PDA

View Full Version : Minor league bats vs major league bats

mr.miracle
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
A general question here that I simply do not know the answer to an perhaps ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference but I sure could use some help. As kind of the ultimate collectible bat of a major league player, what is generally viewed as the most valuable and sought after (aside from perhaps say the bat used to hit homer 756 or something like that) a star players bat from his very first ever minor league any level bat order one of only 6 bats first ordered verified by order records, or a major league bat showing good game use. Assuming both bats are verified as authentic graded by Bushings and Kinunen say A-8.5, which is preferred? If the answer is the minor league bat, what would it take to trump that bat from a major league perspective? Playoff/World Series, Milestone bat? or is the minor league bat simply looked at as another bat not major league game used? What kind of value is generally attached to a minor league bat like this long term for a HOF calibre player? Any feedback or insight would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
Brett:D

suave1477
06-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Mrmiracle I would say there are so many variables to that question it would actually be hard to answer.

It depends really on the collectors in the market and depending on the player what mile stones they have reached in Minor League and Major League, What are that players rarest bats used?, Do there bats have more use through the Minors then the Majors?, Depends on Minor League collectors, Was the player a first round draft?, What teams are they playing for in the Majors? Was he a Top Prospect?

So many different ways of looking at it and im sure I missed some!!!

Just to give you an example!!!
I have a Darryl Strawberry game used bat from 1983 which he came up at the end of 1983 but 1984 was considered his first full rookie season

I personally would rather have a bat of his from 1994 when he was with the Giants for 2 years and out of those 2 years he barely played half a season. So game used bats from when he was with that team are rare so I seek those bats over most others, unless he placed a rare order of bats when he was with any other team.

So I think along with milestones always take into factor the rarity of a bat!!!

mr.miracle
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks Suave:

Don't threaten to smack me but the bat in question is for Barry Bonds from 1985. This bat was one of only six ever ordered for his only full season in the minors at single A ball. It is verified through ordering records and by Bushings and Kinunen in their grading letter. Barry played like 71 games in the minors in 85 at A ball and then had a very short stop at AAA like 41 games in 1986 before being permanently called to Pitt in early 1986. Before you yell about Barry I am just wondering as a general principle if this is likely to increase in value or be considered somewhat ultra rare enough to be a big time collectible one day. Barry Bond's milestone bats aside, how would this compare to other Bond's major league used bats? Any feedback would be helpful.

THanks

Probably if I buy it next week MLB will conclude their steroid investigation with irrefutable proof that Bonds was juiced for the past 10 years and will provide 30 witnesses with verified receipts and order records as well as pictures of them injecting this crap into Barry. The whole market would go to you know where in a hand basket. That would be my luck.

suave1477
06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
MrMiracle well no matter what even if Bonds items go down in value some wont, no matter what, because there will always be a demand for some items. So if everything goes bad for Bonds the value is going to go down but they will always hold some type of value for many reasons.

1) Superstar status
2) Breaking Milestone Records
3) Being apart of one of the biggest controversies.

In Acting they say bad publicity is good publicity / That goes just as well for sports

Look at Canseco He was a SuperStar rumors circulate he is on Roids "everyone hates him" he fades away. After retirement he writes a book snithcing on everyone he becomes famous again and people are collecting his stuff more now.

Even though I am not a Bonds collector so I wouldnt threaten you maybe a just a light tap in the back of the head lol lol lol:D

I would say definitely get a bat like that if there is only 6 of those ever ordered and you have 1 of them, that to me is a must.
And you ask if something like that will hold value? Look at it like this imagine if you had a Rare Minor League Babe Ruth Game Used bat?

I am not saying they are not out there but I have seen Game Used Ruth bats but I never saw a Minor League Game Used Ruth Bat!!!!

Players items always go up if they make it into the Hall.
Also if by some mere chance Bonds makes it into the Hall his items will sky rocket especially becuz all the people who said he wont make it and stopped collecting his stuff.

jonincleve
07-30-2007, 07:29 AM
just curious would you rather own a minor league bat of your favorite player or a major league rookie bat of your favorite player? also which would be worth more money? my example is a grady sizemore bat from his first professional season 2000 vs a bat from 2004 his rookie season. how about the alex rodriguez and jose canseco collectors out there? which would you value more, a minor league bat before they were in the majors or a first year bat? to go even father how about a hank aaron minor league bat vs an early aaron bat. which would be worth more?

take care
john

allstarsplus
07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I like the idea of Minor League bats to have in a collection with the Major League bats.

My big issue with the Minor League bats it that they are tough to authenticate as photo evidence is really hard to find. I remember an Alberto Pujols minor league bat that someone was trying to sell me, and I couldn't establish whether it was his bat so I didn't buy it.

I have had good luck getting bats from USA Baseball of players I collect like Ryan Zimmerman. They auctioned off a cracked Easton bat which is auto'd by Ryan. The bat is a pro style bat with no name on it and USA baseball sent a picture of Ryan using the bat so that became a great and rare collectible.

From talking to people that collect the minor league bats, they collect them while the player is still in the Minor Leagues where they get them direct from the player.

Andrew

joelsabi
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks Suave:

Don't threaten to smack me but the bat in question is for Barry Bonds from 1985. This bat was one of only six ever ordered for his only full season in the minors at single A ball. It is verified through ordering records and by Bushings and Kinunen in their grading letter. Barry played like 71 games in the minors in 85 at A ball and then had a very short stop at AAA like 41 games in 1986 before being permanently called to Pitt in early 1986. Before you yell about Barry I am just wondering as a general principle if this is likely to increase in value or be considered somewhat ultra rare enough to be a big time collectible one day. Barry Bond's milestone bats aside, how would this compare to other Bond's major league used bats? Any feedback would be helpful.

THanks

Probably if I buy it next week MLB will conclude their steroid investigation with irrefutable proof that Bonds was juiced for the past 10 years and will provide 30 witnesses with verified receipts and order records as well as pictures of them injecting this crap into Barry. The whole market would go to you know where in a hand basket. That would be my luck.

did this bat have his name on it? how did you verify the record? do you have a photo of the bat that you can share?

coxfan
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
One problem is it's hard to prove that minor-league bats are associated with certain players, because the bats are not ordered just for one player. I've bought several from Class A and one from AAA teams. The only one I could associate with a player is a Butch Huskey bat ( from his Class A team), which I got for $5. It has his number "42" on it, and the team said it was his at the time, but it's otherwise not provable.

mr.miracle
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
did this bat have his name on it? how did you verify the record? do you have a photo of the bat that you can share?

http://www.coasttocoastsports.com/details.php?prod_id=192

Here it is brother. Still up there three years later as I never bought it.

Thanks,