PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary to ‘Charlie Hustle’!!!

schubert1970
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Found this on a blog and wanted to share.

I want this to be the number on my paycheck. I want this to be the number of Andre Dawson baseball cards that I own. Hell, I would even take this number as a lottery prize.
Instead, I count this number as the single greatest individual accomplishment in baseball!!!
On this day in 1985, Pete Rose broke the Major League record for most career hits with 4,192.
I remember watching this game live on TV with my dad when I was just 9 years old. Before the Internet and before Sportscenter became a mainstream media outlet, people tuned into games like this to witness history. Both my dad and I joined the packed stadium and gave Rose a standing ovation as he became the greatest hitter baseball had ever seen.
Happy Anniversary to ‘Charlie Hustle’!!!

33bird
09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Well said.

schubert1970
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm going to do this every year. Way to go Charlie Hustle, I hope I'll be able to catch some highlights of the festivities at the Reds game today.

4256!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you Jeter fans that thought he had a chance to catch Rose......forget it. This record will never be broken.

Jags Fan Dan
09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm taking my old man to the game tonight, there is to be a ceremony before t he game to commemorate this date and Pete will be there!

both-teams-played-hard
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Of all the players that have ever laced up the spikes, put on the jersey and have played Major League Baseball: Pete Rose is one of them.

camarokids
09-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Let Rose back in ! He should be in the HOF!

justinwc80
09-11-2010, 08:14 PM
We are a country of forgiveness, it's time, let him be alive for his enshrinement Bud, do something positive for the game, let Pete in!

legaleagle92481
09-12-2010, 10:08 AM
He violated baseball's supreme rule and despite his achievements does not deserve to get in for deterance purposes. A manager greatly effects the outcome of a game from who is batting in what spot, decising whether to rest someone in a game, who starts, who is brought in as a reliever, etc. Managers betting on the games they manage is dangerous. The Hall is not filled with saints but most off the field stuff does not effect the game the way betting can. Shoeless Joe is out with him so it is not like he is alone.

joelsabi
09-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Found this on a blog and wanted to share.

I want this to be the number on my paycheck. I want this to be the number of Andre Dawson baseball cards that I own. Hell, I would even take this number as a lottery prize.
Instead, I count this number as the single greatest individual accomplishment in baseball!!!
On this day in 1985, Pete Rose broke the Major League record for most career hits with 4,192.
I remember watching this game live on TV with my dad when I was just 9 years old. Before the Internet and before Sportscenter became a mainstream media outlet, people tuned into games like this to witness history. Both my dad and I joined the packed stadium and gave Rose a standing ovation as he became the greatest hitter baseball had ever seen.
Happy Anniversary to ‘Charlie Hustle’!!!

You cannot beat a fond sports memory shared with your dad. Rose was a gamer, a throwback, a hustler.

tacprc
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Put Pete in the Hall of Fame!