PDA

View Full Version : Dr. J "Photomatched" 1980 Sixers Jersey on eBay

sportscentury
10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Julius-Erving-DR-J-Game-Used-Auto-76ers-Jersey-1980_W0QQitemZ320431945137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4a9b3b75b1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Do folks think this is photomatched? I don't see the match. Does the NOB match as the auction states? What am I missing?

eagraham35
10-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know...what do you think of the 'v' part of the front? Is there a line on the jersey but not on the photo match? Hard to tell if it is a shadow or not.

otismalibu
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
It was a 1983 a few weeks back.

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=99556

By Xmas, it will be a NY Nets jersey.

No way to tell what year, unless you had a TRUE photo match, and could date the photo. Could be a 78 up to an 85. Not sure why it's called a "modified V-neck". All the Sixers jerseys from this era had the V-neck. And why is the V open?

sportscentury
10-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the posts and emails. The arches don't appear to match to me. A style-match at best, imo.

CollectGU
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
It is now in MEARS current auction:

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=5487

otismalibu
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
The V of the neck collar has been lightly cut causing separation of the neck ribbing.Wouldn't that be damage? You can still get a perfect grade if seams are coming apart?

No real surprise that it got an A10.

Offered for sale, 1979-85 Julius “Dr. J” Erving Philadelphia 76ers Game Worn Home Jersey.Actually, it's 1978-1986, but it's in the ballpark.

NOTE: the auction image if for a visual reference to Dr. J only, and there is no connection between the offered shirt and the accompanying image.I never understand this. If you're going to take the time to paste the jersey on a game photo, why not style match it? Nah. Let's show a completely different jersey.

CollectGU
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Interesting to note Legenday's write up as compared to MEARS:

Of note are the following: The numerals’ thread shade differs from that of the team nickname, suggesting that the numerals were locally affixed, as was often the case with the 76ers, save for an initial set purchased prior to each season. Second, there is extensive, uneven glue backing to the numerals, more than the norm, which has produced noticeable puckering. Third, there is no cloth swatch attached to the main label which usually housed a “penned” customization designator. None of these features disqualify the jersey as a gamer, but do classify it as a slightly less than optimal representation.

otismalibu
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
When I first read the Legendary description, I thought it was refreshingly honest.

The numerals’ thread shade differs from that of the team nickname, suggesting that the numerals were locally affixed, as was often the case with the 76ers, save for an initial set purchased prior to each season.

I suppose more info is better than less, but the Pearson tag is only on the jersey, because it was attributed after the fact, right? So no real revelation here.

Hard to comment on the "uneven glue backing" unless one saw the jersey in person. As long as it's the original number and original stitching...

The split neck and lack of extra length tag, would seem to be worth some deductions, IMO. Unless the neck was split during a game...then I'd need visual evidence to support that claim.

otismalibu
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
$1300 up to $7800

Folks sure love their paper.

:fiatmoney:

kingjammy24
10-30-2009, 04:43 PM
$1300 up to $7800

Folks sure love their paper.

:fiatmoney:

it's confusing to me that the hobby is still at the point where it'll pay a 500% markup just for a MEARS authentication. it seems to me that someone paying $7800 for a jersey would be likely be a serious collector. you'd think a serious collector would know enough about their own collecting interests not to need a MEARS opinion much less pay $6500 for one. they could've had the jersey at $1300 but waited until MEARS wrapped it in a nice, big conflict-of-interest for $7800 instead? and it's not like troy photomatched the thing or had dr.j himself examine it.

even if you're clueless, you've got GUF. i'm sure greg would've rendered an opinion about the dr.j jersey which would've easily been as qualified as MEARS' and charged far less than $6500. even slapped it with his very own G10 grade.

i guess pt barnum was right.

rudy.