrmann game used glove. Chris gifted it to the bass player of a band as a thank you for getting him and his wife backstage at a concert. I reached out to the individual but he said he can't sell or get rid of gifts. Unfortunate as that baby belongs in my PC!!! LOL oh well someday one will come along

AM
08-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Juicy,

Interested in a Mitch Webster game used fielding glove or a Grady Sizemore issued glove ?

Mine is. Lame, goes for not much money but. Just haven't been able to find a sean berry montreal expos bat to complete my 94 expos collection. One sold on ebay for like 30 bucks a couple years ago right when I began collecting and I haven't seen one since

Juicyfruit66
08-28-2016, 03:13 AM
Juicy,

Interested in a Mitch Webster game used fielding glove or a Grady Sizemore issued glove ?

Can you email details of the webster to rcmp6@hotmail.com?

AM
08-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Email sent.

AM
08-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Got a bounce back

Let me know if you didn't get the email

AM
08-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Who has an Andy Van Slyke fielding glove ???

bigben7
08-28-2016, 09:30 AM
I used to collect Andy Van Slyke game used items. I have never seen a glove. I used to have 3 jersey's. I only kept his game used autograph Pirates cap which came directly from the Pirates.

AM
08-28-2016, 10:52 AM
There was a glove on eBay in last two-three years if memory serves, but I missed it.

One was auctioned through AMI about a decade ago, too. May have been the same glove making the rounds.

Juicyfruit66
08-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Got a bounce back

Let me know if you didn't get the email

Nothing, it's rcmp69@hotmail.com or give me urs I can send u one

HawaiiSportsNut
08-29-2016, 04:01 AM
I have 2 Kurt Suzuki items that I really would like to find. The first is a Washington Nationals game used bat. He wasn't with the Nationals too long so items are hard to find. The second is a nice game used catchers mitt. I was offered one a year ago but the condition was not worth the price. There are a few other Suzuki items that I need but those are my top two.

AM
08-29-2016, 04:40 AM
The "9" was missing.

Re-sent.

Nothing, it's rcmp69@hotmail.com or give me urs I can send u one

TBM
08-29-2016, 07:23 AM
I have recently accuired one one my white whales and hope to be posting about it soon. So next on my list would be Bo Jackson game used anything. Baseball or football. Would love to have a jersey from both, a bat and football helmet are topps on my list though. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford any of it.

Realistically though, a Royals game used glove and preferably one that I could photomatch, then a pair of game used cleats with good wear and dirt on them.

64SHEA
08-30-2016, 12:55 AM
FIND and 'be able to AFFORD'
2 different things
YES
and MAYBE

I was thinking the same thing. I have nearly every type of David Wright item you can get except for a home run ball and a fielding glove. I have seen someone selling a glove, but couldn't afford it. Hoping to see it for sale again when I am older and much richer:D

3arod13
08-30-2016, 06:03 AM
I recently obtained my Holy Grail, which I never imagined I would. Directly from the player, a Game Used Fielding Glove. I consider that my holy grail, as a player fielding glove is the most toughest item to get.

joecoco
08-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Congrats Tony! It is always special getting it directly from the player!
I guess with persistence, luck and cash almost anything is possible. My most prized collectible is my 86 Finals Larry Bird sneakers. I NEVER thought I would come across them and am blessed to be in the position to get them.
This is a great thread guys!

sorklora
08-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I recently obtained my Holy Grail, which I never imagined I would. Directly from the player, a Game Used Fielding Glove. I consider that my holy grail, as a player fielding glove is the most toughest item to get.

So was it from A-Rod or whose glove was it?

Whammons1
08-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Peyton Manning Game Used Tennessee Jersey.

I have never seen 1 for sale.

#2 would be a Michael Jordan Game Used UNC jersey.

miracleonice80
08-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Great feed, guys.......my holy grail is a game worn 1960's Oakland Raiders helmet.....also, a 1960's Baltimore Colts game used helmet. I have the sideline capes for these era's for these teams, and now looking for the matching era helmets. Thanks......the Pristine Auction Stabler helmet from the late '60's was awesome......just got too high up for me to bid any higher......so close!

3arod13
08-30-2016, 05:35 PM
So was it from A-Rod or whose glove was it?

Yes

danesei@yahoo.com
09-02-2016, 06:24 AM
Mine is Larry Walker's #55 Expos jersey from 1989 Spring Training, so I'm guessing no.

Arsenal83
09-03-2016, 05:31 PM
I've been looking for a '79 and '86 Brian Downing home Angels jersey to go with my bats from those years. Haven't had any luck.

yankees159
09-05-2016, 09:53 AM
I collect Graig Nettles items and recently met him randomly at a hotel bar, that same night I found a Nettles Game Used glove. That has been my holy grail for the past 20 years.

Pretty crazy events in 24 hours.

ARCHIVE85
09-14-2016, 08:33 AM
For baseball, mine would be a 1988 or 1989 Glenn Hubbard Oakland A's jersey.

I'd love to get ahold of both the home white & grey road, but I've been looking for almost 20 years & have never seen either.

Obviously the obscurity of the item is the issue, rather than the value. I can't imagine anyone would be willing to pay more than I would, as I've picked up some Braves Hubbard jerseys at very reasonable cost. But I also imagine whoever owns it (if it's out there) isn't aware that there's a collector out there who's specifically looking for it above all others ha.

Related, but not a gamer: a few years ago a series of painted portraits of the 1982 Braves (supposedly gifts to the team at the end of that season) showed up at the National Sports Collectors Convention, and one was of Hubbard. I only saw photos online & there was no info about who the dealer was. I'd love to get my hands on that as well.

Tay1038
09-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Fun topic.

Fortunately enough a few of my holy grails have been found, but the timing and pricing has never been right for me or I missed the opportunity and never saw it.

Found and sold on the public market include:

Willie Mays 1951 Minneapolis Millers -- most recently 2014
Ted Williams 1938 Game Used Bat -- most recently 2015
Carl Yastrzemski 1960 Game Used Bat -- most recently this year

The one I am hoping will one day surface is Ted Williams 1938 Minneapolis Millers Jersey. It would be neat just to see it. Not sure if I could ever afford it.

eric.marshall16
09-14-2016, 08:56 PM
I got mine on Opening Day 2016 at the Minnesota Twins game. I got it in the most unlikeliest of places. A $150 grab bag bat tube. I PC Aaron Hicks and been asking about Hicks game used bats. I was told that there was indeed a Hicks bat in the tubes. So I went for one and picked tube 15 out of the 30 tubes. I was expecting a crap bat in the tube like most grab bags produce. It was a Hicks bat. Unbroken! AUTOGRAPHED!! Then I looked up the MLB code and it was Hicks MLB DEBUT GAME USED BAT!!! :eek: That bat will never leave my collection.