PDA

View Full Version : Finally...the Ripken bat has returned to my collection!

Dewey2007
09-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Over 20 years ago I gave my good friend a rookie era Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat. I was out of collecting at the time and Ripken was his favorite player/hero. Safe to say when I gave it to him I had no idea Ripken would go on to have the career he had. Long story short I recently got an email from my friend who I hadn't heard from in a long time. I mentioned to him that I got back into collecting and he ended up giving the bat back to me to have for my collection. Said he was thankful I let him have it for all these years.

It's a 35 inch, 34 oz LVS M159 model bat that was used during the 1982 season when he was A.L. ROY. The bat only has Cal Ripken on the barrel which I though was pretty cool and was told by Vince Malta that Jr. was added sometime during the following season. He also indicated that he only ordered 39 of this style bat that season. (Thanks for taking the time to talk to me today Vince!!)

I don't collect Ripken so not sure what I'll end up doing with it but I just wanted to share the story and the bat since I know there are a number of Orioles and Ripken collectors on the forum.

ironmanfan
09-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Great bat & story Dewey (can I be your new best friend?)

shoremen44
09-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Awesome looking bat

thegoodz15
09-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Mr Dewey.....i Have Been Collecting Game Used Bats Since 1984....im Interested In The Cal Game Used Bat.....thanx So Much Scott 561 395 7742

Dewey2007
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey Mr Dewey.....i Have Been Collecting Game Used Bats Since 1984....im Interested In The Cal Game Used Bat.....thanx So Much Scott 561 395 7742

Hi Scott, I'm not looking to sell the bat at this time but if and when I do I'll let you know. Thanks for the interest.

Dewey

suicide_squeeze
09-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Dewey,

Knowing what we all know now about the fairytale career Cal Jr. had, what would you estimate the bat is worth....that is, if you have an idea? Just a ballpark estimate...

Trust me, I'm not trying to test your bat-pricing abilities. I believe I have one of these bats too, and I am seriously interested as I bought mine a LONG time ago too. Going to dig through my bats now...

Thanks,

Steve

Dewey2007
09-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Dewey,

Knowing what we all know now about the fairytale career Cal Jr. had, what would you estimate the bat is worth....that is, if you have an idea? Just a ballpark estimate...

Trust me, I'm not trying to test your bat-pricing abilities. I believe I have one of these bats too, and I am seriously interested as I bought mine a LONG time ago too. Going to dig through my bats now...

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

My ballpark estimate is between 3-4K although certain factors could make it worth more. As always the price is dependent on what someone is willing to pay at a given time. For what it's worth I looked up Ripken bats on SCD's Auction Database and a Ripken rookie era bat sold for $3,819 in a 2007 REA Auction. I think the same bat went for $3,691 a few months later in a Mastro Auction. It was a bat from his Rochester Redwings days authenticated to 1981. His earliest known gamer sold for $12,131 through Mastro in 2007 as well. Let us know what you find.

Dewey

Swoboda4
09-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Hold on to that bat with both hands. With all the bad stories going around in regard to steroids you never know when your favorite player (or his game used items) will turn to mush. But Ripken,Gwynn,Griffey Jr will ,I believe, endure.
My own funny Ripken (not realizing how good he would be) story involved baseball cards. My son bought an old pack of Upper Deck cards that he opened and won a redemption card for a Sammy Sosa game used autographed bat piece. It had just expired but we sent it in anyway. Four months later we received a package from Upper Deck. Inside contained a letter and 2 cards sealed and wrapped. The letter was very apoligetic in explaining that they had no more Sosa cards in their inventory. And"....please accept these two cards which we hope equals the value of the Sosa... and is to your satifaction..thank you for purchasing Upper Deck cards...." The package was opened to find two autographed Cal Ripken cards. My son was slightly dissapointed then but needless to say is extremely happy now.