PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel & Steiner Sports now partners

nickacs
09-23-2009, 08:22 PM
For those interested, got this email today:

In an unprecedented joint promotion, it is with great pride that Grey Flannel Auctions announces plans to partner with our colleagues at Steiner Sports. With the closing of the old Yankee Stadium and the opening of the new Cathedral in the Bronx, Grey Flannel Auctions and Steiner Sports have joined marketing forces for our auctions culminating this December.
In addition to the unbelievable game-used jerseys and quality memorabilia you have come to expect from Grey Flannel in our auctions, Steiner Sports, the leader in their field, will be given their own section in our upcoming December 9, 2009 Holiday Auction, adding approximately 200 tremendous lots. This section will include Yankees-Steiner game-used jerseys of Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, to name a few as well as dozens of unique autographed pieces that Steiner Sports has produced and marketed to perfection.
Already consigned to Grey Flannel’s auction are Mickey Mantle’s batting helmet, a Thurman Munson Game-Used Bicentennial bat, Yogi Berra’s catcher’s mask and a 1977 Billy Martin Managers Worn Jersey, just to name a few. There is little doubt that this auction is destined for greatness. Now with the addition of Steiner, it is absolutely monumental. Think it can’t get better? IT CAN! You can add your treasured keepsakes and top notch memorabilia to this once in a lifetime auction.

suicide_squeeze
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/couchsleep.gif

murfsteve25
09-24-2009, 01:23 AM
"Mickey Mantle’s batting helmet, a Thurman Munson Game-Used Bicentennial bat, Yogi Berra’s catcher’s mask and a 1977 Billy Martin Managers Worn Jersey"

So in other words...if your the average Joe, here are a few items that you will never aquire.

hblakewolf
09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
For those interested, got this email today:

In an unprecedented joint promotion, it is with great pride that Grey Flannel Auctions announces plans to partner with our colleagues at Steiner Sports. With the closing of the old Yankee Stadium and the opening of the new Cathedral in the Bronx, Grey Flannel Auctions and Steiner Sports have joined marketing forces for our auctions culminating this December.
In addition to the unbelievable game-used jerseys and quality memorabilia you have come to expect from Grey Flannel in our auctions, Steiner Sports, the leader in their field, will be given their own section in our upcoming December 9, 2009 Holiday Auction, adding approximately 200 tremendous lots. This section will include Yankees-Steiner game-used jerseys of Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, to name a few as well as dozens of unique autographed pieces that Steiner Sports has produced and marketed to perfection.
Already consigned to Grey Flannel’s auction are Mickey Mantle’s batting helmet, a Thurman Munson Game-Used Bicentennial bat, Yogi Berra’s catcher’s mask and a 1977 Billy Martin Managers Worn Jersey, just to name a few. There is little doubt that this auction is destined for greatness. Now with the addition of Steiner, it is absolutely monumental. Think it can’t get better? IT CAN! You can add your treasured keepsakes and top notch memorabilia to this once in a lifetime auction.

Whatever happened to the relationship Steiner had with this site, Game Used Universe? Last year, Steiner had a banner ad on the top of the page and I was led to believe they somehow partnered with GUU to provide items to this auction?

On a related note, what became of the various advertisement on this site, including the above mentioned Steiner, rob Steinmetz (Authentic Gamers) and others? Is advertising no longer allowed or did the advertisers not see any type of return for their money?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

nickacs
09-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry Suicide, I know it's boring :) lol.. I'm not a baseball collector, but just figured for those to do, let them know that looks like Steiner has collaborated with the "Dark Side"! haha... Not trying to premote/advertise for Steiner/GF..

markize
09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Whatever happened to the relationship Steiner had with this site, Game Used Universe? Last year, Steiner had a banner ad on the top of the page and I was led to believe they somehow partnered with GUU to provide items to this auction?

On a related note, what became of the various advertisement on this site, including the above mentioned Steiner, rob Steinmetz (Authentic Gamers) and others? Is advertising no longer allowed or did the advertisers not see any type of return for their money?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net (hblakewolf@comcast.net)

Howard,

I'm just guessing, but I think the banner ad Rob Steinmetz had was temporarly replaced to advertise the GUU fall auction (side note to Chris---when's the auction preview going to be available?). I really dont remember seeing a Steiner banner. might have missed it though.

my question is, why is Steiner pairing with Grey Flannel. instead of collection buyers premiums, and charging sellers premiums, they are just going to pay out to sell their merchandise. dont the steiner auctions garner enough attention? with the record grey flannel has gotten from items picked apart on this forum, i'm shocked they would go that route.

mark

suicide_squeeze
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry Suicide, I know it's boring :) lol.. I'm not a baseball collector, but just figured for those to do, let them know that looks like Steiner has collaborated with the "Dark Side"! haha... Not trying to premote/advertise for Steiner/GF..

nickacs,

Just so you know, in no way was I insinuating your post was "boring" or uneducational. Actually, that was some serious news, thanks for posting it.

I am just one that believes that Steiner has charged over-the-top exorbitant prices for basically everything they have ever sold......and on rare occasion, exceeded anyone and everyone's dream of just how badly they can actually ream a collector for a signature.

Case in point, I know someone who was charged $2,000 to have a game-used jersey signed by the "one-time" signing they did originally with Mark McGwire. On top of that, they charged another $500.00 for an added "98" inscription added to it (yes, it was a 98 jersey). They "justified it" by telling this poor guy that Mark absolutely refused to sign ANY game used items for the $1,000 (or whatever the asking price was) a signature for a jersey price McGwire was getting for that signing. They called the guy back, and told him they "negotiated" with Mark, but he'll ONLY DO IT THIS ONE TIME, for 2K, plus 500 for the inscription. Beat that, folks! Yes, I know the guy could have said no, but he wanted it signed......so there ya go.

Add to that the fact that Grey Flannel has a truly amazing list of clientel that continue to buy from their auctions.....that obviously have absolutely NO IDEA what they are buying, or how to properly do their own homework.....HEY, Steiners auctions haven't been doing so well, so they wanted IN!!

Plus, they're both in New York, so the brainstorming meeting would be convenient to set up locally.......to exchange and share expertise on how to maximize exorbitant prices on "stuff" with clientel who apparently have just one thing in common......they're FANS of sports.......it's a match made in heaven for both, I gather.

In any case, I am simply stating my OPINION, and it could just be that they both have a common cousin named "Vinny"......

I don't know nuttin.;)

metsbats
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Grey Flannel has featured Yankee Steiner items in their auctions for years and some of the auctions themes were dedicated to Yankee Steiner (or YS as they call it). In fact the Yankee Steiner logo appeared on the back covers of some of the auction books. No surprise this happened it was just a matter for time.