PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Pedro Martinez jersey on American Memorabilia

Oil Can Dan
06-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Are there any Dodger or Pedro fans that may be able to comment on this 1992 Pedro rookie jersey currently on American Memorabilia?

https://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=28138

I am not questioning the authenticity so I did not email the seller. I spent a lot of time on GI, Corbis & everywhere else trying to find pictures from either of Pedro's two games that season (9-24 vs Cin & 9-30 @ Cin) but I've not been able to find anything.

- Did Pedro wear a jersey without a "P." in front of Martinez? As noted on the auction page his brother Ramon was also on the team so it would make sense for Pedro to have the "P", wouldn't it?
- Why is the jersey a "Set 1" while the pants are "Set 2"? I suspect the answer may be that it's a Set 1 because it was late in the season and nobody had worn #45 at that point, thus no need to go into Set 2 (I really have no idea if that's how the various Sets work - seems to make sense to me though).
- Is there some definitive way of knowing if Pedro wore a size 42 that year?
- Is the label consistant with other 1992 Dodger jerseys?
- Generally speaking, how many 1992 Pedro jerseys would have been issued to him as a September callup?

Again, I see no good reason to question the authenticity of this jersey so I want to be sure I'm not coming across as skeptical, it's just that I'm brand new to this hobby so I'm looking for any guidance I can get before I make what would be (for me) a major purchase. Some of the other threads on this great site about the AM items have me a bit skitish.

On a somewhat related topic, I've exhausted myself trying to find a picuture of Pedro batting as an Expo. It seems to me that the Expos' never existed in that there simply aren't many pictures out there, let alone a picture of Pedro batting. Total shot in the dark, but if anyone happens to have a picture that would fit I would really appreciate it if you'd send it along.

Many thanks in advance. Thank God for this website - I'm totally hooked!

Oil Can Dan
06-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Does the complete lack of response mean this jersey is totally legitt or has nobody has ever seen a 1992 Dodgers jersey before? Or is everybody still trying to find a picture of Pedro at-bat as an Expo? :)

Oil Can Dan
06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
One last question here. I just found a card that claims to include a piece of Pedro's "rookie 1992 jersey":

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-Timeless-Treasures-Rookie-Yr-Mat-Pedro-Martinez-10_W0QQitemZ8772460477QQihZ005QQcategoryZ55952QQss PageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So how reputable are these card companies in terms of actually using jersey's from the year they claim to be from? After doing some research I can say with authority that the picture of Pedro on this particular card is from the 1993 season. That doesn't mean the piece of the jersey is from 1993, but you'd think that they'd at least put a picture of Pedro from the 1992 season considering that's the year that's listed on the card, wouldn't you?

Main question is whether or not there should be multiple "game used" jerseys for Pedro's 1992 season. He appeared in only two games, one at home and one on the road. If this card really has a piece of his 1992 home jersey, how can there be a "game used" 1992 home jersey for sale on the American Memorabilia auction right now?

trsent
06-14-2006, 11:41 PM
One last question here. I just found a card that claims to include a piece of Pedro's "rookie 1992 jersey":

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-Timeless-Treasures-Rookie-Yr-Mat-Pedro-Martinez-10_W0QQitemZ8772460477QQihZ005QQcategoryZ55952QQss PageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So how reputable are these card companies in terms of actually using jersey's from the year they claim to be from? After doing some research I can say with authority that the picture of Pedro on this particular card is from the 1993 season. That doesn't mean the piece of the jersey is from 1993, but you'd think that they'd at least put a picture of Pedro from the 1992 season considering that's the year that's listed on the card, wouldn't you?

Main question is whether or not there should be multiple "game used" jerseys for Pedro's 1992 season. He appeared in only two games, one at home and one on the road. If this card really has a piece of his 1992 home jersey, how can there be a "game used" 1992 home jersey for sale on the American Memorabilia auction right now?

The card in the auction has a piece of a blue road jersey, so that is not an issue. There is no reason to believe that Pedro may have worn more than one jersey during the 1992 season. He may have only pitched twice, but that doesn't mean he didn't wear a different jersey in the bullpen or dugout on days he didn't pitch. That would still be constituted as a game used jersey.

Also, trading cards often show a player in one team on the picture of the card, but they game used jersey could have been used in a different team. I believe I have seen Johnny Damon game used cards that show him in a Yankees jersey on the picture, but the jersey is a red colored Red Sox jersey.

The point is that the card could be titled a rookie season card, but the jersey may not be a rookie year jersey. I do not know much about this card but I am just making an observation.

Oil Can Dan
06-15-2006, 08:11 AM
The card in the auction has a piece of a blue road jersey, so that is not an issue. There is no reason to believe that Pedro may have worn more than one jersey during the 1992 season. He may have only pitched twice, but that doesn't mean he didn't wear a different jersey in the bullpen or dugout on days he didn't pitch. That would still be constituted as a game used jersey.

Also, trading cards often show a player in one team on the picture of the card, but they game used jersey could have been used in a different team. I believe I have seen Johnny Damon game used cards that show him in a Yankees jersey on the picture, but the jersey is a red colored Red Sox jersey.

The point is that the card could be titled a rookie season card, but the jersey may not be a rookie year jersey. I do not know much about this card but I am just making an observation.

I hear what you're saying, but the way I see that card is that it's white and includes a piece of the blue 'Dodgers' patch. I'm no Dodgers expert but from what I can tell their 1992 road uniform was a little more grey.

Pedro was called up in late September and again, only pitched in the home white once (9/24) and the road grey once (9/30), so it stands to reason that if the AM jersey is legit & the baseball card jersey is legit, then one of the two only saw time on Pedro's back while seated on a bench. Or, perhaps more likely, the baseball card has a piece of a 1993 Pedro jersey - which if true means the card is messed up as it explicitly states on the back:

The enclosed piece of jersey was cut from an authentic jersey personally worn by Pedro Martinez in an official Major League Baseball game during his rookie season of 1992".

trsent
06-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I hear what you're saying, but the way I see that card is that it's white and includes a piece of the blue 'Dodgers' patch. I'm no Dodgers expert but from what I can tell their 1992 road uniform was a little more grey.

Pedro was called up in late September and again, only pitched in the home white once (9/24) and the road grey once (9/30), so it stands to reason that if the AM jersey is legit & the baseball card jersey is legit, then one of the two only saw time on Pedro's back while seated on a bench. Or, perhaps more likely, the baseball card has a piece of a 1993 Pedro jersey - which if true means the card is messed up as it explicitly states on the back:

The enclosed piece of jersey was cut from an authentic jersey personally worn by Pedro Martinez in an official Major League Baseball game during his rookie season of 1992".

I see the trading card as a blue jersey with part of a white number. I cannot figure out what part of the jersey this would appear on a home white jersey.

DrJ
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't own any Dodger's jerseys, but in my opinion that is a white jersey with part of the the "s" in Dodgers from the front of the jersey on it. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

DrJ
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't own any Dodger's jerseys, but in my opinion that is a white jersey with part of the the "s" in Dodgers from the front of the jersey on it. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

One more thing, I think the jersey piece is upside down and that's why it's hard to tell what it is, but I think it might be from the top part of the "s" in Dodgers.