PDA

View Full Version : Unique Ripken Find

ironmanfan
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
While I certainly realize that the majority of the Ripken equipment discussion in this frum deals with those related to Cal Ripken Jr., I thought I'd share with the forum two incredible bats that I recently acquired from a longtime friend of the Ripken family (professional model bats of Cal Ripken Sr.). To me the nicest one is the non-contract "RIPKEN" bat. It is a model H117 with PRE-1960 center labeling ID. I don't think one as old as this one as ever been un-covered. The other is a signature model with 1969-1972 labeling and obviously a coaches' bat (model 016).

ironmanfan
06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to post a couple observations I've gathered since acquiring these bats (by the way, thanks to all who took the time to email me about these).

The non-contract "Ripken" bat with pre-1961 H&B labeling not only is a model H117 (model of choice for Rogers Hornsby) but it also has the "Hornsby style" knob (as described in Mastros bat reference book) which was the first time I have ever seen one.

The Ripken Sr. contract signature coaches bat with 1969-1972 H&B labeling curiously has the SAME contract signature ("Cal Ripken") on the barrel as the 1993 All Star Bat that was being offerred by one of the auction houses, which was supposedly used by Cal Jr. (discussed on a separate post at the time).