PDA

View Full Version : New favorite bat??? - Manny '09 LVS!!!!!!

nationals2k9
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Got this beauty last night at Dodgers/Nationals game with some BIG help from Andrew Lang and his knack for pulling together quick deals. I was close to losing it while waiting to see if landing this bat was a real possibility. Bat is directly through Manny's people and shows nice use with lots of fresh tar and '99' on knob. Best guess is it was swung during BP and dropped from circulation as BMH explained below. Doesn't get much better than this for me with 125th anniversary logo, Los Angeles Dodgers mention, uncracked with nice use, etc... pretty cool to have 1 of the only I13's Manny has ever requested!

:D :D :D :D :D

Made on 8/26/09. He wanted I13's even though he's never used them before. I said we should make him some S318's instead. Our head rep said he requested I13's so that is what we made. Our head rep and one of my workers dropped them off in Cinci to Manny. First thing out of Manny's mouth is they were too end heavy...what a waste of good timber.

5kRunner
09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Great Bat! Congrats on the pickup.

I see why its your new favorite!

Tay1038
09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice bat!

gameused
09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Got this beauty last night at Dodgers/Nationals game with some BIG help from Andrew Lang and his knack for pulling together quick deals. I was close to losing it while waiting to see if landing this bat was a real possibility. Bat is directly through Manny's people and shows nice use with lots of fresh tar and '99' on knob. Best guess is it was swung during BP and dropped from circulation as BMH explained below. Doesn't get much better than this for me with 125th anniversary logo, Los Angeles Dodgers mention, uncracked with nice use, etc... pretty cool to have 1 of the only I13's Manny has ever requested!

Made on 8/26/09. He wanted I13's even though he's never used them before. I said we should make him some S318's instead. Our head rep said he requested I13's so that is what we made. Our head rep and one of my workers dropped them off in Cinci to Manny. First thing out of Manny's mouth is they were too end heavy...what a waste of good timber.

Mike,

Sweet Manny bat...congrats!

When Manny was with the Indians, he used a I13 model ash bat, I'm guessing the maple weighs a little more than ash and he's getting towards the end of his career so maybe that's why he said it's a little top heavy.

Thanks, Bobby

allstarsplus
09-25-2009, 11:59 AM

:D :D :D :D :D

Mike - This was definitely the craziest series for me as I had more "wish list" requests than ever before and scored some amazing pieces of memorabilia from the series, but unfortunately not everyone had smiles as I never got the Thome Home Run ball (because his only hit in the series was a single) and I never got the Manny Ramirez uncracked Phoenix bat that Manny swung the last 2 games because Manny wasn't ready to give it up.

So Mike, your bat will be the mystery (hopefully you get some photo proof soon) of whether he used it in the cage or used it for some live game at bats. I got to say, I love the use on it and the chase to get it was worth it in the end due to its uniqueness and how much work it is to get anything from Manny (many of you know my August 2009 story with his 500 HR jersey).

The haggling with Manny's "guys" is like a scene out of buying a car, seriously. The back and forth, and then with the obligatory "I will call you back" and "I will think about it". It took in a span of 45 minutes 8 phone calls that went on during BP and after BP as they are in the clubhouse calling me with what Manny has for me and how much they want for it and the negotiations of whether I could could get a Nike, Phoenix or SSK to finding out the bat was a Louisville Slugger. Then we went to the live negotations phase in the fenced in players parking lot with Mike looking on in anticipation. It got tense there for a while. In the end, this negotiation and time spent was worth it.

You have to love getting a Louisville that has the Dodgers team name and that 125th Anniversary logo that came right out of the clubhouse from Manny himself, and you may be the only one that ever gets a real used I13 Manny Ramirez!

This is one sweet bat! Congrats Mike!

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Andrew,

What can I say, you're a true class act. Thanks for the attempt on the Thome home run ball. I'm of the belief it just may never happen.

I just wish they'd stick him at first for one full game.....give him 4 at bats....just ONCE!

This one-and-done nonsense is painful. :mad:

Regards,

Steve

skyking26
09-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Andrew,

What can I say, you're a true class act. Thanks for the attempt on the Thome home run ball. I'm of the belief it just may never happen.

I just wish they'd stick him at first for one full game.....give him 4 at bats....just ONCE!

Regards,

Steve
The whole trade is painful. I just don't think it benefits anybody. They do not use him to his capabilities. If they go on to get a ring, how does Thome feel he earned it sitting? Just does not seem like Thome's style. The trade was not a good one...

nationals2k9
09-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Mike - This was definitely the craziest series for me as I had more "wish list" requests than ever before and scored some amazing pieces of memorabilia from the series, but unfortunately not everyone had smiles as I never got the Thome Home Run ball (because his only hit in the series was a single) and I never got the Manny Ramirez uncracked Phoenix bat that Manny swung the last 2 games because Manny wasn't ready to give it up.

So Mike, your bat will be the mystery (hopefully you get some photo proof soon) of whether he used it in the cage or used it for some live game at bats. I got to say, I love the use on it and the chase to get it was worth it in the end due to its uniqueness and how much work it is to get anything from Manny (many of you know my August 2009 story with his 500 HR jersey).

The haggling with Manny's "guys" is like a scene out of buying a car, seriously. The back and forth, and then with the obligatory "I will call you back" and "I will think about it". It took in a span of 45 minutes 8 phone calls that went on during BP and after BP as they are in the clubhouse calling me with what Manny has for me and how much they want for it and the negotiations of whether I could could get a Nike, Phoenix or SSK to finding out the bat was a Louisville Slugger. Then we went to the live negotations phase in the fenced in players parking lot with Mike looking on in anticipation. It got tense there for a while. In the end, this negotiation and time spent was worth it.

You have to love getting a Louisville that has the Dodgers team name and that 125th Anniversary logo that came right out of the clubhouse from Manny himself, and you may be the only one that ever gets a real used I13 Manny Ramirez!

This is one sweet bat! Congrats Mike!

Andrew,

Very nice account of the happenings! Purely a right place at the right time thing for me and certainly more than happy we've built a strong relationship helping each other out over the past year plus. I guess we're now back to a "me owe you" scenario, huh?

Certainly a great bat that won't be leaving my personal collection any time soon and a great way to cap the past year or so of chasing Manny bats. Paid a very competitive amount for it but it was well worth it.

Mike

whatupyos
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Andrew,

Regards,

Steve

Steve-

Have faith my friend. Seriously, it'll happen. I can't see why they won't stick him at first. Its getting down the stretch and the regulars I'm sure can use a break to rest up for October. Good luck to you in your quest!

Aaron

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 12:42 PM
The whole trade is painful. I just don't think it benefits anybody. They do not use him to his capabilities. If they go on to get a ring, how does Thome feel he earned it sitting? Just does not seem like Thome's style. The trade was not a good one...

Skyking26,

Hopefully you can change that tune when the Dodgers play in the American League parks in the post season, and Thome is the DH. He'll then get his 4 at-bats a game, and most definately do the damage the Dodgers expected when they made this move.

But in these one meaningless at-bat per game appearances, it's bad....I can't argue that point. But it's not the reason they made the move. Thome's day will come, just like Matt Stairs for the Phillies last year. But as a guy trying to run down a homer of his....I'm just besides myself with frustration.

allstarsplus
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Andrew,

Very nice account of the happenings! Purely a right place at the right time thing for me and certainly more than happy we've built a strong relationship helping each other out over the past year plus. I guess we're now back to a "me owe you" scenario, huh?

Certainly a great bat that won't be leaving my personal collection any time soon and a great way to cap the past year or so of chasing Manny bats. Paid a very competitive amount for it but it was well worth it.

Mike

Aw, I like the "me owe you" scenario, but for anyone who doesn't know, Mike got me one of my favorite Nats items ever---a Ryan Zimmerman HR ball which I will be forever grateful!

Here's what you can do for me. You can volunteer to sit in the visitor's bullpen and collect HR balls like they have the guy in Detroit who does that. I will buy each and everyone of them. See, if you were there in the bullpen on Wednesday, you would have retrieved the Ryan Zimmerman game tying 3 run HR ball which happened to be his 98th, 99th and 100th RBI of the season!

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Steve-

Have faith my friend. Seriously, it'll happen. I can't see why they won't stick him at first. Its getting down the stretch and the regulars I'm sure can use a break to rest up for October. Good luck to you in your quest!

Aaron

Aaron,

I really appreciate the well wishes, but man, I don't know. You have to remember, his foort (heel) is hurt, so it's extremely unlikely he'll ever take position at first base with a glove....

I have already bought my tickets for the last three Dodger home games.....seats in both the left field Pavillion, and the right field Pavillion (bleacher sections). I can't tell you how much money I've spent doing this since Thome has become a Dodger, but it would all be worth it if he hits just ONE home run in Dodger stadium, and I get to the fan who catches it before Thome's reps do!!!

Regards,

Steve

P.S. Are there any forum members who are going to the Pirates/Dodgers series starting tonight? If so, take a wad of cash and if Thome hits a homer, take pictures, buy the ball from the fan, and I'll pay you HANDSOMELY to sell it to me! :) I'm serious.....if anyone is going, email me at:

suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com

Thanks!!

allstarsplus
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Skyking26,

Hopefully you can change that tune when the Dodgers play in the American League parks in the post season, and Thome is the DH. He'll then get his 4 at-bats a game, and most definately do the damage the Dodgers expected when they made this move.

But in these one meaningless at-bat per game appearances, it's bad....I can't argue that point. But it's not the reason they made the move. Thome's day will come, just like Matt Stairs for the Phillies last year. But as a guy trying to run down a homer of his....I'm just besides myself with frustration.

I totally agree. He isn't there for September or the middle of October. He is there for the possibility of up to 4 games in the American League city where the World Series is played when he will DH.

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Aw, I like the "me owe you" scenario, but for anyone who doesn't know, Mike got me one of my favorite Nats items ever---a Ryan Zimmerman HR ball which I will be forever grateful!

Here's what you can do for me. You can volunteer to sit in the visitor's bullpen and collect HR balls like they have the guy in Detroit who does that. I will buy each and everyone of them. See, if you were there in the bullpen on Wednesday, you would have retrieved the Ryan Zimmerman game tying 3 run HR ball which happened to be his 98th, 99th and 100th RBI of the season!

Andrew,

That would have been a HUGE one....

Trust me, I know. When I went toe to toe with Dodger brass to obtain the rights to buy Manny's 521st homer from the lucky little boy that caught it, it was the exact same sitch.....Manny's 98th, 99th, and 100th RBI of the season, giving him 12 100-RBI seasons in his career, second only to Gehrig and Ruth's 13 each. Talk about a BIGGIE!:) :) :) :)

(For those of you who don't know that story, the Dodger reps beat me to the fan as I had to run and buy a ticket to get to that section. They woo'ed the little boy by bringing him through the Dodger locker-room while escourting him back to the Dodger offices, and while he was in the locker-room, Manny came through, during the game by pure chance, to use the head. He was introduced to the "boy who caught your home run", and Manny signed a ball (handed to him by the rep who asked if Manny would sign it for the boy) to give to the youth. The Dodger rep told Manny "We're going to put your ball in our Dodger museum we'll be opening next year". Manny, handing the ball he had just signed back to the boy, said "Don't put it in the museum, let the boy keep it." That strange set of events caused confusion in the boys mind, thinking the ball he was handed by Manny was THE home run ball, which in fact was still in the hand of the rep who had already promised the boy and his family play-off tickets if they...the Dodger Org.....could keep Manny's #521 home run ball.

That set of circumstances allowed me to talk the family into going back to the Dodger offices that next day (Sunday) and get the ball back from them so I could pay them a ton of money for it. It happened, and I have my fantastic home run ball by Manny!!:) Now if I can only somehow get it signed one day.....

Better luck next time Andrew!!

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Nationals2k9.....

In all of the commotion of this thread, I don't think I ever got out a compliment to you on your bat.....it's incredible, a keeper for sure. As you know, I'm sure, getting true authentic Manny stuff directly from his people.....at a GAME no less.......is as good as it gets.

CONGRATS!!

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Andrew - I saw that Ronnie was using some of Manny's bats in this series...any news on that?

gameused
09-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Vintage,

Seen Ronnie Belliard with a blonde Manny bat, 99 was on the knob and the handle had blue tape. Do you know what brand of bat that was?

Andrew, do you know if that Phoenix bat Manny was swinging was his bat or another player, I know Mannys been using a lot of his teamates bats, including Furcal, Loney and few others.

Thanks, Bobby

allstarsplus
09-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Here is the knob of the BP bat Manny used.

allstarsplus
09-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Vintage,

Seen Ronnie Belliard with a blonde Manny bat, 99 was on the knob and the handle had blue tape. Do you know what brand of bat that was?

Andrew, do you know if that Phoenix bat Manny was swinging was his bat or another player, I know Mannys been using a lot of his teamates bats, including Furcal, Loney and few others.

Thanks, Bobby

Bobby - If you email me I will send you some Hi Res of the bat.

allstarsplus
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Andrew - I saw that Ronnie was using some of Manny's bats in this series...any news on that?

Ronnie has his distinctive tape job on the bat but would be no surprise if Ronnie was swinging some Manny lumber as he was hitting with Pujols bats earlier this year when the Cardinals came to town. ;)

allstarsplus
09-26-2009, 02:02 PM