PDA

View Full Version : Non-Steiner star Yankees g/u jerseys

skipcareyisfat
05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
In looking at the current Historic Auctions auction there are quite a few current star Yankees g/u jerseys available and, from what I've seen, none seem to have come from Steiner. LOAs include Lampson, much like Bricol Sports Yanks stuff. I was under the impression that Steiner had an exclusive deal with them. Is it possible that a lot of recent star shirts didn't go through Steiner?

As a side note, I'll never understand why auctions like this spend so much time using descriptions like:

Wether you love him or hate him, Barry Bonds is aruably the best all around baseball player the game has ever seen.Barry has won a record seven MVP Awards over the course of his career, the majority of which were awarded during what would have been the waning years of a typical player's career. Statistically speaking, Bonds along with Babe Ruth and Ted Williams are typically regarded as the top three hitters in the history of the game. He is the only player in baseball history to have hit at least 500 home runs and stolen at least 500 bases. No other player has even achieved 400-400. Additionally, Bonds has won eight Gold Gloves for his defensive prowess in left field.He holds many MLB records, including most home runs in a single season with an astonishing 73. Barry Bonds has his sights locked on Hank Aaron's career home run mark which he is constantly inching closer to, if he can break it, look for his autographs and memorabilia to skyrocket as he reaches baseball immortality. This batting helmet shows great use including pine tar in several areas on the top and sweat stains inside around the brim.

How about telling me more about the actual item you want me to buy, like the size or specific markings? And what about another picture or two? By now, how many collectors don't know about Barry's or whoever's accomplishments. Enough with the stats already. Quite honestly, I've seen a lot of eBay auctions that provide better info and pictures that some auction houses.

Jason

psmachetti
05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Not that my opinion carries any weight but I believe they're just trying to steer away from providing too much information about the jersey that could prove it to be a fake or at the very least raise questions w/possible bidders. Distract buyers w/all this crap about the players accomplishments , sellers opinions on players place in baseball history , then there's little room left to actually describe the jersey. These auction houses sell too many items that are just signed off by these "expert authenticators " like Lou lampson and they turn out to be bogus.
paul

HistoricAuctions
05-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Not that my opinion carries any weight but I believe they're just trying to steer away from providing too much information about the jersey that could prove it to be a fake or at the very least raise questions w/possible bidders. Distract buyers w/all this crap about the players accomplishments , sellers opinions on players place in baseball history , then there's little room left to actually describe the jersey. These auction houses sell too many items that are just signed off by these "expert authenticators " like Lou lampson and they turn out to be bogus.
paul

Paul:
If you read his post, he's talking about a batting helmet and not a jersey (in regards to the description). We describe the player's accomplishments (in addition to describing and photographing the item) because the majority of our bidders are not on Game Used Forum and are also interested in the player themselves.

Rather than just make blanket remarks about auction houses, feel free to ask specific questions about any of the items. We have a link at the bottom of every single one of our items that allows you to ask a question about an item, or you can email me directly: james@historicauctions.com

Jason:
If there is a specific jersey you have a question about or would like more detail regarding, please let me know.

In regards to the helmet, I'll have more picture posted later today and I'll have one of the writers add additional information.

Let me know if there are any other items you are interested in or would like more information about.

BULBUS
05-31-2006, 01:26 PM
i will never buy a yankees jersey from around 2000 or later without a steiner letter. you see people selling these "pro-cut" yankees jerseys and people paying stupid money for them. i think there is a reason people pay so much for these jerseys. but that has been discussed before.

and i agree 100% about the awful descriptions! i consigned a bat with american memorabilia. the bat was a team signed game used rawlings bat. ami didn't mention all of the players on the bat and most of all they didnt even mention the info stamped into the knob. they just wrote about team accomplishments. needless to say, the bat didnt do so well. i had the same problem with another item i consigned with them. i will never consign with ami again!

ATTN: AUCTION HOUSES

WE KNOW ABOUT THE PLAYERS ACCOMPLISHMENTS. PLEASE DESCRIBE THE ITEM!

skipcareyisfat
05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
James,
Thanks for the response. I won't bury this topic too much further, but wouldn't you admit that a good description for every item - not just ones that are randomly pointed out - isn't just fair to your consignors, it's more convenient for bidders? Far be it from me to tell you how to run your business, so please don't take it that way. I appreciate your willingness to talk about this. Bottom line, so what if someone reads or sees something that doesn't look right. Just give us a chance to know what we're looking at. Good luck with the auction.
Jason

HistoricAuctions
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
i will never buy a yankees jersey from around 2000 or later without a steiner letter. you see people selling these "pro-cut" yankees jerseys and people paying stupid money for them. i think there is a reason people pay so much for these jerseys. but that has been discussed before.

and i agree 100% about the awful descriptions! i consigned a bat with american memorabilia. the bat was a team signed game used rawlings bat. ami didn't mention all of the players on the bat and most of all they didnt even mention the info stamped into the knob. they just wrote about team accomplishments. needless to say, the bat didnt do so well. i had the same problem with another item i consigned with them. i will never consign with ami again!

ATTN: AUCTION HOUSES

WE KNOW ABOUT THE PLAYERS ACCOMPLISHMENTS. PLEASE DESCRIBE THE ITEM!

I understand that you might know about the players' accomplishments, but that doesn't mean every single person that reads our catalog or views our website does.

Again, as I said before, we have a link on every single auction item that allows you to ask a question about that specific item. If you would like more details, just ask.

That being said, this isn't an excuse not to describe the item properly. I think there is a balance between describing the players' accomplishments and describing the item. Use the "Ask A Question" link if we are lacking in either area...

HistoricAuctions
05-31-2006, 03:36 PM
James,
Thanks for the response. I won't bury this topic too much further, but wouldn't you admit that a good description for every item - not just ones that are randomly pointed out - isn't just fair to your consignors, it's more convenient for bidders? Far be it from me to tell you how to run your business, so please don't take it that way. I appreciate your willingness to talk about this. Bottom line, so what if someone reads or sees something that doesn't look right. Just give us a chance to know what we're looking at. Good luck with the auction.
Jason

I agree with you. Having a good description of each item is of utmost importance. We are actually in the process of reviewing all the descriptions to ensure that they are up to the high standards we have. If you find any that aren't what you think they should be or have a specific question, use the link on the auciton, or email me directly: james@historicauctions.com (of if there is anything else I can assist you with).

allstarsplus
05-31-2006, 03:38 PM

They have some amazing ARod items on there. One of the ARod 2005 Yankees game issued jerseys states there is a Steiner COA, and it is good that it is not being passed off as game used.

I personally buy Yankee jerseys direct from Steiner, but I have always been curious on how tight the Yankees inventory control is. On the game used Yankees jerseys, I would agree to use caution, but don't some of the players like Alex and Derek get some of their own jerseys?

porsche544
05-31-2006, 03:40 PM
THERE IS ONE AUCTION HOUSE THAT ACTUALLY PROVIDES A COPY OF THE LOA/COA OF THEIR GAME USED ITEMS ONLINE. WWW.VINTAGEAUTHENTICS.COM ANY OTHER MAJOR AUCTIONS HOUSES WOULD HAVE A DESCRIPTION SUCH AS LAMPSON LOA ETC. EXAMPLE (AMI). IS THE AUCTION HOUSE TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING? IF I'M SPENDING $1000-$5000 ON AN ITEM, I'D LIKE TO SEE THE ACTUAL LOA. WOULD ANYONE AGREE TO THIS?

trsent
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
You folks are out of line on one topic:

It is not your catalog or web-site - Who cares if they list the accomplishments of a player to promote possibly bidding? This is common advertising and if you don't like it, shop elsewhere.

This is a common advertising practice, and it will promote sales in the long run. If you need more of a description of the item, email or call the auction house.

Best!