PDA

View Full Version : D'backs Out Grimsley

mphcollectibles
06-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Another one bites the dust.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-diamondbacks-grimsley&prov=ap&type=lgns

hblakewolf
06-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Forum readers-
Back in 1991, I obtained 2 game worn batting helmets from my Phillies contact. What made these so rare (as I later found out) was the fact that they had the American/Canadian flag sticker on the back in honor of our troops in the Desert Storm War. To this day, I have never seen another Phillies helmet surface with these stickers still intact, as the team removed them for continued wear in 1992's spring training. It was quite a thrill when I met each player later in his career and had him sign them. Dave Hollins was a very difficult player to get to sign his 1991 helmet, however, I was much luckier with my other helmet. Jason Grimsley was extremely nice and had a good laugh when he saw it. What was odd is when he indicated he had a pen to autograph it with, he reached inside his jacket and grabbed a syringe, not a pen! Just kidding. He was extremely nice, and one of the better experiences I have had getting my Phillies helmets and hats signed over the last 20 years.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

mr.miracle
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Howard:

What made Hollins so tough? Was he just a jerk about signing the helmet or did you have difficulty tracking him down or something else

Brett