PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Harwell Night

skyking26
09-17-2009, 11:47 AM
The Tigers honored broadcasting legend and Detroit icon Ernie Harwell last night with an onfield ceremony tribute. Nice, but being a Wednesday and crowds a bit thin in September I thought it a bit odd of a choice. It would have been a better choice to at least make it a weekend game where the crowds where heavier? Just my thoughts.

I've met him on many occasions and he has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer. It is just a matter of time. Very sad. He deserved a better tribute I thought. Class act, Detroit and the Tigers have been so fortunate to have him for so long...

RK

Mauer7
09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
And if he didnt make it until the weekend? Then what?

suave1477
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Just a bit of trivia!!!

Ernie is the only announcer in baseball history to be traded for a player!!!

skyking26
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
And if he didnt make it until the weekend? Then what?
It's not quite that bad...but bad. I just thought a dim Wed. night with low crowds was a bit cheesy. I expected some comments like this. I think Ernie is class and I want the best for people I respect, that is all, simply put. A weekend game would have been much better and I think most would agree with that assessment.

dcrules01
09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I am going to a viewing tonight for a friend who lost her mother this past Mon to cancer. She was diagnossed 2 weeks ago today. I also lost my father to cancer 8 yrs ago he survived a year after he was diagnossed. So you never know.

skyking26
09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I am going to a viewing tonight for a friend who lost her mother this past Mon to cancer. She was diagnossed 2 weeks ago today. I also lost my father to cancer 8 yrs ago he survived a year after he was diagnossed. So you never know.
A friend just lost her 47 year old husband to cancer. He was diagnosed in August and lasted 30 days. I agree, you never you...