PDA

View Full Version : MEARS: Comparing Evaluation/Authentication Services... A Suggested Check-List

trsent
06-07-2006, 12:45 PM
From the MEARS web site, posted June 5th, 2006 by Dave Grob:

We have just passed the one year mark as MEARS as an organization. Although MEARS On-Line was not launched until August of 2005, I would like to offer both some reflections as well as something you might find useful in deciding who to select for your evaluation needs. Back when I was participating in the original Game Used Forum, I spent a great deal of time reading posts and communicating with collectors either on the board or privately as I was looking to establish both the internal and external operating procedures for MEARS. My focus then and now was on collector feedback as you are the driving force in the hobby. Without collectors, who would dealers sell to? Without collectors, where would the consignments to auction houses come from and who would be buying them.

In the course of my observations and conversations with collectors, there appeared to be six (6) areas of the concern on things they felt where most important. These “Big Six” where useful to me then and are likely useful to you today as well. As you talk among each other, I would offer these as a point of departure for debating or evaluating the particular merits of one evaluation origination over another.

(Alphabetic Order)

100% Authentic

GLOBAL

GREY Flannel

MEARS

PSA/DNA

1. Accuracy: Track record on being right or wrong.

2. Thoroughness: What does the letter say or show. Is it just a description of the item, or can you see for yourself why the item is or is not what it is being represented to be. This category could also include a demonstrated commitment to continued research and self-education.

3. Public Availability: How accessible are they with respect to opinions, business practices, and policies and procedures.

4. Ethical Business Practices: Disclosure, Conflicts of Interest and the nature of the relationship they have with the Auction Houses they support.

5. Customer Service: Time, Speed, and Communication.

6. Collector Protection: Buy Back Policy or fiscal recourse for the collector when the opinion is found to be in error.

While I would never prentend to speak for these other organizations, I am always interested in your continued feedback on MEARS with respect to these areas.

Dave Grob

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426247/message/1149510050/Comparing+Evaluation-Authentication+Services...+A+Suggested+Check-List