PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose using red or "rose colored Mizuno bats

anatfan09
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Did Pete rose ever actually use red or "rose" colored Mizuno bats? I have seen a few past auction results of these colored Mizuno bats being sold as game used but I cannot locate any photos of him actually using this type of bat. Could these have been batting practice bats?

suicide_squeeze
09-21-2009, 10:59 PM
It is my understanding that color was banned from game use by MLB....so you probably will have no luck finding a picture of him using it in a regular season game.

anatfan09
09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I just obtained one of those "rose" colored or pink Mizuno bats. This one appears identical to one found in past Lelands auction & there is also a similar bat that was sold awhile back on AMI. The bat has a Mizuno cup sticker on the bottom of the knob, was obviously not game used. You can feel through the sticker that there is some sort of stamping underneath. The model is a R3631. Here is the link to the Lelands. Any thoughts? Think I may have found a photo of him with one of this style in batting practice.
http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=412&lot=1191

tacprc
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Pete Rose started using a rose-colored Mizuno bat in March, 1981.

I have heard that, during a game between the Phillies and Giants, San Francisco manager Frank Robinson complained about the bat because it did not conform to MLB color regulations (Rule 1.10d). The home plate umpire seized the bat, and N.L. President Chub Feeney subsequently ruled that it did indeed fall afoul of the rules. (Note: Today, players may freely use bats of this color. H&B calls this color Galen.)

I am not sure whether this incident occured in spring training or the regular season. The Phils first game with the Giants was on May 2, 1981.

Chuck, tacprc@yahoo.com

ironmanfan
09-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Pete Rose started using a rose-colored Mizuno bat in March, 1981.

I have heard that, during a game between the Phillies and Giants, San Francisco manager Frank Robinson complained about the bat because it did not conform to MLB color regulations (Rule 1.10d). The home plate umpire seized the bat, and N.L. President Chub Feeney subsequently ruled that it did indeed fall afoul of the rules. (Note: Today, players may freely use bats of this color. H&B calls this color Galen.)

I am not sure whether this incident occured in spring training or the regular season. The Phils first game with the Giants was on May 2, 1981.

Chuck, tacprc@yahoo.com (tacprc@yahoo.com[/font])

It would have to have been a regular season game as the Phillies and Giants don't face each other in Spring Training (Florida/Ariz.)

anatfan09
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Here is another link to a completed auction of a similar "pink" Mizuno, appears to be the same color & was authenticated. Rose must of really had some variation in the number of tape rings he used over the years.
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=27563&aucsearch=pete%20rose%20game%20used&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&period=

Neal
12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I am looking for one of these bats - send me a pm or an email to nkane9@comcast.net if one is available.

Thanks

chuey1997
03-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Is this what I have here? Everything matches up but the bat to me doesn't look pink? Sorry I'm a novice with bats. But looking at the comps, looks like I may truly have something here. I paid $133 plus 15% for the entire hunt lot.

Birdbats
03-03-2015, 09:47 PM
I have one that supposedly was gifted by Pete to a Busch Stadium clubbie. However, mine is a PR3631 (not R3631), doesn't have the decal, and doesn't have Mizuno on the back of the barrel. Clearly not used, but numbered on both ends. Though it was sold as a game bat, I've always wondered if it's just a souvenir bat. Whatever it is, it's a good looking rose/galen bat with a nice sig.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Bats/RosePeteMIZPR3631.jpg

anatfan09
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Without the "A" I'm not sure this was game issued. It looks like one that was part of a 3-4 pack commemorative set that was produced in the 90's. They were all signed examples of his Mizuno bats. There was 100% the letter "A" stamped under the sticker on the bat I posted. Wish I still had it.