PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Ali Used & Bloodied Gloves--HELP!

buc
10-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Need some opinions on the gloves being auctioned off by Vintage Authentics. The auction ends tomorrow night, so if you guys could give me your opinion on the value, I would certainly appreciate it. Does the blood add to the value in your opinion? I'm a huge boxing fan and I don't recall ever seeing Ali actual used stuff being auctioned off (except for robes, but they got out of my price range QUICK,) so this would kind of be a holy grail for me.

staindsox
10-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I am not an expert in collecting fight worn stuff, but would toss out two major questions I would want answered before feeling comfortable enough to even consider bidding:

1) Would he have worn 12 oz gloves...even in sparring? What were regulation gloves when these were supposedly used by Ali? If they were 12s, that would make me feel better. If they were, for example, 16s, I couldn't see a guy sparring with lighter than regulation gloves. Even the speed bag wouldn't make sense. He might not wear any gloves, but if he did, they might be bag gloves.

2) Why is there blood on the gloves? I would have thought he would have wrapped his hands (even for sparring)? He wouldn't even have to intricated wrap his hands like fight night. You can buy reusable cloth wraps.

Also, look at the LOA. They couldn't get Bill Mack to write out a letter because he was out of town, so his son wrote out this letter of provenance? That doesn't make me feel too confident. Also, "to the best of their knowledge" they were worn by Ali. Now that sentiment inspires confidence.

Not sure that helps at all...good luck!

Chris

buc
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
[quote=staindsox;165048]
Also, look at the LOA. They couldn't get Bill Mack to write out a letter because he was out of town, so his son wrote out this letter of provenance? That doesn't make me feel too confident. Also, "to the best of their knowledge" they were worn by Ali. Now that sentiment inspires confidence.

That worried me too. I did call the number listed on the provenance letter and checked out the website. I was told by someone in their office that Bill Mack had (has?) been away to promote his artwork and is doing various exhibits, that he did ask his son to write the letter, and that he would write another letter if I won them, so I'm not too worried about that. Does anyone know what size gloves Ali wore?

staindsox
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I personally would be most concerned with the blood on the inside of the gloves. I don't know why he wouldn't be wearing wraps in training...he definitely would wear wraps in sparring.

hiflyer56
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Boxing-1533/Size-Gloves.htm

Professional boxers use 8 oz. gloves for lighter weight divisions, and 10 oz. gloves for the heavier divisions (so "Rocky" and Muhammad Ali would wear 10 oz. gloves).

If you're considering competition with school-age students, I would recommend using the guidelines for USA Boxing competition. They utilize 10 oz. gloves and 12 oz. gloves. Of course, you'll want to be sure that all the other safety equipment is in place as well, such as groin protectors, fitted mouthpieces, headgear and hand wraps.

Amateur boxing is a safe sport, but unregulated brawls without preparation, safety equipment or supervision can be dangerous and deadly.

buc
10-15-2009, 08:22 AM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Boxing-1533/Size-Gloves.htm

Professional boxers use 8 oz. gloves for lighter weight divisions, and 10 oz. gloves for the heavier divisions (so "Rocky" and Muhammad Ali would wear 10 oz. gloves).

If you're considering competition with school-age students, I would recommend using the guidelines for USA Boxing competition. They utilize 10 oz. gloves and 12 oz. gloves. Of course, you'll want to be sure that all the other safety equipment is in place as well, such as groin protectors, fitted mouthpieces, headgear and hand wraps.

Amateur boxing is a safe sport, but unregulated brawls without preparation, safety equipment or supervision can be dangerous and deadly.

Thanks!