PDA

View Full Version : 84 Strawberry on Ebay

metsbats
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DARRYL-STRAWBERRY-NEW-YORK-METS-GAME-USED-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8821940022QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Can anyone comment on the tagging and lettering on 1984 Mets Rawlings jerseys? I have one 1984 in my collection and the strip tag has jersey number, jersey size, set no.

Thanks
-David

suave1477
06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
As a huge Darryl Strawberry fan I can say this Strawberry Jersey is a Total fake!!!!

suave1477
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
MetsBats, can you email me pics of Your Jersey - suave1477@yahoo.com
Thank you

bat_master
06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
As a huge Darryl Strawberry fan I can say this Strawberry Jersey is a Total fake!!!!

Suave:

I feel silly even asking this, but you made sure to contact the seller before posting in order to get their response, didn't you? :confused:

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

suave1477
06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Bat Master I will do you one better, no i didnt contact the eller bcuz i can plainly see the jersey is a fake. Bat Master any one can tell you here i am huge Strawberry collector and if anyone will know it will be me.

Trust me its a fake!!!

sammy
06-03-2006, 11:42 PM
The Rawlings tag appears to be from the 1985-87 era.

Washing instructions are different on the 1973-84 era tag.

bat_master
06-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Bat Master I will do you one better, no i didnt contact the eller bcuz i can plainly see the jersey is a fake. Bat Master any one can tell you here i am huge Strawberry collector and if anyone will know it will be me.

Trust me its a fake!!!

Suave:

I'm not doubting your sincerity or passion as a Strawberry fan. I also am not questioning your knowledge of Strawberry items.

What I am questioning is why you would choose to ignore the rules of the forum and post that an item is fake without first contacting the seller to provide them with your knowledge of Strawberry items and explain to the seller why it is a fake. I'm not a Strawberry fan and maybe I would like to know all of the things that make this jersey a fake?

Isn't that what we're all supposed to do here? Educate each other and help out when we can?

I applaud Jim C. for his research and the facts provided on the Mattingly jersey. With such a professional and informative post as that I would hope the seller of that jersey would take a long look at the information available to him or her and make the correct decision.

It's too easy to simply say that something is fake and not use anything to back it up. It's about personal responsibility.

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

Eric
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Tim is absolutely correct. This post goes against the rules of the forum which are repeated constantly. You offer no information as to why there are problems with the jersey AND made no attempt to contact the seller.

Even your response of "As a huge Darryl Strawberry fan I can say this Strawberry Jersey is a Total fake!!!!" provides no factual proof.

There is no excuse for not being familiar with the rules.

Eric

trsent
06-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Why do you think the guy is on my GameUsedForum.com Ignore list?

He has more posts on these forums than anyone, and he can't follow a simple rule about contacting a seller before making an accusation about an item in doubt?

Isn't is possible the seller doesn't know and isn't trying to pass a fake jersey off of beloved Darryl Strawberry because they just don't know and was misinformed by the previous owner?

metsbats
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
All I wanted to know was the consistency of the tagging w/ an 1984 jersey. I have received reponses outside the forum (which is approriate ) regarding other traits of typical 1984 jerseys.

Not being sure of the 84 on ebay myself I was not at liberty to question the seller w/o all the information. As Joel points out a seller may not necessarily know the have a questionable item.

THanks for all your reponses and I think I have all the information i need to make an informed decision.

Based on what i have I will email the seller to ask a few more questions.

-David

suave1477
06-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I would like to take the time to say I apologize to the members of this forum for jumping out saying something was fake with out any information following it.

Also I have spoken with the seller and bcuz we spoke he pulled the item in question.

The reasons for it not being up to par with an authnetic jersey was the nameplate font on the back of the jersey was completely incorrect. The lettering was short and fat and through all of Strawberry's career with the Mets his name has always been Tall and Skinny. Even with the Dodgers and the Giants, even though there lettering font is a little different it still has been more towards the Tall, Skinny side then Short and Fat.

If I offended anyone here I do apologize and was not my intention. It was a late night and I saw the post and I get a little pissed when I see someone on Ebay trying to sell a fake. On this particualr occasion the seller didn't realize what he was selling. SO I AM NOT ACCUSING THE SELLER OF TRYING TO SELL FAKE ITEMS!!! He just didnt know!!!

metsbats
06-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Welcome Back Jason.

As the person who orginally posted the query regarding the jersey, I took no offense to the reply. Your sincere apology is appreciated though.

Glad you were able to educate the seller and the item was pulled.

-David

suave1477
06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Metsbats thanks for welcoming me back!!!