PDA

View Full Version : Um....A-Rod "auto'd" Pacific Coast League ball....

suicide_squeeze
09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Check this out.....

Thoughts?

I didn't say laughs........I asked for "thoughts"......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230379898101&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

jetersbatboy
09-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Kinda of looks like his early carrer auto's?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=29288

centerfieldsports.com
09-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I am not the seller nor do i know the seller but that ball is 100% real

mariner_gamers
09-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Looks like a very early Alex to me.......

3arod13
09-25-2009, 03:43 AM
I can't say for the "game used" part, but the signature is a 100% early signature!

ndevlin
09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
What's so funny about the ball, SS?

bigtruck260
09-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I used to collect A-Rod stuff, and actually had a ball similar to this one 10 years ago. Looks good to me, but I'd need to see it in person.

suicide_squeeze
09-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I have some of his early sigs and I do not think this one is up to par. It's just so darn sloppy, it's comical. It looks like he signed it when he was 5 years old. I will say I do not have an opinion on whether it's fake or not.

Signed hurredly at a game?.....possibly.

It's not a ball I would want in my collection, but that's just me. Too sloppy for my liking.

ndevlin
09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
I have some of his early sigs and I do not think this one is up to par. It's just so darn sloppy, it's comical. It looks like he signed it when he was 5 years old. I will say I do not have an opinion on whether it's fake or not.

Signed hurredly at a game?.....possibly.

It's not a ball I would want in my collection, but that's just me. Too sloppy for my liking.

You should post pics of his early sigs that you have and we'll compare them.

3arod13
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
signature is a 100% early authentic signature!

ndevlin
09-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Just for once admit that you are wrong about something. Im tired of people calling out auctions and posting their names and all that nonsense, when the person has no idea what they are talking about.

You're giving your opinion...saying you dont think this one is up to par. It's just so darn sloppy, it's comical. And it looks like he signed it when he was 5 years old. Thats not looking for an opinion, that IS an opinion.

Why cant people just get on here and something like, "Hey guys, Im interested in this auction but Im not sure about the item, what do you guys think about it?" Im tired of people calling out auctions when there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It makes the seller look bad for no reason.

Mauer7
09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Suicide is kinda a douche.

CollectGU
09-26-2009, 07:30 PM

You started this thread to make fun of a ball that you thought was fake and now that is has been confirmed that it is real you are now backtracking and saying you started the thread to point out it was a sloppy?...Come on

Dave

chakes89
09-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Suicide is kinda a douche.

He just seems to be a rabble-rouser that always needs some kind of attention

suicide_squeeze
09-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Welcome to my fan club Nate.

Can I send you a t-shirt?

Chakes and or Mauer7.....I'd like to meet you guys. Going to any events in the near future? I think a handshake and some words in person are in order. Game, men?

suicide_squeeze
09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Just for once admit that you are wrong about something. Im tired of people calling out auctions and posting their names and all that nonsense, when the person has no idea what they are talking about.

You obviously don't know how to read. Where do you read the words "I think it's a FAKE"? Or are YOU just imposing your own will on the English language? Hell, if I were you, I'd consider law school. Then go apply for a job at Grey Flannel as their legal counsel. You can contrive all KINDS of good defenses for anything that arises with your common sense.

I don't like the ball. It's siged in about as careless and sloppy of penmanship as could be. If you think having an early piece like this is something to behold, hey, go for it. All I asked for was your thoughts ON THE BALL, and what I got was a set of personal attacks.

Im tired of people calling out auctions when there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It makes the seller look bad for no reason.

You think I am out to hassle the seller? What damaging remark did I make towards the seller? You need to buy a larger size of underwear, pal. Something is squeezing you a bit too tight.

My last comment to you, Nate, is I ALWAYS admit when I am wrong. I have no problem with that. Hell, I've jumped on a couple of threads here before and been wrong in a comment because I didn't read deep enough into what I was commenting about. I apologized for my error immediately, publicy, with no qualmes about it. We all at times make mistakes. You'd have to be an idiot to think of yourself as someone who goes through life with nothing to learn.

But I would like to thank you for exposing some of the garbage on the site. You know, the ones who come out and call others names, or make derrogatory comments towards others. Karma is a bitch.....I'm comfortable with leaving it at that.

chakes89
09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Welcome to my fan club Nate.

Can I send you a t-shirt?

Chakes and or Mauer7.....I'd like to meet you guys. Going to any events in the near future? I think a handshake and some words in person are in order. Game, men?
I hit myself in the leg with an ax tonight so I won't be going anywhere anytime soon

ndevlin
09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
You think I am out to hassle the seller? What damaging remark did I make towards the seller? You need to buy a larger size of underwear, pal. Something is squeezing you a bit too tight.

My last comment to you, Nate, is I ALWAYS admit when I am wrong. I have no problem with that. Hell, I've jumped on a couple of threads here before and been wrong in a comment because I didn't read deep enough into what I was commenting about. I apologized for my error immediately, publicy, with no qualmes about it. We all at times make mistakes. You'd have to be an idiot to think of yourself as someone who goes through life with nothing to learn.

But I would like to thank you for exposing some of the garbage on the site. You know, the ones who come out and call others names, or make derrogatory comments towards others. Karma is a bitch.....I'm comfortable with leaving it at that.

Nope, nothing squeezing me tight at all. I just think its crappy when people post a link to an auction(and the seller id at times) when they feel an item "could be" a bad item, and its really not.

If this were to have been my auction, and you publicly called it out like you did, Id be pissed. Like I said, something along the lines of, "Hey, I dont know about this auction, what do you guys think?", that would have been just fine. But if you dont know for a fact thats its legit or not, comments like, "It's just so darn sloppy, it's comical. It looks like he signed it when he was 5 years old." That tells me that you think the ball is fake. --If ya dont know, dont share.

Like 10 people came on here and said its real and you still think its fake, and honestly I dont know what more to tell ya. Im not even exactly sure why this thread was started. And Im not going back and fourth on here either, so Im done with this one...

Capital-Sports
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
The Arod is authentic. And i'll take a t-shirt.

3arod13
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I usually stay away from adding my two cents to threads like this, but come on guys. This isn't a high school playground. Treat each other with a little more respect.

suicide_squeeze
09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Capitol-Sports, and centerfieldsports.com,

In comparing my early balls to this one, they are substantially different. That could be that mine aren't as early as this one. But from reading the short description of the seller's, it sounds like he is claiming A-Rod was placed back on a minor league stint while rehabbing an injury. That means, as I read it, that he was already a Mariner.

Maybe the case is as I mentioned earlier, that A-Rod didn't care much about what he was doing at the moment he was approached and subsequently scribled his name accross the face of it.

But I'd like to know, the seller mentioned A-Rod was on a rehab assignment while on Tacoma, playing at a game (at Cashman field) in Las Vegas when he got the ball signed. ANY of you know what year that might have been?

suicide_squeeze
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I usually stay away from adding my two cents to threads like this, but come on guys. This isn't a high school playground. Treat each other with a little more respect.

Tony, guys like you that have class that come out and have the spine to make a decent comment like this speaks volumns. Thank you, glad you're a member.

Steve

suicide_squeeze
09-27-2009, 11:10 AM
You started this thread to make fun of a ball that you thought was fake and now that is has been confirmed that it is real you are now backtracking and saying you started the thread to point out it was a sloppy?...Come on

Dave

Hey Dave,

I don't speak with a forked tongue. If I think something is flat-out FAKE, I'll state so.

This ball, to me, is so sloppy, and larger than usual in the sig's size, and the "#3" looks so deliberate to me......that I just asked for opinions. To me, it is simply not up to par for my liking. The signature does display characteristics of an A-Rod sig, but it's so sloppy that it may be a forgery. Since no one witnessed the signing of the ball, it's all speculation. And I am leaning towards the fact it may be real. Sorry to break all the hearts of you rat-pack members. But the fact that I have to be referred to, and called out as someone who needs attention (???) because I asked for some thoughts on a sloppy ball.....is not very impressive for this site.

I am hesitating to post the pictures of my early A-Rod baseballs until I can narrow down the time frame (date) this ball was supposedly signed by A-Rod. I am not saying it wasn't, I have never said it wasn't. My early A-Rod balls DO NOT look like that. I have his second career grand slam ball, signed and dated, and it doesn't look like that sig at all. Maybe this sig is from a few years earlier....I don't know, and neither do any of you guys....the seller didn't give us a date. So, I asked for some comments, and was attacked by a rat pack.

The only thing "confirmed" here is it's business as ususl on the GUU. Say one thing someone doesn't like, or reads in a different manner, and you get mauled. Whatever, I'm man enough to take on the forum ladies.

Capital-Sports
09-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Alex played in the PCL for 32 games in 1994, 54 in 1995, and 2 in 1996.

Here are a few other early Arod autographs. I could not locate more, but these are from his minor league days.

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/0ad381bb98e07f55eeba6a96c18edcf1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-AUTO-SIGNED-1995-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-CERT_W0QQitemZ370264717219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item56357f37a3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-AUTO-SIGNED-AL-ROOKIE-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ230380975447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a3c6b557&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

flaco1801
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
hey...even if its sloppy and genuine at least its legibly... autographs nowadays are illegible... years ago you could read team ball signatures...

WadeInBmore
09-27-2009, 12:23 PM
"I hit myself in the leg with an ax tonight so I won't be going anywhere anytime soon"

Chakes!?! Oh my god really?!:eek: Can you post pics:D

wade

suicide_squeeze
09-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Here are a few other early Arod autographs. I could not locate more, but these are from his minor league days.

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/0ad381bb98e07f55eeba6a96c18edcf1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-AUTO-SIGNED-1995-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-CERT_W0QQitemZ370264717219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item56357f37a3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-AUTO-SIGNED-AL-ROOKIE-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ230380975447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a3c6b557&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That hat looks exactly like my A-Rod grand Slam jersey signature.....and here is the ball.

Not even remotely close to the ebay ball, but maybe the ebay ball was from a year or two earlier and that may make the difference?

chakes89
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
"I hit myself in the leg with an ax tonight so I won't be going anywhere anytime soon"

Chakes!?! Oh my god really?!:eek: Can you post pics:D

wade
Yes it really happened

Pics Later

Capital-Sports
09-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Yes 2 years make a big difference. If you look at Arod certified autographed cards from 94/95, you will see had about 3-4 different ways of signing. Also different ways of signing baseballs. Heck even today he has various autographs.

The ball in question, I would pass if I worked for an authentication company.
There numerous handwriting characteristics that are the same.

I would feel 100% comfortable purchasing that ball had I had interest in it.

It even sold for $80 - $90 more than other un authenticated Arod balls, so his collectors knew what it was.

suicide_squeeze
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Capitol-Sports,

You appear to have good info at your fingertips. Can you pull up which of those game, while he was on his rehab assignment, he may have played at Cashman Field in Las Vegas. I would love to narrow down the possibilities.

Not beating a dead horse, just curious for my own learning-curve. After seeing all of these other "early" ARod signed balls, his signature appears to have taken on a quick transformation at one point in history...looking to me like the point he was establishing himself as a pro on the Mariners. Any input you could share would be much appreciated.

joelsabi
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Capitol-Sports,

You appear to have good info at your fingertips. Can you pull up which of those game, while he was on his rehab assignment, he may have played at Cashman Field in Las Vegas. I would love to narrow down the possibilities.

Not beating a dead horse, just curious for my own learning-curve. After seeing all of these other "early" ARod signed balls, his signature appears to have taken on a quick transformation at one point in history...looking to me like the point he was establishing himself as a pro on the Mariners. Any input you could share would be much appreciated.

1995 was a peculiar year for pinpointing where arod was at any point in the year. his nickname could have been the human yoyo.

based on retrosheet.org i came up with

5/7/1995 - 5/25/1995 up with Mariners
5/26/1995 - 6/7/1995 down to Tacoma
6/8/1995 - 6/22/1995 Mariners
6/23/1995 - 7/20/1995 Tacoma
7/21/1995 - 8/13/1995 Mariners
8/15/1995 - 8/30/1995 Tacoma
8/31/1995 - 9/24/1995 Mariners

based on googling games in 1995 between Las Vegas Stars and the Tacoma Rainiers, I came up with brief highlights of the game and I came up with these dates. as you know box scores of minor league game are no where online.

5/27 @ vegas
5/29 @ vagas
these are possibilities

6/9 @tacoma
6/11 @ tacoma
6/12 @ tacoma
i toss these out since he was called up during this period and they are home games

7/14/1995 @tacoma
i toss these out since it was a home game

7/25/1995 @vagas
7/27/1995 @ vegas
i toss these out since he was called up

there are probably other games but nothing else came up.

So my best guess is May 27-29 in 1995. Cannot find an injury report but he was hitting .333 when he was sent to Tacoma and was back in Seattle after only 2 weeks, so maybe it was a rehab. Not sure what happened.

I found this cool article on a baseball that was buried by a player back in 1995 @ Cashman Field with ARod name on it too. Wish it had been buried deeper.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-20-Sun-2003/sports/21150620.html

joelsabi
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
1995 was a peculiar year for pinpointing where arod was at any point in the year. his nickname could have been the human yoyo.

based on retrosheet.org i came up with

5/7/1995 - 5/25/1995 up with Mariners
5/26/1995 - 6/7/1995 down to Tacoma
6/8/1995 - 6/22/1995 Mariners
6/23/1995 - 7/20/1995 Tacoma
7/21/1995 - 8/13/1995 Mariners
8/15/1995 - 8/30/1995 Tacoma
8/31/1995 - 9/24/1995 Mariners

based on googling games in 1995 between Las Vegas Stars and the Tacoma Rainiers, I came up with brief highlights of the game and I came up with these dates. as you know box scores of minor league game are no where online.

5/27 @ vegas
5/29 @ vagas
these are possibilities

6/9 @tacoma
6/11 @ tacoma
6/12 @ tacoma
i toss these out since he was called up during this period and they are home games

7/14/1995 @tacoma
i toss these out since it was a home game

7/25/1995 @vagas
7/27/1995 @ vegas
i toss these out since he was called up

there are probably other games but nothing else came up.

So my best guess is May 27-29 in 1995. Cannot find an injury report but he was hitting .333 when he was sent to Tacoma and was back in Seattle after only 2 weeks, so maybe it was a rehab. Not sure what happened.

I found this cool article on a baseball that was buried by a player back in 1995 @ Cashman Field with ARod name on it too. Wish it had been buried deeper.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-20-Sun-2003/sports/21150620.html

Suicide Squeeze,

updated dates.

5/27
5/29

6/8
6/11
6/12

7/14
7/15

7/25
7/27

dates found thru search on nwsource.com: you can tell where the game was played based on where the game was reported from.

http://search.nwsource.com/search?query=tacoma+stars+tacoma+rainiers&from=&rs=1

suicide_squeeze
10-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Joel,

That's quite some info, thanks.

I'm fairly certain from everyone's responses here that the ball is legit, but I want to contact the seller and ask a few questions. This helps. There are a few known scammers who run local sports shops in Vegas, and they are affiliated with another scam artist in Florida. ANyone here ever heard of the "Barbee" 's? I want to see if there is any connection. They have changed their ebay user name so many times, who knows what the name is now. They did so to escape the deluge of buyers who always eventually end up knocking on their door wanting their money back from discovery that what they bought was a fairly good forgery.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll let you know if I discover anything interesting.

Regards,

Steve

joelsabi
10-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Joel,

That's quite some info, thanks.

I'm fairly certain from everyone's responses here that the ball is legit, but I want to contact the seller and ask a few questions. This helps. There are a few known scammers who run local sports shops in Vegas, and they are affiliated with another scam artist in Florida. ANyone here ever heard of the "Barbee" 's? I want to see if there is any connection. They have changed their ebay user name so many times, who knows what the name is now. They did so to escape the deluge of buyers who always eventually end up knocking on their door wanting their money back from discovery that what they bought was a fairly good forgery.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll let you know if I discover anything interesting.

Regards,

Steve

not a problem. good luck.

joelsabi
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Steve,

I think I will post this before you do. Can you narrow down the time when ARod played for the Texas League.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Autographed-Alex-Rodriguez-Signed-Baseball_W0QQitemZ220499538590QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3356cbf29e

Capital-Sports
10-24-2009, 06:52 PM
The Arod ball in the link above is bogus.

3arod13
10-24-2009, 07:45 PM
The Arod ball in the link above is bogus.

100% authentic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suicide_squeeze
10-24-2009, 09:03 PM
100% authentic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony,

PLEASE tell me what you mean is "100% authentically BOGUS"......because there is NO WAY the one posted by Joel three posts back is real. (This one I will make that statement on.....the one that originated this post is, IMO, real....but darn sloppy!) ;)

It does NOT display any of the A-Rod characteristics like the one I started this thread with.

Steve

joelsabi
10-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Tony,

PLEASE tell me what you mean is "100% authentically BOGUS"......because there is NO WAY the one posted by Joel three posts back is real. (This one I will make that statement on.....the one that originated this post is, IMO, real....but darn sloppy!) ;)

It does NOT display any of the A-Rod characteristics like the one I started this thread with.

Steve

i just notice that the description of the baseball reads 1998 now. Maybe it was there prior to emailing the seller and hitting back to the auction. still does not read 1998 in the Title but does mention 1998 in the description. therefore, i do not think the item is a good addition to the original thread as it is not an early signature, which is what this thread is about.

alex rodriguez could have signed any league baseball in 1994 but the leagues that would make most sense would be league logoed baseballs for the league he had played in -- Midwest, Southern and Pacific Coast league baseballs. Rehabs if any while in Rangers and Yankees rehab would be at their AAA league affliate, which would be the PCL and Internationl League respectively.

3arod13
10-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Tony,

Steve

I am, and have been referring to the original post (baseball). Sorry for the confusion.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
10-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Tony,

Steve

Just opened the link that Joel posted. Not even on Arod's worst drunken day, could he even sign a baseball that bad. Didn't open the link until now.

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
10-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Just opened the link that Joel posted. Not even on Arod's worst drunken day, could he even sign a baseball that bad. Didn't open the link until now.

Regards, Tony

Its safe to laugh on this sig.

I just dont know what to believe in these situation: is the seller trying to pull a fast one with a sob story or were they duped by seller and trying to honestly sell the item. I emailed the seller and he points out that its obviously game used and mentions the Texas League label on the ball. No Seattle Marines affiliate played in the Texas League. He's selling for his nephew who needs some cancer treatment and who bought it from the stated dealer in the description.

its not the only questionable arod auto on ebay at this time. the one you need to be careful on right now is the 1993 and 1994 classic autographed cards that are being passed as autograph cards. Just remember that the real cards from classic are numbered on the front and have a different back than the nonautographed cards. the real autograph card have some congratulatory message such as "Congratulation you received a Classic Autographed Card " If the seller doesnt show a photo of the back side of the card in his listing, request it. ARod Buyers Beware.

case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-1993-Classic-Chromium-Auto-Rookie-1-500_W0QQitemZ360198728107QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Bas eball?hash=item53dd8469ab

I have never seen this card as a numbered autographed until this year. There are other examples. The sad part is people are buying it so the seller will make another one.

3arod13
10-25-2009, 10:13 AM

I just dont know what to believe in these situation: is the seller trying to pull a fast one with a sob story or were they duped by seller and trying to honestly sell the item. I emailed the seller and he points out that its obviously game used and mentions the Texas League label on the ball. No Seattle Marines affiliate played in the Texas League. He's selling for his nephew who needs some cancer treatment and who bought it from the stated dealer in the description.

its not the only questionable arod auto on ebay at this time. the one you need to be careful on right now is the 1993 and 1994 classic autographed cards that are being passed as autograph cards. Just remember that the real cards from classic are numbered on the front and have a different back than the nonautographed cards. the real autograph card have some congratulatory message such as "Congratulation you received a Classic Autographed Card " If the seller doesnt show a photo of the back side of the card in his listing, request it. ARod Buyers Beware.

case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-1993-Classic-Chromium-Auto-Rookie-1-500_W0QQitemZ360198728107QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Bas eball?hash=item53dd8469ab

I have never seen this card as a numbered autographed until this year. There are other examples. The sad part is people are buying it so the seller will make another one.

Joel,

I am very familiar with Arod's signature from 1993 to present. The signature on the ball you posted is not good. I've seen many Arod fast signed and sloppy signed items, and none were ever as bad as than. Especially "R" in Rodriguez.

This card you post is definatley a later signature and not from 93-94. I agree that if they don't have the congratulatory comment on the back, I personally wouldn't touch it as an 93-94 signed card. But the signature is good, but signed at a later date.

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
10-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Joel,

I am very familiar with Arod's signature from 1993 to present. The signature on the ball you posted is not good. I've seen many Arod fast signed and sloppy signed items, and none were ever as bad as than. Especially "R" in Rodriguez.

This card you post is definatley a later signature and not from 93-94. I agree that if they don't have the congratulatory comment on the back, I personally wouldn't touch it as an 93-94 signed card. But the signature is good, but signed at a later date.

Regards, Tony

Tony,

When I first saw this card I had to do a double take since there are some legit low numbered classic artist proof autographed cards out there. Then I had to email a friend of mine who really knows all his cards and said the same thing as you did. She had never seen the card before and said to stay away. If its not on her checklist by now why would it suddenly appear. So maybe it really was signed and then the seller did the fake numbering later.

Regards,

Joel

Hopefully the game doesn't get postpone again. Go Yankees!

3arod13
10-25-2009, 12:33 PM

case in point:

Just another reason why this is such a great forum.

Auction reads: This baseball was acquired from the private collection of "Just Super Stars Plus More Inc."--a privately owned promotion company. Mr. Ray Duffy serves as president and provides the certificate of authenticity.

I emailed the seller and advised the signature wasn't legit. Offerred them the website for a PSA/DNA QuickOpionion.

Their response: My newphew acquired it from a "friend" who owed him money. I was only trying to help him out.

Auction cancelled.

Regards, Tony

WadeInBmore
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm glad that this thread continues to grow as I think infact it is educating everyone that reads it. I just wanted to add to it as I see the interesting bit about an Arod Auto on a card with fake numbering. This reminded me of a Frank Thomas card that was issued in 1991 by Arena...it was a hologram front and the back features a young Frank in a tux...while about four variation exhist in the card collecting hobby the most notable are the ones signed by Thomas and then numbered by someone else (Arena employee?). Basically it wouldn't be the first time someone added a numbered inscription to an autographed card.

Pic of the Numbered Card-
http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-ARENA-HOLOGRAM-AUTO-FRANK-THOMAS-3-CARD-1250_W0QQitemZ250499405906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ba seball?hash=item3a52ed9852#ht_500wt_956

Arena Holograms
Certified Autograph
With "35" Notation
Not entirely sure which version is more "rare". But it does seem that most (but not all) of the early portion of the 1,250 autographs contains the now familiar "35" under Frank's sig, while the latter portion (higher numbers) do not.

The questions are: When did he stop adding his playing number? And how many did he sign with and without the '35'. (And remember: He didn't add the numbers to the card bottoms - that was done by Arena Holograms afterwards)

I own #739, and I've seen #'s 724, 1083 and 1227 without the '35', suggesting that the 'withouts' are somewhat less abundant. It's likely he grew tired during signing session. And based on my observations - the majority of "without 35s" seem to start in the 700's. I also own five of the early versions, numbered from 74-250, and they all have the '35' under the auto.

But I'm not sure it can be accurately categorized unless someone makes a factual, and confirmable, database. Let's just say that two versions exist and leave it at that.

wade