PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Hill Gamer? Opinions wanted! Photos added

jfbrens
09-24-2009, 06:32 AM
This is a potential Calvin Hill gamer I have considered purchasing. It is from the late 60's or early 70's. Dureen jersey with extra length. Allegedly given to member of press after a game. Dark stains are dirt and what appears to be a small amount of dried blood. Have at it - any and all ideas are appreciated! Keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone needs any extra pics let me know. Thanks in advance.
Joe

Moustache Gang
09-24-2009, 09:22 AM
JF,

I saw the jersey on ebay and I stayed away not because it is a legitimate Cowboys jersey, but the staining to me did not look like it came from a game. It is always hard to tell when you do not have the jersey in front of you, but some of the black near the sleeve looked like axle grease or black grease of some type. I emailed the seller and he advised me it was blood stains. I just was not buying it. Not that he is trying to pull a fast one, maybe he was jsut uniformed, but when he stated all the stains were blood stains, I was just too hard for me to believe.

If the stains can be attributed to game wear then you did indeed get a great purchase. If they are some type of grease stain, paint, shoe polish or some other type of substance other than what would come from a football game, then I believe the jersey is not worth what you paid.

Go to www.ha.com (http://www.ha.com) and look under their previous cowboys jerseys that have gone to auction. They have quite a few from that era and you can see their condition and what price they achieved.

Mark

jfbrens
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I can say it is definately not grease. Dirt and a light red markings. I was a little hesitant due to the overall great condition of the jersey but who knows - maybe only used for a game or two. Some of the stitching is peeled slightly in some areas. Do you think it is a game issued Dallas jersey at the least? How would you recommend getting it authenticated one way or the other?

Dewey2007
09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Here goes a photo of Calvin Hill from a 1969 wirephoto I have. It doesn't look close to this season's style jersey.

jfbrens
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree it doesn't look like that particular jersey. I'm assuming you're talking about the sleeve length. I have several photos of him in the short sleeve jersey. I'm not sure what year this particular jersey is from. On most of his topps cowboys cards he is in the short sleeve. My thing, and I am an amateur to be sure, but if it was a replica why would it have all the extra length too?

both-teams-played-hard
09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
This jersey is NOT a replica. Southland did not make replicas for the retail market at this time.

both-teams-played-hard
09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
My thing, and I am an amateur to be sure, but if it was a replica why would it have all the extra length too?
How are you sure there is extra length? 48XL means size 48, extra large.

5kRunner
09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Getty has pics of Hill in the shorter sleeves.

jfbrens
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Well we know its not the game jersey from the picture above! :) I think the XL might be extra length and not extra large. I am assuming this cause if I hold it up to my body (I'm 5'10") that sucker hangs down to almost my knees. It is definately long for a regular jersey of that size. So where do I go from here as far as authentication? Again, I'm a novice really. Seems like there's mixed opinion on it. Here is another pic I located in the short sleeves.

jfbrens
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh and what is Getty? A site you can look up old NFL pics I'm assuming?

nickacs
09-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh and what is Getty? A site you can look up old NFL pics I'm assuming?

www.GettyImages.com

The biggest site in worldwide digital media images. The site is invaluable to any collector looking to style and more importantly photo-match a jersey.

I usually type in the athletes name and year of the jersey and wa-la, images at my fingertips :) Sometimes you get a lot of images, of course depending upon the athlete (ie. Michael Jordan you can find millions) and sometimes you don't. Depends on their popularity and the year(s) your looking for.

There's a thread I bookmarked that people listed all the useful picture sites they go on. Getty, Corbis, Flickr, Photobucket, etc etc..