PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever buy from Steiner?

stkmtimo
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't want to exhaust this, but do you ever buy from Steiner Sports? We all agree that their prices on most Yankees-related equipment is outgrageous, but will you purchase from them anyway?

Tim

34swtns
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Their prices overall are outrageous. No, I don't buy from them because even though they have quality stuff for the most part, with a little perseverance you can find comparable, if not identical, items from other sellers for far less money. My opinion.

indyred
06-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Not directley. Can usually find people reselling stuff they bought from Steiner for much better prices. If they had something I really wanted bad. I guess I would. Somebody must be buying there stuff, just can't find people to admit it. Atleast you know it's the real deal with there paperwork, never heard of Steiner fake holograms/coa's.....They have been around awhile and seem to be getting bigger.......

JETEFAN
06-05-2006, 08:54 PM
No I don't. I don't think they really know where or if their "game used " stuff is all actually ued in a game or used in BP, cages etc. When asked their answer is always the same, "we were told it was". I think with their prices, who, what, where and when is in order. If not they are no different than any other legit dealer who say their items are the real deal.
My humble opinion

George

trsent
06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
No I don't. I don't think they really know where or if their "game used " stuff is all actually ued in a game or used in BP, cages etc. When asked their answer is always the same, "we were told it was". I think with their prices, who, what, where and when is in order. If not they are no different than any other legit dealer who say their items are the real deal.
My humble opinion

George

George, their merchandise comes right from the team. Is it priced affordably? Not for most collectors, but they at least know it came right from the team.

As with a debate on another part of this board, batting practice may not constitute game use, but if a player uses an item for BP then puts in in the bat rack later to be sold as game used, no one can know anything more than what the player who provided the item offers. Needless to say, most don't care because they are not worried about us, the generally sports memorabilia public.

skyking26
06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Good example on autographs was a few months back when Kirk Gibson signed balls for them on a Saturday for $135, signed the next day in Detroit area Gibraltar Trade Center for $35. Not all people have an extra $100 to throw away. No, I never buy from them...

trsent
06-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Good example on autographs was a few months back when Kirk Gibson signed balls for them on a Saturday for $135, signed the next day in Detroit area Gibraltar Trade Center for $35. Not all people have an extra $100 to throw away. No, I never buy from them...

Wow, quite a diffrence in price, nice work by Kirk's agent, huh?

pietraynor
06-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I have purchased multiple items from them w/o problems. Jay

BULBUS
06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I have bought over 100 items from Steiner over the last few years, and I have not paid their "retail" price on one of them. Everything i have bought has been from their auctions or specials that they contact me with. There arent as many bargains on their auctions as there used to be, but you can still find a few.

As far as the game used stuff, I agree about them not always knowing who used what and when. They really should do some research on these jerseys that have had number changes and other alterations. Also, players exchange bats all the time. I think sometimes people are buying a bat thinking one player used it when actually it was used by someone else.

s.carter
06-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Not looking to take sides on this but here's a crazy thought, anyone on here ever say anything positive about Steiner? They are the number one company in the industry from all accounts I get, they are getting bigger each day, Yankees/Steiner, Mets/Steiner, I have seen their stuff in catalogs for some of the biggest companies out there like AMEX not to mention they have deals with some of the biggest and best names in sports yet nobody on here ever has anything positive to say. I've had nothing but great dealings with Steiner, they treat me great and I'm far from a big spender, heck they invited me to a party this Friday to meet some of the 86 Mets. How is this possible that nobody has any good feedback on this board? Just a question I had.

JETEFAN
06-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Not looking to take sides on this but here's a crazy thought, anyone on here ever say anything positive about Steiner? They are the number one company in the industry from all accounts I get, they are getting bigger each day, Yankees/Steiner, Mets/Steiner, I have seen their stuff in catalogs for some of the biggest companies out there like AMEX not to mention they have deals with some of the biggest and best names in sports yet nobody on here ever has anything positive to say. I've had nothing but great dealings with Steiner, they treat me great and I'm far from a big spender, heck they invited me to a party this Friday to meet some of the 86 Mets. How is this possible that nobody has any good feedback on this board? Just a question I had.

I think the point being made is that Steiner thru great marketing (inviting people to parties etc.) has tried to make everyone think that only items with their seal is the real deal. The point I was trying to make is that their product knowledge is slim to none! There are tons of items they sell as game used that I am sure would not pass the authentication process as to player characteristics etc. Again who, what, when, where. Steiner has made Yankees items availiable where it was tough to obtain before. But let's not forget "good" Yankees items were availiable B-4 Steiner.

Yankwood
06-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I have never bought anything per se, but I have acquired three items via the auction route. All three items I acquired were below what the normal rate would be. The regular sale prices are way higher than I would pay, however.

skipcareyisfat
06-06-2006, 08:54 AM
I've only bought a couple things from Steiner, but I think they're great. I'd rather pay more for a real item than less for a fake one.

trsent
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
The point was brought up and it is correct, Steiner is a great company to their customers. Since it appears few of their customers are on this forum based on the comments we read here every day, it doesn't mean the company is doing a quality job with what they can offer.

Do they know what they receive from The Yankees all the time? No, but when you are given jerseys with numbers on back and no names, I can see where a mistake can happen from time to time.

Don't fool yourself, The Yankees do not keep the jerseys labeled who they belonged to so when David Wells and Jose Canseco are mixed up it is understandable to some extent.

allstarsplus
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I can only tell you about my own experiences with their wholesale group and they are great! Very coincidental that we are talking about Steiner and the Yankees, as I just got a detailed list this morning of Mike Mussina Yankees inventory and everything was precise as to year it was used/issued and in some cases they list specific dates/series.

Again from my own experience, the dozens of game used baseballs, bases, pitching rubbers, and home plates have all been specifically date marked. The jerseys I have purchased some times are year marked only and not specifically dated.

On the subject of pricing, it is a very subjective call as to what these should be priced at. As outrageous as a Jeter jersey seems at $10,000+, they get those prices.

earlywynnfan
06-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Perhaps my situation sums up this line of thinking: Steiner has great stuff, and if I ever can get something of theirs on the secondary market at a decent price, I will.

Ken

Calrima
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Ken brings up a good point. They do have nice items, but I also would not pay the FULL REATAIL on their site. They have a Roberto Kelly bat for $400 listed. WHEW.

Den
http://hometown.aol.com/calrima/myhomepage/profile.html

stlbats
06-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I was watching Yankees/Steiner Memories of the Game or whatever its called on the YES network the other night, which is a show where they showcase/advertise the memorabilia they sell. Anyway, Brandon Steiner is on there and they had a Mariano Rivera signed game used hat. He was going on about it, and said it costs $5000.

Come on, That price was ridiculous for an Arod hat, much less Rivera.

Jason