PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

both-teams-played-hard
06-03-2006, 02:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-LANCE-ALWORTH-SAN-DIEGO-CHARGERS-GAME-WORN-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8821698392QQihZ005QQcategoryZ86829 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Super rare jersey...seller is completely trustworthy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/achargerad.jpg

Eric
06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Looks amazing. Can you tell me your observations about the jersey?
What do you know about the seller?
Eric

BoneRubbedBat
06-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I have purchased MANY items from that seller without a single problem. He's here in Texas, and lists alot of Astros/Colt .45's items as well as Texas League items. I have purchased a few jerseys, and all have been superb.

Marcus

both-teams-played-hard
06-04-2006, 01:40 PM
My research tells me the Alworth jersey was used in the 1963 or 1964 season. It appears to be made of a lightweight stretchy nylon knit. Not thick "doubleknit" or thick durene or dureen. It appears from the ad I posted and other photos that the "blue" SD jerseys were durene, but not the white.
In 1963 and 1964 the Chargers white jerseys used a smaller font on the front and back numerals. I have found photos of SD players from the era with front and back numbers as small as the Alworth. In some photos, the front and back numbers seem like the exact same size. In 1965, the Chargers changed numeral fonts-not as stylized and MUCH larger. The small numbers may have been hard to see on T.V. This jersey was originally "elbow length", then trimmed. The lightweight knit and durene variations could be attributed to hot and cold weather use.

trsent
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.

both-teams-played-hard
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.

I'll guess 3 Gs...at least twice that with the original NOB. The question is...what will it get from the auction house when it is consigned by the eBay buyer? In November, I was closely watching a Fran Tarkenton durene on eBay. The seller didn't sell sports stuff, and made a poor listing that wasn't seen by many. I was prepared to spend $1,500. It sold for $1,700. The buyer consigned it to AMI. AMI sold it for $27,000. Yes that's what I said....twenty-seven thousand dollars. Needless to say, I had regrets.

EndzoneSports
06-05-2006, 08:08 AM
It just goes to show that, despite all the cr*p that one is forced to wade through on eBay, the occasional gem does rise to the surface. An example, which makes a case for doing your homework and knowing what it is that you're looking for...

A recent eBay listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8804525118 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8804525118)) somewhat clandestinely described a jersey as an "Authentic Vintage Broncos Practice Jersey Number 87". Aware that the the Broncos didn't start purchasing dedicated practice jerseys, until the early to mid-70s, any practice jerseys from the late '60s were usually recycled game jerseys from the previous season(s). Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson. With these clues being sleuthed out by only one other astute bidder, I was able to obtain this well-worn piece for what I considered a bargain price (considering a "common" Broncos Durene jersey from this same era recently sold for $2,315 at one of the major auction houses).

Lesson to be learned is keep your eyes open and study, study, study.

And just in case anyone is curious... No, the Jackson jersey (http://pscoggin.com/Endzone/Graphics/reference/1967/JacksonR_f.jpg) is not for sale and will not be consigned to one of the auction houses' upcoming events.

Best Regards,

both-teams-played-hard
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson.

Great find, Patrick! Glad to see it is in the hands of a true Broncos fan...

both-teams-played-hard
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
The seller of the Alworth has added this information to the listing:
On Jun-05-06 at 08:12:44 PDT, seller added the following information:

JUST SPOKE WITH NOTED GAME WORN JERSEY AND AFL FOOTBALL EXPERT LOU LAMPSON, AND HE BELIEVES THIS LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY IS FROM 1963.

Eric
06-08-2006, 12:49 PM
How the heck did he talk to Lou Lampson? I know a lot of people who would like to talk to Lou Lampson (see numerous threads on $4000 St. Patrick's Day Cal Ripken jersey w/ Lampson Letter- the style never existed)

hblakewolf
06-08-2006, 01:03 PM
eric-
Is it possible that Lampson contacted the Ebay seller and wanted to know if he was also interested in buying a green St. Patrick's Alworth jersey with his LOA, too?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

norristrophy
06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
How the heck did he talk to Lou Lampson? I know a lot of people who would like to talk to Lou Lampson (see numerous threads on $4000 St. Patrick's Day Cal Ripken jersey w/ Lampson Letter- the style never existed)

I met him at the National once...he had a booth.

Eric
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Final bidding ended at US $13,501.00 Wow!!

trsent
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Final bidding ended at US $13,501.00 Wow!!

Yeah, and a few minutes before the auction ended I received the email below:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: eBay direct offer Item # 8821698392 Buy it now
Date: Mon, June 12, 2006 2:03 pm
To: joel@alpert.net

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY. I have
the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
US $900.00. I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
Thank You and have a nice day.

================================================== =

This request is related to item # 8821698392.

http://www.ebay.ph/viItem?ItemId=8821698392

Marketplace Safety Tips

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.ph/helpTSForm.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

Note: Immediately contact Rules & Safety http://www.ebay.ph/help?page=helpPolicies if one of eBay's rules were violated, such as:

- Your contact information was used for purposes unrelated to eBay business, published online or offline, or was used for the purposes of harassment.

- You received contact information that you believe to be erroneous.

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.ph/

I assume all bidders on this jersey received the same email. Needless to say, the guy is from ebay.ph which must be The Philippines.

norristrophy
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, and a few minutes before the auction ended I received the email below:

Subject: eBay direct offer Item # 8821698392 Buy it now

Date: Mon, June 12, 2006 2:03 pm
To: joel@alpert.net

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY. I have
the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
US $900.00. I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
Thank You and have a nice day.

This request is related to item # 8821698392.

http://www.ebay.ph/viItem?ItemId=8821698392

Marketplace Safety Tips

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.ph/helpTSForm.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

Note: Immediately contact Rules & Safety http://www.ebay.ph/help?page=helpPolicies if one of eBay's rules were violated, such as:

- Your contact information was used for purposes unrelated to eBay business, published online or offline, or was used for the purposes of harassment.

- You received contact information that you believe to be erroneous.

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.ph/

I assume all bidders on this jersey received the same email. Needless to say, the guy is from ebay.ph which must be The Philippines.

Joel,

You should definitely get the full warranty with this jersey like he suggests...these things'll rust up on yah like you wouldn't believe.

Jake51
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Yep...got the same one but he offered it to me at a mere $3500! (guessing is fired it off to us all with whatever our high bid was...)

trsent
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Joel,

You should definitely get the full warranty with this jersey like he suggests...these things'll rust up on yah like you wouldn't believe.

Ok, my reply:

Subject: RE: eBay direct offer Item # 8821698392 Buy it now
Date: Mon, June 12, 2006 2:32 pm
To: nike.park@hotmail.com

You have the same one of a kind jersey that was worn by Lance Alworth? You say your jersey is new, but the jersey I was bidding on was game used. Please explain how yours is new and how you have a $13,000.00 item available for $900.00.

Please email me date stamped photos and I will work a deal.

Thanks.

Eric
06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Anyone know anything about the auction winner ny1prada?

ghostkid
06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
No idea who ny1prada is, but the back up bidder (thebionicbigfoot) is quite well known in hobby circles.

Kevin

trsent
06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
When I asked the SPAMer for a phone number to discuss, after I questioned him (and he told me the price was $9000.00 not $900.00 as previously discussed) he emailed me back that the jersey had sold.

This is not your usual SPAM, this is an international individual trying to scam people by making them think it is an eBay 2nd chance offer from his personal email address.

I am just confused how he obtained all of our email addresses to email us directly. Mine can be found in any of my auction listings, but I assume Eric doesn't have his email address as readily available so how he found him is beyond me.

both-teams-played-hard
07-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Now listed on Heritage. Is there a mention of the restored NOB?

For chrissakes it's Spanjian, not Spanjan.

trsent
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Now listed on Heritage. Is there a mention of the restored NOB?

For chrissakes it's Spanjian, not Spanjan.

The description mentions moving of the numbers, but nothing abou the name. Here is the current description on the HA web site:

1964-65 Lance Alworth Game Worn San Diego Chargers Jersey. Before the two leagues merged, the American Football League played second fiddle to the powerhouse of the National Football League. However, in an unprecedented move, the highly-respected magazine Sports Illustrated</B> declared the San Diego Chargers' Lance Alworth as "Pro Football's Top Receiver" in 1969. That one event turned the heads of football fans everywhere, and helped catapult some lesser renowned AFL players on the map, when in the past they may have been referred to as "inferior" by media outlets who showed a distinct bias for the NFL.

Highly desirable, and made famous by the throwback jerseys of the modern-day San Diego Chargers, this two-year style uniform is instantly evocative of Alworth's glory days in southern California.

Originally obtained from the family of a former grounds crew member at old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, who found this piece in their attic, this jersey would prove to be the first exemplar of a 1964-65 Chargers roadster that has ever appeared in the hobby. As the story goes, the father of the family obtained the jersey in either November of 1964 or 1965, in which Alworth lit up the home team Chiefs for 168 and 181 yards, respectively.

This stunning garment features light royal blue shoulder inserts, which measure at an inordinate 4" in length, and accent the gold and white affixed shoulder bolts. "Alworth" is presented on the back nameplate in the Chargers' distinct 1960's font style, above its original back numeral "19." The only notable qualifier on the jersey, which we only mention for the sake of full disclosure, is a faint outline of the original placement of the back numeral, which can be seen about 2.5" higher than where it presently sits. However, there is not even a trace of activity on the three additional sets of numbers, which confirms that the reasoning for the back number repositioning was to make room for the NOB.

The sleeve and front numerals feature the same Swiss embroidery three-color inlays, and is the first time any pro football team used this style. The appropriate tail labeling is complete, with a "Higgins & Crosswaite" distributor's tag and "Spanjan" manufacturer's tag, which exhibit minor fraying, but perfectly consistent with the overall jersey wear.

An absolutely iron-clad jersey, which features the unique combination of historical significance, an ultra-rare uniform style and extreme rarity, this piece is unquestionably one of the finest representations of the College and Pro Football Hall of Famer, who in essence, helped put the AFL on the map. LOA from Heritage Auctions. Guide Value or Estimate: $20,000 - up.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7037&lotNo=80060