PDA

View Full Version : MLB Man Caught at CitiField

rmichne
09-10-2009, 08:16 PM
This is my first attempt at post with photos. Hope it works out ok.

I was at CitiField 9/9/09 and caught the MLB Authenticator doing his job. He was sitting to the right of the Mets dugout and was fed a steady diet of GU baseballs from 'Jimmy' the ballboy. Note the close-ups of the roll of MLB Holograms and accompanying barcodes. After applying the hologram to the ball he would attach the barcode to a notebook where he could log more details about the ball. He also seemed to have a small barcode reader with a keypad attached. Sorry for the blurry photo of him actually sticking the hologram on the ball.

We passed each other on the steps towards the end of the game and I looked at him, smiled and said "MLB Man." He smiled back and patted me on the back as we passed each other.

I thought you guys would like to see him in action. Hope you enjoy them.

Ron

emann
09-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Wait... isn't that Lou Lampson?!?! ;)

Seriously, thanks for posting those photos, it's a cool insight into the MLB auth process...

metsbats
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I often wondered how the game used balls that Amazing Memorabilia sells can definitively be attributed to a certain at bat and what the player did,etc. Now we know.

allstarsplus
09-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Great stuff! Just got home from the Nats / Phillies game and the MLB Authenticator in the home dugout caught a foul ball in the camera well which was very cool.

April 10, 1962
09-10-2009, 11:30 PM
He is also affiliated with law enforcement. All of the MLB Authenticators are part of the Security Program.

whatupyos
09-10-2009, 11:37 PM
What a bad assed job! Where do I sign up for that gig!!

coxfan
09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Outstanding! Just what we've needed. Thanks.

April 10, 1962
09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I was once told that MLB recruits the candidates for Authenticators. It is not something that can be applied for. I've talked to quite a few authenticators and they appear to be very thorough.

suave1477
09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is something interesting to think about - not to throw salt in it but it can happen.

What if an Authenticator sits at a game and wants to put into the system it is a Home Run ball or something, keeps the ball and then trys to turn around and sell it on his own???
(Meaning - he fakes a Game Used ball as a Home Run ball)

Not saying of that is taking place but it can happen.

Just food for thought!!

April 10, 1962
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Here is something interesting to think about - not to throw salt in it but it can happen.

What if an Authenticator sits at a game and wants to put into the system it is a Home Run ball or something, keeps the ball and then trys to turn around and sell it on his own???
(Meaning - he fakes a Game Used ball as a Home Run ball)

Not saying of that is taking place but it can happen.

Just food for thought!!

That possibility is why they recruit the candidates. I also know MLB has a strict policy on authenticating home run balls that go into the stands. They only authenticate home runs that have a clear chain of command and MLB has to review and approve the hologram after the game is over. Without the hologram or an LOA on team letterhead signed by someone in the front office, I think it would be hard to sell a ball that was "supposedly" a home run. It does boil down to the integrity of the authenticator. They could mismatch a hologram (theoretically) between a home run and a regular game ball, but that is why MLB uses police for this program. They want people who are thorough. And they keep details of the balls they authenticate. Many of them have worked MLB security before and are well known by the MLB office. I think the MLB system has way more integrity than some thrid party authentication company that uses people to "use their opinion" on legit items and autographs. MLB will not authenticate, even if it is legit, if their person doesn't witness it. I just know this from talking with a few authenticators.

allstarsplus
09-11-2009, 03:36 PM
That possibility is why they recruit the candidates. I also know MLB has a strict policy on authenticating home run balls that go into the stands. They only authenticate home runs that have a clear chain of command and MLB has to review and approve the hologram after the game is over. Without the hologram or an LOA on team letterhead signed by someone in the front office, I think it would be hard to sell a ball that was "supposedly" a home run. It does boil down to the integrity of the authenticator. They could mismatch a hologram (theoretically) between a home run and a regular game ball, but that is why MLB uses police for this program. They want people who are thorough. And they keep details of the balls they authenticate. Many of them have worked MLB security before and are well known by the MLB office. I think the MLB system has way more integrity than some thrid party authentication company that uses people to "use their opinion" on legit items and autographs. MLB will not authenticate, even if it is legit, if their person doesn't witness it. I just know this from talking with a few authenticators.

We actually just discussed the HR ball issue on another thread and the training film for authenticatores showed where they saw a fan catch a HR ball and stick it in one pocket and pull out another ball and throw it on the field.