PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Oct auction items - Marino/Magic jersey questions

nickacs
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone-
In the current Heritage Auctions, there's two jerseys that interest me, but I am unfamiliar with both in terms of what to look for (ie anything special).

- 1994 Marino road blue 75th anniv. jersey with equipment mngr letter:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=716&Lot_No=82274
I've seen so many over the last couple years and just not sure what to look for with his style/custom jersey. I'm not a huge NFL jersey collector, but someday I'd like to own some great HOF'ers and Marino is definitely one of them, especially from the '94 75 anniv season.

- Circa '84-85 Magic Johnson Tierman home gold jersey:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=716&Lot_No=82234
I pretty know what to look for in modern era NBA jerseys, but the older ones, esp Laker Tierman ones, I don't know what else to look for other than the style/letter placements on the jersey. I scoured Getty's and there's not too many pics, especially any straight-on shots of the back.

I guess what's kinda odd is that in the last year there have been 3 early-mid 80's Magic Tierman jerseys for sale/auction. SCP currently, AMI last year and REA. The REA and SCP are the same jersey. May all be coincidence perhaps, but would think any early 80's Magic jersey is pretty rare unlike the early-mid 90's ones you see all the time. I noticed the SCP/REA one differs from the AMI/HA one with respect to NOB positioning.

Any info/opinions would be great! Thanks...

JackHE
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I believe I may have owned the Marino at one time. A question that I would ask though is the wording of the letter from the equipment mgr. The letter that accompanied the jersey (if the same jersey) stated that the jersey was worn in a PRESEASON game. Not that anyone is trying to pull a fast one but that might be a big deal to bidders.

JE

mfsquirrelmaster
09-23-2009, 04:58 AM
I believe that Marino jersey was auctioned through vintage authentics awhile back and I think there is a thread discussing it. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

nickacs
09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jack & mfs for the info!

Jack - I asked HA for the letter and it is exactly the same one in the Vintage auction previous that mfs mentioned. The letter does say used in the regular season, but who knows for sure I guess.

mfs - Yup, the HA jersey is the same exact one as in the VA one, same letter and all. Thanks for the heads up and I found the GUU thread that explains inconsistencies and matched the 75anniv logo myself on Getty's to see the auction jersey placement does differ with the actual game worn pics. Too bad, as I really liked to have a nice game-used Marino. I guess another time!

Oh, and BIG thanks for Lund for the heads up and extremely helpful info on the early Magic jersey. Another dud, so glad I was able to find that old MEARS/Magic thread and contacted Lund. BIG thanks so that I didn't make a $4k+ mistake :)

Thanks again to all. That is why I love this forum! :D