PDA

View Full Version : Is Glomar a MLB licensed bat?

Birdbats
10-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I just noticed Manny is using a Glomar bat. I know Glomar used to have a MLB license, but I don't recall seeing them on the approved list for 2009. Brian (or anyone else), any insight?

Lokee
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
That list has grown as there is over 30 companies the produce bats for various players in MLB. I imagine he had to get it it approved OR after all he is Man-Ram and might have just used it.

BMH
10-08-2009, 07:04 AM
I know last year they were licensed, not sure about this year. Pretty sure they are though.

nationals2k9
10-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Fairly certain the guy used 3 different bats for first 3 ABs - gotta love it!!!

treant985
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I thought Glomar had gone out of business, but obviously not (or at least they came back into business). I came across a glomar a year or two ago and couldn't find ANYTHING about the company except that it was in CA...

BMH
10-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Glomar is done from what I can tell, their turner now works for Trinity bat.

Mauer7
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
BMH is correct. Glomar became Trinity.

BMH
10-08-2009, 09:44 PM
We have a couple of guys from TECO and MLB in the factory. These are the same guys who visit all the manufacturer's to see if they are complying with the new rules on Maple. I thought about this thread while talking to them today and just asked if they were still authorized to sell to MLB, they told me they had gone under and switched to Trinity.

Birdbats
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Brian, if the company has "gone under," is Glomar a legal bat or not? Does Trinity's license cover Glomar bats? Or does each brand need a license?

I guess that kind of leads to another question: Can a player use a bat from a defunct company if the bat was legally licensed when it was made? For example, could someone today use a Young bat that was made ten years ago? Yeah, sounds silly -- but Josh Hamilton used a Louisville Slugger bat that was 40+ years old earlier this season.

Interesting topic. I appreciate your thoughts!

allstarsplus
10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Fairly certain the guy used 3 different bats for first 3 ABs - gotta love it!!!

CHA CHING, CHA CHING....That's the sound of Manny's cash register. LOL

I can hear it now, "Andrew, I have one of Manny's playoff bats".

treant985
10-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Brian, if the company has "gone under," is Glomar a legal bat or not? Does Trinity's license cover Glomar bats? Or does each brand need a license?

I guess that kind of leads to another question: Can a player use a bat from a defunct company if the bat was legally licensed when it was made? For example, could someone today use a Young bat that was made ten years ago? Yeah, sounds silly -- but Josh Hamilton used a Louisville Slugger bat that was 40+ years old earlier this season.

Interesting topic. I appreciate your thoughts!

I've got a feeling that the new 'rules' are being enforced only against the manufacturers. Especially at the beginning of the season, players were using all-black maples (thus no magical ink dot) and the umpires and other team couldn't care less.