PDA

View Full Version : Cooper bat help

sylbry
06-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if Cooper ever used this label on pro bats. I know this is the model Paul Molitor used but I have never seen this label before.

sylbry
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
FYI - for all of those interested in this Cooper label.

As luck would have it Paul Molitor was attending the Twins autograph party this past Saturday at the Metrodome. I brought along the picture I posted of the bat in order to show him and ask him directly if he ever used that bat. I first asked him if he used Cooper bats when he first joined the Twins. He said yes but quickly switched back to Louisville Slugger. Then I showed him the picture and asked him if he used this bat. He said, "yes it looks like a bat I used." Then I pointed to the Cooper logo and asked "did it look like that." He said definitively, "Yes. I used that bat." (On a side note I confirmed the weight and length of this bat is consistent with the weight and length Molitor ordered from Louisville Slugger thanks to Mike Specht.)

So there you have it. That style Cooper logo bat was meant for game use. I spent hours looking at Getty Images, Corbis, past ebay auction, and past auction house auctions and only came up with one other Cooper bat with that logo. That was an unused Sandy Alomar Jr bat.

In a different thread from 3/19/2006, Mike Specht mentions Cooper stopped making pro model bats in 1996 after the baseball brand name was sold in order for Cooper to focus on the manufacturing of hockey sticks. I saw past auction bats from as late as 1995 with the familiar Cooper logo with the oval around the name. Paul joined the Twins in 1996 where he wore #4. Paul wore #19 in Toronto from 1993 to 1995. The number 4 is written on the knob of this particular Cooper bat.

Just thought I would share my finding in hopes that it may help others in the future if they ever come across Cooper bats with that particular style logo.

Bryan

BULBUS
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Bryan,
I know you found your answer, but I came accross this bat on Steiner's website. It has the same label.