PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi

yanks12025
10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Is the worst manager right now in the playoffs. Anyone who watched the yankees game today knows what im talking about. The guy should just be fired tonight.

Rboitano
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree.

yanks12025
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
This game could not make the yankees loose this series.

suave1477
10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Is the worst manager right now in the playoffs. Anyone who watched the yankees game today knows what im talking about. The guy should just be fired tonight.

I SECOND THIS MOTION

WHERE IS GEORGE WHEN YOU NEED HIM TO FIRE A MANAGER????:mad:

suave1477
10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
This game could not make the yankees loose this series.

Yanks thats what they said in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS

schubert1970
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I totally agree, why the hell did he bring in Aceves? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

yanks12025
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry,
The sentence should read

"This game could make the yankees loose the series" don't know why i put not in there.

suave1477
10-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I totally agree, why the hell did he bring in Aceves? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aceves was the icing on the cake. I am so angry right now.

Why did he have Gardner steal??? The Angels would be looking for that.
Why did he have Hairston pinch hit with 2 outs??
Why did he have Hairston take the OF???
Why did he have Cervelli bunt, than have him pinch hit with 2 outs???
Why did he take out Robertson and put in Aceves??

Girardi gave away this game!!!

yanks12025
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Aceves was the icing on the cake. I am so angry right now.

Why did he have Gardner steal??? The Angels would be looking for that.
Why did he have Hairston pinch hit with 2 outs??
Why did he have Hairston take the OF???
Why did he have Cervelli bunt, than have him pinch hit with 2 outs???
Why did he take out Robertson and put in Aceves??

Girardi gave away this game!!!

I agree with you on everything.

skyking26
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Nobody mentions Joba Chamberlain here.... In my mind the game went to hell when they handed him the ball................

BULBUS
10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
He has no clue how to manage a bullpen! Why would he take out a righty (who has been pitching great) with 2 outs to bring in a righty (who has been struggling)?????????:confused: :mad:

LastingsMilledge85
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
He didn't have A-Rod to bail him out again, but boy the NY fans are quick to make an opinion.:eek:

flaco1801
10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
awful job of managing... i would have let riviera hit and pitch 1 more inning.. he had 1 pitcher left had the game gone on...amazing with a staff of 12? he burned the dh and he would have pitchers hit anyway...like i always said, even the torre years many could manage that team with all the talent they buy... i think jeter is one of the best clutch players i ever saw, he simply is a great ball player first ballot hall of famer... just a class ball player...

suave1477
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Nobody mentions Joba Chamberlain here.... In my mind the game went to hell when they handed him the ball................

Skyking you know what your right I did forget to mention Joba, Girardi made so many mistakes this game I actually lost count lol lol

To Lastings as far as I am concerned I am not making a quick opinion I am calling it as I see it which is how he played the game. Which were obvious wrong choices. Not to mention I particular was never a happy camper with the way Girardi managed the team through out the regular season.

He made obvious bad choice's through out the season. We probably would of had another 10 games or more in the wins column if it wasn't for Girardi.

Now you may say no big deal we still won games and were still a strong enough team. But in my mind he has turned easy no brainer wins, into 9th inning struggles.

Case in point this game, which we did not end up being the victor!!

LastingsMilledge85
10-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, unfortunately if you're a Yankee (which is unfortunate enough:D ) Girardi will be back at least another season regardless. Should of stuck with the other Joe, but that's the Steinbrenner's and the back stabbing organization. In the end, the Yanks will end up in the World Series, but it will be no easy task for Girardi if they want to beat the Phillies who are playing near perfect baseball like last postseason (I smell repeat, unfortunately).

Rob L
10-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Look, stop whining. The Yanks will be ok. We Angels fans just got lucky today when they brought in Fuentes. By far the worst closer in baseball. I unfortunately still think the Yanks will take the Angels.

xpress34
10-20-2009, 07:02 AM
You know, I don't usually post negative comments here, but I have to agree - stop your whining!!!

Based on what all of the 'so called' Yankees fans are bitching about here, every manager that calls a bad game should be FIRED.

Not like Girardi got the Yankees to the Post Season or anything... oh wait, that's right, HE DID.

I guess the Rockies should can Jim Tracy too??? He only turned the franchise around and got them to the Post Season, but because of some bad calls by him (I can name them if you want) the Rox made a quick exit, so yeah, he should be fired too.

If the Dodgers fall to the Phils, let's can Torre, the Cards should can LaRussa since they lost to the Dodgers, the Red Sox should can Francona, etc, etc... and whoever loses the WS should can their manager as well?!?!:confused:

What a freakin' bunch of Prima Donnas!!! It's because of so called 'fans' like you guys that I can't stand the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc - big market, big money teams that act like they are above everyone else.

I'm sure I'll get hell for my post, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

- Chris

xpress34
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Oh, and one more thing - the Manager (Girardi or whoever) generally make their choices based on the numbers and such at their disposal...

Ultimately, it's the PLAYERS who are making MULTI MILLIONS who are to blame for under performing...

Do you Yankees fans want to jettison Joba and every other player who didn't perform??? I'm sure not...

Just like for the Rockies - who had games 3 and 4 at Coors Field... BOTH of those games were BLOWN by Huston Street in the bottom of the 9th... but I guarantee you the Rockies 'nation' will want Street and Tracy back next year...

- Chris

skyking26
10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Oh, and one more thing - the Manager (Girardi or whoever) generally make their choices based on the numbers and such at their disposal...

Ultimately, it's the PLAYERS who are making MULTI MILLIONS who are to blame for under performing...

Do you Yankees fans want to jettison Joba and every other player who didn't perform??? I'm sure not...

Just like for the Rockies - who had games 3 and 4 at Coors Field... BOTH of those games were BLOWN by Huston Street in the bottom of the 9th... but I guarantee you the Rockies 'nation' will want Street and Tracy back next year...

- Chris
Express has points here. Mgrs are to blame of course (I blame LeLand much for the 09 collapse @ Det); but the players failures are most to blame here. Joba started the decent and it went from there, but so far I've heard just about every other name spoken...

karamaxjoe
10-20-2009, 07:25 AM
You know, I don't usually post negative comments here, but I have to agree - stop your whining!!!

Based on what all of the 'so called' Yankees fans are bitching about here, every manager that calls a bad game should be FIRED.

Not like Girardi got the Yankees to the Post Season or anything... oh wait, that's right, HE DID.

I guess the Rockies should can Jim Tracy too??? He only turned the franchise around and got them to the Post Season, but because of some bad calls by him (I can name them if you want) the Rox made a quick exit, so yeah, he should be fired too.

If the Dodgers fall to the Phils, let's can Torre, the Cards should can LaRussa since they lost to the Dodgers, the Red Sox should can Francona, etc, etc... and whoever loses the WS should can their manager as well?!?!:confused:

What a freakin' bunch of Prima Donnas!!! It's because of so called 'fans' like you guys that I can't stand the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc - big market, big money teams that act like they are above everyone else.

I'm sure I'll get hell for my post, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

- Chris

Nice post Chris. I couldn't have said it better. Game four should be a lot of fun!

cjclong
10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
First, I think Girardi made a mistake bringing in Aceves and even in the games he won I have wondered about letting a reliever who seems to be throwing well pitch to only one or two batters. That said, its funny how New York fans, and I am one, say the sky is falling whenever anything goes wrong. As just one example look at all the comments from the fans about how Mariano Rivera was finished when he got off to slow starts the last couple of years. We blame the manager, and correctly when some move goes wrong. But again, the players have to produce. Girardi went out and talked to Pettite before Vlad hit the home run. I wasn't on the mound, but I'm sure he stressed to Pettite not to make a bad pitch, which Pettite promptly did. No home run and Yankees probably win.

suave1477
10-20-2009, 08:45 AM
XPRESS you have all valid points.

The only problem is you mention Girardi got us to the Post Season. Actually no he didn't, the players did. If anything as I mentioned before Girardi made it harder to get to the post season.

As I mentioned would probably could of easily had another 10 wins if not more in the wins column if not for Girardi.

No I am not syaing to fire every manager who makes a bad decsion or losses a game or loses a WS.
But when your not only playing the opposing but your own manager for the bad calls he is making consistantly, it starts to wear on your nerves.

To be honest with you, you even mentioned some of my favorite managers that I would take any day over Girardi.
Scoscia, Torre, Leyland, Larussa, Maddon. All these guys have made bad mistakes at some point but it's a matter of how you come back from those mistakes.

Girardi doesn't.

For example
If we are playing a team that is a no brainer win for the Yankees and we should be blowing them out 10 - 2.
Girardi because of bad descisions will have it at a 2 - 2 game going into the 9th and we may get lucky and get the win in the 10th or 11th.

Sure we won the game, but it hurts the team in many ways. You burn through your bullpen, You lose the morale of the players, The players may lose trust in the manager and not to mention the players them selves get tired for constantly playing into extra innings.

So you can all say I am whining, but it gets nerve wrecking when you have a win or an easy win in front of you and your manager is turning it into a struggle and a potential loss.

yanks12025
10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Anyone think they will sit Nick swisher tonight, he is bad. Could not even hit a fly ball to score a run instead strikesout every bat almost.

Vintagedeputy
10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
If they Yankees had won, peopke would have said that Joe was a genius.

He went with the scouting report. No fault there. Its not like when Grady Little asked Pedro how he was feeling!

larry bourget
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I would have had Eric Hinske on the Roster, ....Hits with Power, can play 1st, 3rd, OF, DH, and has suprising speed for his size.,..... and left Gardner,Hairston, or Guzman off,......i think Hinske looks a lot better than Melky right now also.

I think this Chess match series will come down to a Homer Series, Last Raps Win.

LB

cjclong
10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Suave, please explain how Girardi keeps the Yankees from scoring runs in a game they ought to win 10-2 when they are actually tied 2-2. The only way I can see that happening would be constantly trying to steal bases and being thrown out or keeping the hitters on the take sign all game. Where I hear mangers being criticized for losing games it is usually in the handling of the pitching as happened yesterday in the 11th. A manager might make a few decisions regarding the offense as to whether to sacrifice or start a runner, but there aren't that many. For the most part hitting is hitting . The player either does or he doesn't. I know your example was an exaggeration, but how is Girardi keeping the Yankees from scoring a ton or runs.

suave1477
10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Suave, please explain how Girardi keeps the Yankees from scoring runs in a game they ought to win 10-2 when they are actually tied 2-2. The only way I can see that happening would be constantly trying to steal bases and being thrown out or keeping the hitters on the take sign all game. Where I hear mangers being criticized for losing games it is usually in the handling of the pitching as happened yesterday in the 11th. A manager might make a few decisions regarding the offense as to whether to sacrifice or start a runner, but there aren't that many. For the most part hitting is hitting . The player either does or he doesn't. I know your example was an exaggeration, but how is Girardi keeping the Yankees from scoring a ton or runs.

As you said I was exaggerating to make a point. As far as the managers input is more involved into the pitching than hitting your right but remember there is a 162 games so where he may have bad input on pitching in lets say 20 games which is not much compared to a season, it is enough. Let's say for hitting purposes he gives bad input to 5 to 10 games. That is not alot but it all adds up.

As far as Girardi's effect on the hitting, there was plenty of times when games were close that could of been blown open and instead of Girardi putting in a more likely hitter, he sticks in a Hairston, a Gardner, or someone with a lesser chance of making a difference in that moment.

Or when a hitter she go balls out and hit, he makes them bunt or vice versa.

You say well he is going according to the stat book, that is all fine and dandy but sometimes you have to play the odds, sometimes you have to play who is hot. sometimes you have to play on gut feeling.
Which is what makes you a great Manager.
Personally I think 2 managers who are good with instinct and gut feeling is Scoscia and Francona, yes Francona uses a Math Anlayst but he himself has said he goes against even the Analyst sometimes with his gut feeling.

Girardi doesn't seem to have that or the common sense for instinct.

This is just my opinion as everyone here is welcome to there own. I am just responding on a question asked to me.

(Prime example - Last nights game as I mentioned before with Gardner. If you want to put Gardner in and take Hideki out ok fine I can live with that. But having Gardner steal was dumb. We were down one run and your trying to get a runner over so your putting your fastest or most publicized fasted guy on base. (DING DONG ANYONE HOME???) The Angels know this and expect it is utmost certain Gardner is going to try to steal. So they pay very little attention to Posada to pitch too and pitch out to nail Gardner. Did they do just that? YEP. I saw it coming from a mile away. The smarter thing would of been to put Gardner in to keep the pitcher on his toes/distracted to Gardner might try to steal. But don't let Gardner steal. Posada hits Home Run game over Yankees win!!)

PwKw13
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't understand how some Yankee fans can't enjoy the great season that the team is having this year. So many great performances and walk off wins. As a Met fan it baffles me -- I would have loved to have seen this kind of baseball all year (I would love to have my team still playing at this time of year!).

BULBUS
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
(Prime example - Last nights game as I mentioned before with Gardner. If you want to put Gardner in and take Hideki out ok fine I can live with that. But having Gardner steal was dumb. We were down one run and your trying to get a runner over so your putting your fastest or most publicized fasted guy on base. (DING DONG ANYONE HOME???) The Angels know this and expect it is utmost certain Gardner is going to try to steal. So they pay very little attention to Posada to pitch too and pitch out to nail Gardner. Did they do just that? YEP. I saw it coming from a mile away. The smarter thing would of been to put Gardner in to keep the pitcher on his toes/distracted to Gardner might try to steal. But don't let Gardner steal. Posada hits Home Run game over Yankees win!!)

It was dumb for Gardner to try and steal when Jorge was down in the count and the Angels could waste a pitch on a pitch-out.

As with all sports, the manager if the first to be blamed, but it is the players responsibility to produce. Swisher had a runner on third with one out TWICE and failed to get him in. Melky aslo failed to get a hit twice with that runner on third. Yankees definitely wasted an oportunity. Hopefully CC can come up big tonight on 3 days rest.

BULBUS
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't understand how some Yankee fans can't enjoy the great season that the team is having this year. So many great performances and walk off wins. As a Met fan it baffles me -- I would have loved to have seen this kind of baseball all year (I would love to have my team still playing at this time of year!).

I thoroughly enjoyed the season and am still enjoying. I think people are just playing monday morning qb, thinking what could have been.

After the last few years, especially '04, and their history against the Angels, Yankee fans are a little worried. But this team is different, they have a different feel. I think they will get the job done this year :D

Ollie
10-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Totally with you here Suave. I do wonder if our Yanks would have made the Post Season no matter who was managing, our team (After A-Rod came back) was so strong.

Joe frustrates me most in that sometimes his handing of the bullpen is fantastic, almost better then Mr T's then other times like last night you wonder if he just has a chimp on his shoulder who tells him what to do. I don't like the way he sometimes brings Mo in for a four out save when Hughes is doing a good job and we have seen once or twice that go wrong.

If we had won the game yesterday with Aceves pitching, great there would be some questions as to why he didn't just let Robertson pitch but we move on to the next game. But it blew up in his face and you could see by his reactions in the dugout that after the opening double, maybe this wasn't such a great idea.

I am biased, I didn't want Joe to manage from the beginning of 08 but I will begrudgingly admit he does have tendencies to be a good manager, he just blows it with decisions like this. I still think we will win the World Series though!

As you said I was exaggerating to make a point. As far as the managers input is more involved into the pitching than hitting your right but remember there is a 162 games so where he may have bad input on pitching in lets say 20 games which is not much compared to a season, it is enough. Let's say for hitting purposes he gives bad input to 5 to 10 games. That is not alot but it all adds up.

As far as Girardi's effect on the hitting, there was plenty of times when games were close that could of been blown open and instead of Girardi putting in a more likely hitter, he sticks in a Hairston, a Gardner, or someone with a lesser chance of making a difference in that moment.

Or when a hitter she go balls out and hit, he makes them bunt or vice versa.

You say well he is going according to the stat book, that is all fine and dandy but sometimes you have to play the odds, sometimes you have to play who is hot. sometimes you have to play on gut feeling.
Which is what makes you a great Manager.
Personally I think 2 managers who are good with instinct and gut feeling is Scoscia and Francona, yes Francona uses a Math Anlayst but he himself has said he goes against even the Analyst sometimes with his gut feeling.

Girardi doesn't seem to have that or the common sense for instinct.

This is just my opinion as everyone here is welcome to there own. I am just responding on a question asked to me.

bigtime59
10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Any fan of any MLB team not named the Yankee$ would love to be the recipient of the gift that keeps on giving: the sports' absurd revenue distribution rules.
Everybody out there who wouldn't have been happy if their team had been able to drop almost half a billion dollars on free agents this off season, raise your hand! Anybody...anybody?
That's what I thought.
Yankee$ fans really, really need to get some sense of humility about themselves. Do Globetrotters fans walk around with a giant boner because they beat the Washington Generals again? No, they do not.
Yankee$ fans, however...

joelsabi
10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Any fan of any MLB team not named the Yankee$ would love to be the recipient of the gift that keeps on giving: the sports' absurd revenue distribution rules.
Everybody out there who wouldn't have been happy if their team had been able to drop almost half a billion dollars on free agents this off season, raise your hand! Anybody...anybody?
That's what I thought.
Yankee$ fans really, really need to get some sense of humility about themselves. Do Globetrotters fans walk around with a giant boner because they beat the Washington Generals again? No, they do not.
Yankee$ fans, however...

The Angels are no Washington Generals for the Yankees.

Remember the Lakers with the lineup with a starting lineup including Shaq, Kobe, Payton, The Mailman? Thats a team with a salary cap and they didnt win it all. so even if there was a salary cap there is no guarantee of a championship because they still need to play the game. Even if there was a salary cap, players will still want to play for the Yankees because of its storied past just like basketball players want to play for the Celtics or the Lakers.

xpress34
10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
XPRESS you have all valid points.

The only problem is you mention Girardi got us to the Post Season. Actually no he didn't, the players did. If anything as I mentioned before Girardi made it harder to get to the post season.

Suave -

I actually like trading barbs with you because they are usually well thought out debates, but your comment above illustrates my point.

If you claim that the PLAYERS got them to the Post Season, then the PLAYERS should be held accountable for both Wins and Losses in the Post Season as well.

You can't have it both ways and only blame one part of the equation for losses while lauding the other part for all of the wins.

Every manager makes good and bad decisions (Regular and Post Season) and every player has streaks and slumps (Regular and Post Season).

Bottom line, is you Win as TEAM or you Lose as a TEAM. Once you start the finger pointing, you might as well pack it in.

- Chris

bigtime59
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
The Angels are no Washington Generals for the Yankees.

Remember the Lakers with the lineup with a starting lineup including Shaq, Kobe, Payton, The Mailman? Thats a team with a salary cap and they didnt win it all. so even if there was a salary cap there is no guarantee of a championship because they still need to play the game. Even if there was a salary cap, players will still want to play for the Yankees because of its storied past just like basketball players want to play for the Celtics or the Lakers.

I do not, repeat do not advocate for a salary cap. I do, however advocate--in the strongest terms possible--for vastly enhanced revenue sharing. I'm sick of the Yankee$ opening up their wallet every off season and buying the AL East. It sucks, it's boring and it's eventually going to kill baseball.
The playoffs being the crapshoot that they are helps blind most people to the fact that MLB's ridiculous method of (NOT) sharing most revenues equally skews everything about the sport. But the fact remains:MLB's ridiculous method of (NOT) sharing most revenues equally skews everything about the sport. And the Yankee$ are the number one beneficiary of that flawed system.

jetersbatboy
10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Love Girardi or hate him...... I just happy the Yankees are winning:D GO YANKEES!!!!!!!

joelsabi
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I do not, repeat do not advocate for a salary cap. I do, however advocate--in the strongest terms possible--for vastly enhanced revenue sharing. I'm sick of the Yankee$ opening up their wallet every off season and buying the AL East. It sucks, it's boring and it's eventually going to kill baseball.
The playoffs being the crapshoot that they are helps blind most people to the fact that MLB's ridiculous method of (NOT) sharing most revenues equally skews everything about the sport. But the fact remains:MLB's ridiculous method of (NOT) sharing most revenues equally skews everything about the sport. And the Yankee$ are the number one beneficiary of that flawed system.

the current revenue sharing system gives revenue to big market teams to small market teams correct?

there have been small market teams that have used this money to sign good young players to long term contracts. tampa bay and colorado comes to mind.

others small market teams have done nothing but fatten the linings of the small market team owners. so whose fault is that?

i agree something needs to be changed. why should we reward kansas city with more revenue when they won't invest in players and their fan attendance and allegence is diminishing? some type of audit need to be done to follow the flow of cash in this current system.

xpress34
10-20-2009, 11:31 PM
there have been small market teams that have used this money to sign good young players to long term contracts. tampa bay and colorado comes to mind.

Joel -

My understanding of the Revenue Tax is that the money the teams get is 'supposed' to be ear marked for building the team (NOT Stadium improvements/Luxury Boxes, etc)...

I don't know who told you that the Rockies have used this money to sign talent... their payroll has been around $54m for like the last 5 years... even after the WS year, they did not invest ANY of that money into the team or increase the payroll... the Monforts have been quite clear that this is a BUSINESS to them and they have no intention of selling to an owner who would be more interested in winning a title than the bottom line.

Therefore, if the Rox can get back to the Playoffs again - and if they could make it and win the WS, it would be with one of the tightest payrolls in baseball and would surely be built on solid talent - not rented or mercenary (for hire) talent as they have said flat out for years, they will no longer sign ANY contract with a No-Trade clause of any type which discourages TONS of Free Agents from ever even considering the Rox...

- Chris

joelsabi
10-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Joel -
I don't know who told you that the Rockies have used this money to sign talent... their payroll has been around $54m for like the last 5 years... even after the WS year, they did not invest ANY of that money into the team or increase the payroll... the Monforts have been quite clear that this is a BUSINESS to them and they have no intention of selling to an owner who would be more interested in winning a title than the bottom line.

- Chris

hi chris,

i was refering to the development of their own players such as stewart, tulowitski, young, fowler, gonzalez, and jimenez. tulowitski made only a $1 million last year. Now thats a bargain. granted the rockies could not keep matt holiday and were shopping atkins all this year, but they seems to know how to build a team and have a plan.

yanks12025
10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Joe just proved us again why he sucks as a manager win or lose this game.

joelsabi
10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
in the last game, why did Girardi pull ARod after being intentionally walked and then procees to not attempt a steal? might as well have kept him in.

JimCaravello
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Pulling Arod and bringing Guzman in had to be one of the worst managerial moves in a game I have ever seen - regular season or post season - period.

Everyone has been talking about some of the questionable moves he made with the pitching staff - but the Arod pull was just flat out stupid.

The way the games have been so close - what if we had tied that game that inning? You then have your best hitter and one of the best gloves ( on a corner ) on the bench. Arod is not John Kruk folks - he can get around the bases pretty well.....absolutely the worst move I have ever seen in a game. Not too much banter on talk radio about this - a little, but not much. If I was the owner, he would have been gone immediately after that move - no excuses...........Cashman could do a better job than this in the dugout.....