PDA

View Full Version : Colts helmet on ebay

helmets
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
There is a Colts Revolution helmet on ebay. Item 220484027064. Owner says it was worn by Dexter Reid in 2006, and has #36 on the rear. I can't find any photos of Reid with a Revo - so I emailed the seller again. Seller says he wore the helmet on Dec. 18, 2006. Photos of Reid from that game show a Riddell VSR4 with EGOP-II mask and Oakley shield.

Am I missing something? Auction is at $305 with over an hour to go - with one lousy photo, a vague description, and nothing matches up...

cohibasmoker
09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I also saw the helmet so I emailed the seller and asked him for some additional scans. When I compared the scans he sent me to images on Getty, I could NOT find any images that matched the style of helmet worn by Dexter Reid. So, I figured the seller made a mistake on the year so I tried Kenton Keith who also wore the same number. Again, I could NOT match the style of helmet.

The offered helmet is also missing the NFL shield on the back of the helmet.

Who right or who's wrong? I don't know you guys decide.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

helmets
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Last email I received the buyer says he was "field side during the game and he handed it to me after the game."

5kRunner
09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Last email I received the buyer says he was "field side during the game and he handed it to me after the game."

So with two games + playoffs remaining that season, he gave his helmet away.

Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

mvandor
09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
There is a Colts Revolution helmet on ebay. Item 220484027064. Owner says it was worn by Dexter Reid in 2006, and has #36 on the rear. I can't find any photos of Reid with a Revo - so I emailed the seller again. Seller says he wore the helmet on Dec. 18, 2006. Photos of Reid from that game show a Riddell VSR4 with EGOP-II mask and Oakley shield.

Am I missing something? Auction is at $305 with over an hour to go - with one lousy photo, a vague description, and nothing matches up...

Hmm, a completely different Colts lid picture is now showing up on that ebay item #...

helmets
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Same photo as always on the listing. Jim had requested other photos of the helmet from the seller, and those photos are what he posted here. The one on the auction is the same photo that has always been there.

Vikingshelmetguy
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Wow, I wonder how many times I have seen auctions for game used helmets where the seller claims that the helmet was acquired when the player "handed it to me after the game" or after a practice, or where the equipment manager somehow just gave it away... It's like that Mean Joe Greene commercial: "Hey kid, thanks for the Coca-Cola.... Here, let me give you my game worn jersey, hot off my sweaty back!" To be fair, I have seen NFL players throw their shoes, wrist bands and gloves up into the stands to excited fans. But jerseys and helmets are kind of a different deal, and not so easy to just give away.... It's like a rock drummer after a concert: They will sometimes throw their drum sticks up for grabs out into the adoring crowd, but not their entire actual drum set.

mvandor
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Same photo as always on the listing. Jim had requested other photos of the helmet from the seller, and those photos are what he posted here. The one on the auction is the same photo that has always been there.

COMPLETELY different helmet. Guy has EIGHT feedback, and sent picks of a different lid???

See ya, no way I touch a seller like that.