PDA

View Full Version : O/T - Anyone From The Cincinnati Area - Looking For Stuff To Do

TriplexXxSports
10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
My wife and I are traveling to Cincinnati for the Bears/Bengals game & to visit some friends. I was looking to see if there's any recommendations of places to stop and check out, i.e. sports shops, restaurants, etc.

Also, if any of you would like to have a beer/soda and shoot the breeze about collecting, give me a shout. It always nice to meet new people.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - Thanks

beantown
10-15-2009, 07:22 AM
My wife and I are traveling to Cincinnati for the Bears/Bengals game & to visit some friends. I was looking to see if there's any recommendations of places to stop and check out, i.e. sports shops, restaurants, etc.

Also, if any of you would like to have a beer/soda and shoot the breeze about collecting, give me a shout. It always nice to meet new people.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - Thanks

I don't know how long you'll be there, but I see that your a football fan and I suggest you take a trip to the Pro Football HOF in Canton....Its probably a 2 hour + drive, but it's well worth it...enjoy the game and as a Steelers fan, go Bears!!!!!

TriplexXxSports
10-15-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't know how long you'll be there, but I see that your a football fan and I suggest you take a trip to the Pro Football HOF in Canton....Its probably a 2 hour + drive, but it's well worth it...enjoy the game and as a Steelers fan, go Bears!!!!!

We will be there early Friday morning until Monday sometime (whenever we feel like getting on the road) Depending on Sunday's outcome, we may 'sleep in' a little longer.

We have enough free time so I will be sure to check into it and run it by the 'boss'.

Thanks

chakes89
10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Canton is 3+ hours away from Cincinnati

And if you are a Reds fan at all, you could go to the Cincinnati Reds HOF and Museum.

tknorm
10-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I guess you're driving vs flying, and will have a car, right? Let me know what kind of food and price range you are interested in and I will float some ideas. Also, what do you like to do-museums, shopping, live music, etc. I will be happy to make some suggestions based on what you are interested in.

Here are a couple of online resources for food and entertainment:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/

There are some other posts in the forum about Sports Investments, which is the best memorabilia display place in town. I have not been there in a few years, but they used to have on display gu jerseys of the entire Big Red Machine starting lineup, Pete Rose's 4192 bat and ball, and several other things. Worth a trip to the suburbs if you have some time.

http://www.sportsinvestments.com/

And yes, Canton is over 3 hrs drive away. Louisville and the Slugger Museum is closer (100 miles.)

The Montgomery Inn is famous for its bbq ribs and has alot of sports memorabilia on display as well, as many celebs and ball players eat there when in town. There are a couple of locations. Here's the link:

http://www.montgomeryinn.com/boathouse/boathouse_home.php

This is a start. I can make other suggestions based on what you are looking for. Hope it helps! We are pretty busy that weekend (wife's work sked and two little kids) but I'll let you know if we have some free time for a meet up and chat.

TriplexXxSports
10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
The Montgomery Inn is slated for dinner our first night. Our friends out there have said that this is a mandatory place to eat while we're there.

After a day of college football, beer, & pizza we are headed over to Vinoklet for a more formal dinner (steak & scotch for me).

Sunday is the Bears game so there is no need for anything other than beer, so dinner options are taken care of.

Sports Investments seems to be up my all so I think I will check that out as well. Thanks for the link.

Money is no problem for us so if there are any other places or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

TriplexXxSports
10-15-2009, 07:56 PM
We are pretty busy that weekend (wife's work sked and two little kids) but I'll let you know if we have some free time for a meet up and chat.

That'd be great. If you get some time let me know.

CUTiger23
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Whenever I am in Cincy, I have to get Skyline (Gold Star can be an acceptable replacement) and Graeter's ice cream. Both are inexpensive, and true Cincinnati.

Jags Fan Dan
10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
The zoo here is nice depending on the weather.

Jags Fan Dan
10-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Also, I've never been there, but Sports Investments is in Montgomery (suburb) and seems to always have interesting stuff on eBay.

jbsportstuff
10-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Another great shop to hit is :

www.diamondsportscompany.com (http://www.diamondsportscompany.com/)
Diamond Sports Company
134 S. Main Street
Monroe Ohio 45050

It is just north of Cincinnati on I75. Give Mark a call. He's a stand up guy and has some great stuff Reds and Bengals stuff.

tknorm
10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Looks like you have a full agenda of good stuff. Yes, Skyline Chilli is a Cincinnati tradition and can be lunch or late night munchies. Grater's Ice Cream is also very good.

For trendy restaurants if you have time, Nada downtown is very popular with very good food and a good bar scene. It is upscale Mexican with flair. Jeff Ruby is the top upscale restauranteur and celeb and ballplayers frequent his places, so his places would be top bets for people watching. Bootsy's Downtown is his newest popular place that has a funky vibe and is worth checking out even for just a drink. Jeff Ruby's steakhouse is also downtown and very good (also $$$) but you might not want that if you are also doing Vinoklet. Other downtown hot spots at night are Cadillac Ranch and Black Finn. all of these are walking distance of each other.

You might also check out an area of town just outside of downtown called Mt. Adams. There are some cool views of the city and river from there, a few restaurants (best Thai in town at Teak) and some bars (Blind Lemon has a great patio and acoustic live music 365 days/yr.) The Art Museum is there and a park with nice views.

Last, Fountain Square is the heart of downtown. There is alot going on there pre-game, so it may be a good bet a couple of hours before the game if the weather is decent.

http://www.myfountainsquare.com/bengals

I'll let you know how our sked plays out. We live not far from Sports Investments, so that might be the easiest place to meet. Hope this info helps!

TriplexXxSports
10-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate it. We will definitely have plenty to do.

TriplexXxSports
10-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Well it is 2:30am Friday, and we are out the door. Thanks to all of your help we have a full agenda. It is very much appreciated and I'll try and get some pics to post when we return - Thanks Again.

TKNORM - YOU HAVE YOUR PM TURNED OFF! I'll have the laptop with me so if you can break free, shoot me an e-mail

tknorm
10-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey tripleX,

I have never figured out the whole PM thing. You can catch me at thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com to compare schedules. Looks like weather sunday is gonna be wonderful for you:-)

Drive safely,

Tommy