PDA

View Full Version : Dolphinboy the ebay crook!

gameused
09-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Top two photos:
January of 2006, I sold a Johnny Damon BWP bat on ebay, the bat was unused with some rack marks only! (No pine tar or ballmarks)
Buyer: dolphinboy (Mike Nardone)

Middle photo:
Dolphinboy tries to sell the bat to a GUU member as a game used bat, notice the pine tar. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4932&page=5&highlight=dolphinboy

Last photo:
After almost 3 years, the bat is listed once again on ebay, notice the pine tar is gone and the listing states it's "unused" I guess after 3 years he thinks people forget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHNNY-DAMON-GAME-ISSUE-un-USED-BWP-RED-SOX-MAPLE-BAT_W0QQitemZ110436535057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item19b687cb11&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_519wt_1167

To all GUU members who are not aware of this guy, he is one shady character, this is not the first time he's been busted altering game issued items to make them look game used. He resides in Boston and frequently sells GU items on ebay so buyer beware!

Thanks, Bobby

JasonBanz
09-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I purchased 2 jerseys from Mike and didn't have a problem with him. He does currently have a Dolphins jersey for sale that doesn't match up right. I do plan on asking him about it but haven't had the chance.

whatupyos
09-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Jason-

When you play with fire, sooner or later, you're going to get burned.

I'm just sayin.

Aaron

JasonBanz
09-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Jason-

When you play with fire, sooner or later, you're going to get burned.

I'm just sayin.

Aaron

Aaron,
I agree. I don't plan on purchasing anything else from him. Besides bats are much easier to try and sell as game used than jerseys.

whatupyos
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Right on man, I just hate to see anyone take risks and get burned by bad deals. Hopefully your deals are all positives. Cheers.

Aaron

murfsteve25
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I asked dolphinboy about the bat, here is the message i got back:

"You're a loser. different bat, this one is mint with NO pine tar. I wish I had the time to send a total stranger an idiotic email like you do, I guess when you'r a lonely loser, that's all you have.... PLease stop watching me, I feel uncomfortable that you spend every day watching me. You need medication brother.. Stop wasting my time."

So now I'm a lonely loser.

treant985
09-27-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm confused. So after turning your game-issued bat into a 'game-used' bat, he decided to remove the pine tar so that he could sell it as a cheaper version?

That's how I read your timeline, so maybe I'm missing something.

gameused
09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm confused. So after turning your game-issued bat into a 'game-used' bat, he decided to remove the pine tar so that he could sell it as a cheaper version?

That's how I read your timeline, so maybe I'm missing something.

The only reason he removed the pine tar is due to the fact that he got caught trying to sell a unused bat as a game used bat. After being exposed on the forum, he removes the tar, puts the bat in the closet for 3 years and now decides to sell it, trying to recoup some of his money he spent.

I think I sold the bat to him on ebay for around $200, so if it sells at it current price of $49.99, he's taking a big loss, not to mention the loss he's taken over the years as potential bidders that found out about him wont bid on his items.

Here are a couple Manny Ramirez bats he forged:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23898&highlight=dolphinboy
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10067&highlight=dolphinboy

Number9
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I have seen enough evidence over the years to have my mind made up.

I won't even buy Steiner items from him. As a matter of principle, and because you don't know what he may or may not have done to them.

If I owned an item he's handled, even if it looked right, I would always wonder about it and have doubts. That's why I never buy from ANYONE who has been proven to be involved in shady things, collectors, dealers, ebay sellers, none of them -- and it is a long list unfortunately.

That's among the best reasons to keep up with the forum -- do searches on names and IDs before you buy, find examples of past behavior, and keep things filed away in the back of your mind.

Thanks Bobby for keeping an eye on things. It helps those of us that like to pick up Red Sox items.

gameused
09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I have seen enough evidence over the years to have my mind made up.

I won't even buy Steiner items from him. As a matter of principle, and because you don't know what he may or may not have done to them.

If I owned an item he's handled, even if it looked right, I would always wonder about it and have doubts. That's why I never buy from ANYONE who has been proven to be involved in shady things, collectors, dealers, ebay sellers, none of them -- and it is a long list unfortunately.

That's among the best reasons to keep up with the forum -- do searches on names and IDs before you buy, find examples of past behavior, and keep things filed away in the back of your mind.

Thanks Bobby for keeping an eye on things. It helps those of us that like to pick up Red Sox items.

Mike,

I totally agree with you. A month ago dolphinboy listed a 2008 Jason Bay game used Red Sox batting helmet, the helmet was MLB and Steiner authenticated and signed on the brim by Jason Bay, the auto was legit and I photo matched the helmet to game photos of Jason Bay during the 2008 season. I would have loved to have that helmet in my collection, but I would never buy from him because of his past, I don't care what he sells, I would never do business with him. Another thing I noticed is that the helmet sold on ebay and it was a private auction, a couple of weeks later the same Jason Bay helmet is back on ebay and again a private auction, who knows but he may be on the other end of the first auction pumping up the bid price and ended up being the high bidder, that's why it was listed twice.

Bobby

whatupyos
09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
FYI Forum members....He is the current high bidder of a Chipper Jones game used autographed home Braves jersey on MLB.com. Just thought I'd bring this up in case he wins it. Hopefully someone else will win it instead.

Number9
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Bobby,
You and I were thinking the same thing. Nice Bay helmet but no thanks.

Hope you are doing great, nothing exciting here, a bat here and there but still looking for certain helmets. I checked with Steiner today and no 2009s are in yet.

Happy collecting,

Mike

gameused
09-29-2009, 02:56 AM
Bobby,
You and I were thinking the same thing. Nice Bay helmet but no thanks.

Hope you are doing great, nothing exciting here, a bat here and there but still looking for certain helmets. I checked with Steiner today and no 2009s are in yet.

Happy collecting,

Mike

Mike,

Always good to hear from you. Seasons coming to an end soon, hopefully some nice GU items start to surface.

Best Regards, Bobby

sox83cubs84
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I am having trouble believing that this Mike Nardone is the same guy who called me 20 years ago for advice on whether or not to sell a quantity of Rawlings Red Sox pants to a buyer he was suspcious of (will detail the entire story if requested to do so). I'm not necessarily ignoring nor agree- ing with the charges being made against him (and the evidence does seem to be there)...I'm just dumbfounded as to how a guy actively trying to thwart a hobby forger in the late 1980s has now himself become suspected of, at minimum, doctoring equipment items.:confused:

Dave M.
Chicago area

chakes89
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you guys think that everything that he sells is fake or doctored?

He has a bat up right now that I may put a bid or two on

spartakid
09-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Do you guys think that everything that he sells is fake or doctored?

He has a bat up right now that I may put a bid or two on

I definitely wouldn't do it myself. If the guy is known to be dishonest, I'd sure be careful.