PDA

View Full Version : Lou Brocks Personal Collection

joelsabi
10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Legendary Auction will be auctioning off Lou Brock's Personal Collection. Thought I would give a head ups.

A few highlights of the items in Lou Brock’s collection include:

Lou Brock’s 1967 World Series Championship ring;
An original Leroy Neiman painting of Brock sliding;
A 1974 home jersey worn when Brock broke the single season base stealing record;
The actual base Brock stole in 1977 to break Ty Cobb’s career base stealing record

CardinalsFan
10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Do you happen to have a link to the site? Thanks.

joelsabi
10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you happen to have a link to the site? Thanks.

the auction house link is
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/catalog.aspx

but nothing listed yet.

i got an email about Brock wanting to sell after the success of Bob Gibson's auction.

suicide_squeeze
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Again, I just can't understand why a big league professional baseball player would part with his World Series ring. Of all the sacrifices, hard work, and dreams fulfilled....you would think they would all but take it to their grave.

And in this instance, it's a record setting Hall of Famer. I would hope that Lou has not fallen on hard times, but my GOD, his ring???

skyking26
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Again, I just can't understand why a big league professional baseball player would part with his World Series ring. Of all the sacrifices, hard work, and dreams fulfilled....you would think they would all but take it to their grave.

And in this instance, it's a record setting Hall of Famer. I would hope that Lou has not fallen on hard times, but my GOD, his ring???
shoot me an email squeeze............

AWA85
10-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Is Lou going through some rough times, or just parting with items? Very interesting stuff hitting the block!

ndevlin
10-12-2009, 02:55 AM
You guys should look up the Gibson auction. I was amazed at what he was letting go.

skyking26
10-12-2009, 06:57 AM
You guys should look up the Gibson auction. I was amazed at what he was letting go.
Players let go of things for different reasons; financial, just don't care, kids don't care, no family to bequeath it to, etc.

These guys for the most part think of what they did as a job. You run across exceptions like Thome with baseball in his blood who likely holds onto stuff, but so many could just care less. When they start getting up there in age the lure of a big payday, in this economy, sometimes is most enticing...

I've talked to my wife and children before about my stuff. If I die, sell majority if you like, but certain pieces I trapsed around getting signed for 15-20 years...there is an emotional investment and my hope it is in my son or daughter's home one day hanging on a wall. I'd be disappointed if it was not and let them know that. About all you can do. Regarding all the Kingman jerseys, unlikely they would care to have them hanging all over when $$ at stake and I get that...

In the end, it all comes down to money.

suicide_squeeze
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Players let go of things for different reasons; financial, just don't care, kids don't care, no family to bequeath it to, etc.

These guys for the most part think of what they did as a job. You run across exceptions like Thome with baseball in his blood who likely holds onto stuff, but so many could just care less. When they start getting up there in age the lure of a big payday, in this economy, sometimes is most enticing...

I've talked to my wife and children before about my stuff. If I die, sell majority if you like, but certain pieces I trapsed around getting signed for 15-20 years...there is an emotional investment and my hope it is in my son or daughter's home one day hanging on a wall. I'd be disappointed if it was not and let them know that. About all you can do. Regarding all the Kingman jerseys, unlikely they would care to have them hanging all over when $$ at stake and I get that...

In the end, it all comes down to money.

I hear ya, and it's all true and good.

But I just have to cringe when I think about the Hall of Fame inductions, and the World Champion get-togethers these old timers have, and on these occasions, what better time than to flash the hardware, so to speak.....

Stan Musial to Ozzie Smith: "Hey Oz, I see you're sporting your rings today, nice! Look at mine, no missing stones because there's only ONE large one!!....Ha ha ha!"

Ozzie Smith to Stan: "Yeah, apparently the owners splurged a bit more in our days, mine appear to be twice the size of yours....Ha ha ha! Hey, there's Lou, hi Lou, what's new, nice to see you!"

Lou Brock to Ozzie and Stan: "Hey guys, welcome back fellow 'Birds'. Well, another couple of 'brothers' about to be inducted today....Oh, you guys are flashing the hardware today?"

Stan to Lou: "Yeah, where's yours? Didn't feel like carrying around the heavy load?"

Lou to Stan and Ozzie: "Nah, I sold mine. I took the money....who wants to wear that big lump of gold and diamonds anyways?"

Stan grabs at his chest....slumps and hits the ground.

Ozzie, yelling in general to any ears close by: "Somebody CALL A PARAMEDIC!!!":(

both-teams-played-hard
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Stan grabs at his chest....slumps and hits the ground.

Ozzie, yelling in general to any ears close by: "Somebody CALL A PARAMEDIC!!!":(

Mr. Musial has been in declining health recently. Jokes about him going into cardiac arrest are not funny nor appropriate.

Dewey2007
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Steve, Brock won two world series rings so hopefully he's keeping the 1964 ring which was his first and is maybe more sentimental.

Maybe he just saw no reason to keep the other although I agree with you why any athlete would consider selling something like a WS ring despite how many they had. I've never won one so it's hard for me to say.

ironmanfan
11-13-2009, 08:09 AM
I read where the Cardinals themselves ended up winning a lof of the primo items in the Bob Gibson auction, so I'm curious to see if they will pursue these Brock items as well..