PDA

View Full Version : No jersey logo on Yankee sleeve

RJB44
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Just curious why the Yankees do not have a jersey logo on the sleeve. Are they the only team that doesn't?

Thanks

metsbats
10-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Steinbrenner prohibits corporate logos or advertising on the Yankee jerseys therefore Yankee jerseys never had any manufacturer labels on the sleeves of their jerseys. It gets into the way of the pride and tradition and more importantly they don't get any $$ from it.

sox83cubs84
10-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Game jerseys have never had the supplier logo on the sleeve. Along about 2003 or so (I might be a year off), the Yankees did allow the Majestic logo on their BP jerseys only. Prior to that, if a BP top (Majestic or Russell) had a logo, it was in the same navy blue color as the jersey was, rendering it unnoticeable from the stands or on TV. The sleeve logo wasn't an issue in 1987-91, as Yankees gamers were made by Wilson during that five-year span, and the MLB contract for those 5 years was held by Rawlings.

I do recall a thread on GUF a few months ago that spoke of an Angel Berroa Yankees gamer that did have the Majestic sleeve logo, but that was a one-of-a-kind anomaly, not the norm.

Dave M.
Chicago area

mbenga28
10-13-2009, 08:48 AM
why do the bat boys and Old Timer's Game jerseys have the logos then?

suave1477
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I cannot speak for the Batboy Jerseys but the Old Timer jerseys are more made up spur of the moment depending on who is going to show up for the Old Timers game. So they just grab a bunch of retail Jerseys and sew that players number onto the back.

suave1477
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Also Angel Berroa was a last minute call up while they were on the road I believe and I would assume they didn't have the means in that short period of time to get a Jersey customized for him. So they just grabbed a retail Jersey and used that for him.

I do believe this may or something similar to this has happend before in the past where a retail Jersey was used for a player.

mbenga28
10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I cannot speak for the Batboy Jerseys but the Old Timer jerseys are more made up spur of the moment depending on who is going to show up for the Old Timers game. So they just grab a bunch of retail Jerseys and sew that players number onto the back.

my friend owned an Old Timers jersey and it had the same washtag as the game jerseys and was a size 46.

suave1477
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
my friend owned an Old Timers jersey and it had the same washtag as the game jerseys and was a size 46.

From when?

mbenga28
10-13-2009, 11:16 AM
From when?

2008, the Majestic logo was sewn on the sleeve but was covered by the later Bobby Murcer armband.

suave1477
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
When you say it has the same washtag as the game Jerseys, what specifically did it have?

bigtime59
10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
The Yankee$ don't have maker's marks on their uniforms because they're better than everyone else--just ask 'em, they'll tell you. Surprised you hadn't got the memo on that one.